The VENT

Update on students segregated by shirt color

>

disgusted

disgusted

Update on students segregated by shirt color
Old 01-10-2012, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Back in December I posted that my principal had asked for students to wear white shirts on these crazy assembly days that we have each month. This is a public school, and while students are required to wear uniform they may wear either white, teal, gray, or black. Not everyone purchases white shirts and it's okay as long as their not in uniform. If students were not wearing white, he made them move to another area of the cafetorium and told them they were not allowed to sit in the center with everyone else.

I came here for advice and decided to follow it. I sent anonymous letters to the superintendent, area superintendent, school board members. etc, eight letters in total. Well they responded and my principal told us that the superintendent said that he could do that.I don't believe him because he has been caught in lies on several occasions. He said from now on that he wanted us to separate the kids before they get to the cafeteria and send the to the designated area right when we come in so he doesn't have to announce it. If it's okay for him to do this as he says, why is he asking us to do this? So now he's asking us to segregate the children on our own. All teachers are bothered by this. I don't know what else to do.

trishg1

Old 01-10-2012, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This will have reprocussions, but if you really want something to happen, get the parents involved. It could be as simple as dropping a hint to a student about it. If a student whines to you encourage his mom to call the super.
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

dress code
Old 01-10-2012, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe the local newspaper would like to hear about it?
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

Liar
Old 01-10-2012, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

He sounds like a liar and he needs to be stopped. Seriously.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

aeiouteach

What a jerk
Old 01-10-2012, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What if parents can't afford a white shirt?? If the dress code allows other colors, then any of those should suffice on any given day, assembly or not.

aeiouteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Who me?

Old 01-10-2012, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the update. Always nice to know what happens after the story.

Given my big mouth, I know I'd bring it up in the staff meeting. I would say that I am uncomfortable doing this.
Could you find others who don't like it and support each other in the staff meeting as you guys bring it up? This way it is not just you, but it is a group of teachers.
Who me? is offline   Reply With Quote
supervision

supervision

Old 01-10-2012, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

How is supervision handled at the assembly?
At ours we are to supervise our class and seat class students together. I could not supervise students in different areas.

I might bring up the supervison issue at a faculty meeting. Or I might send a supervision question in writing so that he (hopefully) would reply in writing and be on record. Unless I got a written response on supervision I'd ignore his edict. (but that's just me. I have enough years in and am in a system where my union would protect me)

klarabelle

Old 01-10-2012, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would resend my letters letting the addressees know what is now happening. I would also notify the newspapers, and like pp said get parents involved. P is discriminating against students. Its illegal and I would not be doing it. If he wants it done than he needs to put his request in writing.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

westwitch

What am I missing?
Old 01-10-2012, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

What difference does it make if the kids are wearing some version of the required uniform? Do white shirts make them listen better?

If I had uniform choices, white would be the last color I'd choose: they're hard to keep clean, show every bit of dirt, and underwear show under them.

Why doesn't he order some school T-Shirts to wear on assembly days if he's so hell-bent on conformity?
westwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

RebeccaH

Parents.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

As others have said parents hold the most power not us as teachers. I would also sit with the kids who don't wear white. If all the teachers did that he would be left to look after most of the school.
Gee it sounds like what happened 40 + years ago. Aren't all children equal. That child can't wear one because maybe it is either food on the table or a white shirt. Because the principal wants it???
Pity Christmas has gone otherwise the staff could buy him a white tee shirt and make him wear it. Lets us know what happens.

RebeccaH is offline   Reply With Quote

Cenicienta

Weird!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It sounds like your principal is conducting some deranged social experiment regarding segregation. Is this behavior in any way tying into the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday coming up? To have students grasp the idea of discrimination in a concrete way? I don't know. Maybe he is just waiting to see who will speak up and who will put up.
Cenicienta is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Di

Cenicienta & RebeccaH
Old 01-10-2012, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I was wondering the same thing, like what they did 40+ years ago segregating the students with blue eyes vs. brown eyes.

The P needs to be questioned about WHY he's doing this - it's wrong! Could the teachers go buy some cheap white t-shirts to throw on the students before assemblies?!

