Help

First Grade

guided reading

>

xnanny

guided reading
Old 02-12-2011, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are your best tips for guided reading? I have always had difficulties with the other students doing work at their desks. I can usually depend on most of them to stay on task but I have 2 students who really have to be kept an eye on. They disturb everybody. Even if I put them at a space by themselves they will still bother people and me. Both are very immature and want a lot of attention. Thanks in advance

xnanny is offline   Reply With Quote

mozza

Special carpet, timer and playdough
Old 02-12-2011, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here's an idea that I borrowed from the Daily 5. I had a very wiggly student last year... VERY wiggly!
I grabbed a few sample pieces of fabric of different textures from Wal-Mart, a sand egg timer, and a small thingy of playdough. The little student was allowed to choose his favorite fabric to use as his own 'special' spot to sit. He then had to start the timer and work on reading/writing or whatever until the time ran out. Then he flipped the timer over and was allowed to play with the playdough until the time ran out. Then flip the timer and work... then flip and play... repeat and repeat!
This took about two days of training and then worked beautifully until the end of the year! HTH!
mozza
mozza is offline   Reply With Quote

PaulaK

disruptions
Old 02-12-2011, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I normally will call the student to my desk and they have to sit with the other reading group (more exposure to other strategies that way) I did make an area for one that he had to work on his own and not move out of that spot. when he did his tasks successfully he got stickers and then got to try being with the group again.
PaulaK is offline   Reply With Quote