Help

BusyBoard

Purging feels good

>

froggy4

Purging feels good
Old 07-13-2012, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hopefully this is the right board for this. I'm finally going through my almost 20 years of teaching files and I'm purging big time. I hang on to things because I'm sure I'll need it later, can't bear to throw it away, spent money on it at one time, or inherited it from someone else and never went through it. I even have a box of good materials for our student teachers and interns to go through. I'm excited to go back to school and see how much more space I have. If it weren't for getting new carpet this summer I might never have gotten around to doing this. Just had to share the good feeling. I'm even decluttering the house a little at a time as well.

froggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

scootertalks

Yeah!
Old 07-13-2012, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Way to go!! Hopefully your post will motivate the rest of us classroom hoarders No, I'm not that bad, although I do need to go through my things....
scootertalks is offline   Reply With Quote

lasflores

I purged today too
Old 07-13-2012, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I went through my file cabinets and purged a ton. Lots of stuff has been in my room since before I got there.
lasflores is offline   Reply With Quote

DaisyBear

I understand
Old 07-13-2012, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am moving campuses and I tell you what, moving EVERYTHING makes you get rid of stuff and it has kept me from buying things this summer. Congrats on the clean up!
DaisyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

QueenBee2011

Me too!
Old 07-13-2012, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've been doing the same thing this summer. I am soooo happy too. It is just the best feeling to walk into a clean closet and finding what I need right away. Love It!

QueenBee2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJteachfirst

Purge
Old 07-14-2012, 12:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I went through a lot of my stuff last year. I like to change stuff every year and some things I just never used. It made me feel so much better and made life easier!
NJteachfirst is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan Teacher

Good idea to get rid of stuff...
Old 07-14-2012, 03:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm moving rooms so maybe this is the time for me to get rid of a lot of stuff I don't use. We have a HIGH turnover rate at our school this year! A new 3rd, 4th, 5th, and two middle school teachers will be new this year. I'm sure they would be happy to have some of my stuff I don't use anymore!
Susan Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

middlemac

It does feel great!
Old 07-14-2012, 03:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you haven't used In 2 years, throw or give away.
middlemac is offline   Reply With Quote

Century46

books
Old 07-14-2012, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am also purging this year, focusing on books. I have so many now that I can't find anything. Now have over 2000 in bins for other teachers to go through to build up their classroom libraries...I had many book club sets, and am now doing more of a Reader's Workshop approach with more choice, so don't need so many copies. I am so excited to have the room.

Also needed to do because I have been looping for years but will now go to one grade level, so don't need so many. Of course, I just ordered a bunch more books from Amazon...because I really can't control the addition to literature.
Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote

froggy4

Books are the most difficult...
Old 07-14-2012, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

for me to purge. I had bought class sets of The Magic Treehouse before I switched grades. They are sitting in my closet. Too much money tied up in those, but I may see if a primary teacher or interns would like to purchase them. I had a tendency to move grade levels a lot in the past, but I think they are leaving me alone for awhile now, so it might be safe to sell these books now, .

froggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rt2learn

Old 07-14-2012, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It's amazing how many of us are so much alike. We hate to throw away some things that we have in our classrooms.

I started going through my stuff this summer, throwing away, reorganizing, etc.

When I taught a lower grade, I purchased class sets of some books. Yes, too much money in them to throw away. Yet, I hate to give away, but I'm not sure what price to put on them. Also, not sure that anyone would want them. So, here they are, still collecting dust and taking us space!
Rt2learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Winn-Dixie

Old 07-14-2012, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I've been doing the same thing at home. I'm getting rid of some 2nd and 3rd materials, since I'm going into 4th this year. I just can't bring myself to part with my teacher resource books! They aren't going to be helpful for 4th grade (except for maybe at the beginning I can use some 3rd stuff). So they are just sitting in a closet. Then I have about 5 units that I worked really hard at developing and don't want to toss. So I still have a lot of things, but am slowly working on getting rid of a lot.
Winn-Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

decluttering
Old 07-14-2012, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Yay! I know that feeling well! I just purged one whole file cabinet drawer at school the other day. It was much needed. What a great feeling to have an entire drawer to use for something!

I did the same thing with my bedroom at the beginning of the summer. Good feeling! It even inspired my teen dd!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

declutter
Old 07-14-2012, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I really need to do this! This is my 4th year in the same classroom. That has never happened in all my years teaching. I love it but it sure has allowed me to gather a bunch of STUFF. I moved my filing cabinet so now it will be easier to go through it and clean it out.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 07-14-2012, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Good for you! It does feel great. I inherited a classroom full of stuff, which was nice since I didn't have anything. I finally got through the room for the 3rd time (in 4 yrs) and got rid of things I knew I'd never use. My predecessor was a pack rat, but I'm not much better. It sure gets easier. Splitting my class helped, too. I gave the new teacher lots. She didn't have anything.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

lynned

I guess
Old 07-14-2012, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

we are all on the right track. I cleaned out my file cabinet right before I left school and I'm getting rid of some 2nd grade science and social studies kits that I never even used that was sitting in my basement. I promised to give them to a co-worker. she's just starting off.
lynned is offline   Reply With Quote

summer4fun

Funny...
Old 07-14-2012, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

froggy4, I just came upstairs from the basement where I am weeding through 20 years of teaching, too! I have had it/kept it for all the same reasons you mentioned, and the fact that I have changed grade levels so often, I always think I will need it when I go back to the grade level. (Hopefully I will stay in this grade level for awhile...or I will have to start from scratch.) Oh, no! I am having second thoughts...NO step away from the recycling bin! HeeHee!

This week, I have loads to take to the curb...Yeah!

It was funny to open up this post and read this, since I am right with you! I agree...it is liberating!
summer4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Gr8Profession

Good for you!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

It is so freeing to get rid of the things you don't really need. The space is fabulous!!
Gr8Profession is offline   Reply With Quote

gr8ideas

Reading Banish Clutter Forever
Old 07-15-2012, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Began to de-clutter classroom at the end of the year....now I am clearing out at home. Teacher stuff, crafting stuff, and general stuff...I'm beginning to think I was on my way to becoming a hoarder. I feel 1/2 ton lighter...and I am still working! Good to know I am not alone. Keep going ladies!
gr8ideas is offline   Reply With Quote