How do the students feel about it?!
Lady Di is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 01-10-2012, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

If I were told to separate children based on the colours of their shirts, I'd "forget" and have the principal make me move the kids around in front of the whole assembly. . . but then I'm a little passive aggressive.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Boomhauer

Old 01-10-2012, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Alert the media, and definitely get the parents involved. Are there any parents that you are close with that you could drop a hint at? Have any of the parents said anything on their own at all?
Boomhauer is offline   Reply With Quote

RebeccaH

Do Parents Come to Assembly?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Do your parents go to the assembly? We take it in turn here to run the assembly and then about 90% are there. I just wonder what their reaction would be if they saw it. Principals hate parents who complain about something and then they fix it.

Lorelei Lee

Your principal...
Old 01-11-2012, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

is a nut! What difference does it make that they are wearing a white shirt on assembly day?? This sounds like a control issue that your principal has. I would throw a fit and they would sit with my class or I would have some extra white shirts in my room for those poor kids to change into. I feel sorry for the kids...
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

wha???
Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Okay, i agree - go to the parents. squeeky wheels get oiled first kwim!

I just read this post, not your original and I am astrounded. At first I thought you meant for a special assembly or photo so they look pretty. I can get that. We wear red white and blue and get seperated on patriot day so ti looks pretty for a photo. BUT NOT EVERY DAY that is STUPID. Does he not have some real work to do? Can you imagine his home an dhim seperating things there? Is his car white? is HE white? maybe HE needs to be seperated.
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote
janeypoo:D

janeypoo:D

Okay...
Old 01-11-2012, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I think he is out of line. I do. I really, really do. BUT, as someone who has worked at a school who has uniforms with specific things allowed on specific days that I don't see if as huge of an issue as some on this thread are making it. This is NOT the same type of segregation as was experienced in our past and it shouldn't be compared to those terrible times. ANYONE can procure a white t-shirt. They come in packs of three for five bucks. If the kids who don't have the T-shirts don't own anything that costs more than five bucks I can see that issue. But I'll be a monkey's uncle if the kids in question actually don't. So the whole money thing is also a mute point. All the kids could participate if they wanted, even if kid hearted teachers paid five bucks for three shirts and snuck them into the backpacks for the kids they know can't participate otherwise. There are also white T-shirts for a quarter at Goodwill. The cost isn't the issue.

The REAL issue is that tax payers money is being wasted on weird bureaucratic policies that serve no purpose. There shouldn't be rules "just because." There should be a legitimate purpose behind everything at school. This rule has no legitimate purpose and is wasting everyone's time being enforced. That is just silly. Parents hsould be the ones to complain and have it stopped, though, because honestly no one cares what teachers think. It's your job to listen to the principal. It is the principals job to listen to the superindendent. It is the superindendents job to listen to the parents. Have the parents call the super. I would hint drop as a PP suggested.

LawrenceRose

What is the point?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Janeypoo, I took this post to mean that the students have a choice of several colors of UNIFORM shirts, including white, and on the assembly days they must wear the white. However, they are not required to buy a white shirt, that is just one of their options. Therefore, the families that can only afford to purchase one uniform shirt, or even two but just did not choose to buy white as one of those two (which I wouldn't do if I were the parent of a young child either), then they are being descriminated against. The specific uniform shirts may be very expensive, not simply a 25 cent white tshirt from Goodwill. I understand what you are saying, but I disagree that money is not an issue here.

As for the entire concept of this, I am flabbergasted. Has anyone figured out the point of this white shirt rule or the segregation practices? I am dying to know WHY, otherwise I may not sleep ever again, just lying awake at night, wondering...
LawrenceRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

janeypoo

Suspended

Old 01-11-2012, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Sorry, I couldn't sign in before...

Lawrence, that's what I am saying...I worked at a poverty level school with the same uniform options (same colors, ironically, expect we had to disallow black for some gang related reason I STILL don't understand)and I don't think there is such a family that can't pay a quarter for a uniform shirt or find one for free somewhere. A lot of churches even give them away for free. Goodwill has TONS because the kids who move up give theirs away.My prinicpal even let 8th graders give theirs up for free dance admission at the end of the year and kids can have free uniform shirts if they want (and we always have a bunch leftover.)Don't get me wrong, I don't like uniforms at all. I don't. I don't think they do much in the way of good. The kids at my middle school were OBSESSED with shoes. OBSESSED. There will always be a way to tell the rich from the poor and the westsiders from the eastsiders or whatever reason. But I don't believe that there is REALLY anyone who actually can't afford the shirt UNLESS they can't ever afford a quarter EVER for one shirt (and yes, Polos are a QUARTER at our Goodwill. Name brand uniform Polos.) Or a buck. Or five bucks at Walmart (yes, these ARE uniform shirts I am talking about.) There may be a new family that has no ENglish Language skills that can truly find nowhere to get their supplies, but someone (usually the teacher who has the kid ) always finds resources for them. I truly do understand because I work in a district that has unforms, but because of this Walmart DOES carry them and Goodwill really does have tons. Unless this community's businesses don't cater to their clientele, I STILL don't see the money issue. I DO see the assinine rule issue. I think if people use the point that some children can't afford white shirts as the reason it will not be taken seriously (or, at the very best, resources and fundraising time will be used to procure some) IF the community rallies around the idea of uniforms as much as mine does (and if the schools have uniforms in the first place, they probably do.) I do think pointless rules and practices, wasting educational time, etc DOES have a figting chance.

My school had kids wear different colors for different grades for assemblies, but my principal made the shirt colors be non uniform colors. Most the kids did it because it was a day for them to be "out of uniform." No one got "segregated" if they didn't, though.

Last edited by janeypoo; 01-11-2012 at 04:26 PM..
janeypoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

janeypoo

Suspended
O glorious handbook
Old 01-11-2012, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I just remembered...we tried to "outlaw" black shirts in the middle of one year and parents complained. They stated that the rule was not in the handbook for that school year so the superindendent let black shirts stay for the remainder of the year for this reason. Maybe try that? Hopefully you guys have a handbook to use. I do still think it has to be parents to do this , though. Teachers don't get very far with these kinds of things. If you do an anonymous letter, make sure it's a "parent" that sends it.
janeypoo is offline   Reply With Quote

3drummers

Old 01-11-2012, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

What about getting a package of the 5 for $10 white tshirts in a large enough size to fit over any of the kids and slip them over the existing shirt for those that don't have or forgot white on the way to assembly. Have them give them back afterward. They may end up wrinkled or dirty after awhile but they'll be in white.
I know it's giving in but it's one of those "whatever" moments - like I just wouldn't care to fight it after all that.
3drummers is offline   Reply With Quote
disgusted

disgusted

Old 01-12-2012, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

1. He already thinks it's a parent who complained. He thinks it was a PTA parent. He still doesn't care.

2. No, this is not some kind of experiment. This man is insane. He requires us to keep our tvs on all day so the kids have something to look at when they get tired of listening to us. His exact words.

3. T shirts are not an option. They will be sent home for wearing one. It must be the white polo with the school emblem. What parent is going to go scrounging around for a free white uniform shirt on his whim? Some parents don't check agendas and have no idea that their kids have been asked to wear white. Smaller children put on whatever their parents tell them to. It's like pulling teeth to get people to come for conferences. You think they care about wearing a white shirt on a certain day? But the child is punished.

4. It is a big deal IMO. We actually had trainers come from downtown to do a poverty workshop and the were dumbfounded. They said it's illegal and if he wants that then he should provide the shirts.

RebeccaH

An idea
Old 01-12-2012, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Sorry already commented about the shirts.... but the tv bit. Next time there is a staff meeeting or he wants to talk... you should all have some electrical appliance going... answer when you got tired of listening to him you needed something to do. He does sound insane. I have had a few weird ones but not like this. I couldn't stand the noise with a tv going all day.. what about kids who have hearing problems. All kids are going to watch tv instead of work. I would. What do they watch. Some afternoon tv here I wouldn't have kids watching.
Keep us posted.
Janeypoo:D

Janeypoo:D

No, no no
Old 01-13-2012, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I didn't mean that parents should complain to HIM. They need to start going to the superindenent. My principal stuck by his "no black" rule no matter WHO complained. Complaining to him isn't going to work and changing HIS mind is not going to work. The super will have to get NUMEROUS complaints, not just one letter.

silverteach

WHY do they have to wear the white shirt??
Old 01-13-2012, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

What is the reason for designating a certain color of shirt for the students to wear during an assembly? What does is matter what color of shirt they wear to sit in an audience at an assembly? Strange.
silverteach is offline   Reply With Quote