Help

Kindergarten

Blog vs. website

>

me&mykids

Blog vs. website
Old 07-30-2012, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help!!! I am debating between a classroom blog or a classroom website. What is the best way to go to display things like supply list, behavior mgmt. procedures & especially daily activities for parents to see?
Also do you know of the best place to get started?
Thanks!

me&mykids is offline   Reply With Quote

pianowoman41

You will get several opinions on this :)
Old 07-30-2012, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a website for 12 years (since 1999) called Maggie's Kinder Corner. Two years ago I discontinued the site in favor of a free blog on blogger. For the most part it has been great!
I still have people who had thought I no longer had a site, period. However, over the months people have begun to find me again. The downside to blogs is they are hard to keep private. I am trying something this year with a Student Portal link from the main page on my blog. From the link they will go to a secondary class page that requires a password. I think it will work fine, but we'll see.
Another option, also free, is to open a shutterfly account and begin using it after you have a list of all parents with email or computer access this year. It is easy to set up an account and communicate in Shutterfly, so you might really like it. The downside to shutterfly was that not many people use it, so they are not as familiar with it as facebook.

There is also a teacher's website host that charges a yearly fee. I always try to do "free" options for a site if at all possible.

I know others will have suggestions
Maggie
pianowoman41 is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Old 07-30-2012, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have had a website to share ideas with teachers for years. For the last two years I have used the "blog" feature on it since it automatically organizes new information by category. I use Shutterfly (free) for my class though. That way I can show pictures of what we do at school and parents have to log in with their own private password.( I still make sure that parents don't mind pictures of their kids going on the internet.) I also use it to have parents sign up for things to bring for parties, times for conferences, etc. AND if parents want to purchase photos of their kids from Shutterfly, they can without me being involved at all. There is a calendar for upcoming events and I can upload newsletters and things if I want to. It will even send out email reminders about due dates (Scholastic, permission slips, etc.).
learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

pianowoman41

learntogether, I would have loved it if
Old 07-30-2012, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Shutterfly had taken off, because of the password feature. I really like a lot of features on that site.
I decided to drop my paid site. It was 120.00 a year at the time. 1200.00 in 10 years is too much With google docs being free, and blogger being free...I can accomplish the same thing with a farther reach. I am like you. I like the catagories and archive features on the blog.
pianowoman41 is offline   Reply With Quote

rlygr8

learntogether
Old 07-31-2012, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank YOU, Thank YOU!! I have been working on making a class blog for my parents all weekend. And, it just wasn't coming together. After reading your post, I got right on Shutterfly and within an hour - I have it all ready to go except for my class list. Thank you. I think it will be perfect. And, it solves another problem. I always do a big scrapbook at the end of the year filled with lots of pictures. With my loss of IA time, thie pictures have been cut way done (with 60+ kids - I can't do it by myself). With this site, parents can see what is going on in the classroom and can also purchase pictures.

Thanks for sharing. You made my day!!

rlygr8 is offline   Reply With Quote

me&mykids

Thanks
Old 07-31-2012, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks so much for taking your time to help. Greatly appreciated!!

me&mykids

Another Question
Old 07-31-2012, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

So I can set up a website on this Shutterfly? Can I have a sidebar with supply lists, behavior letter, etc. on it?
Just wondering because I didn't want to set something up & it not have what I need & then be unable to use my name on another website/blog.
Thanks so much for your imput.

rlygr8

Yes!
Old 07-31-2012, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There is a place for files. You can upload your supply list and it would appear on the side. Parents click supply list and they can see it. On the side it also has a place that you can post links and take parents directly to the link. It also has an Amazon link - but I was not finding the books I would read to put in the link. Will need to work on this somemore.

In the main part there is a place where you can put newsletters, etc. Last night I made mine up within an hour - I had my claendar for the year done, about 10 links for parents to go to for themselves and to help support their kinder.

Love it!!!
rlygr8 is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Old 07-31-2012, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

So glad the Shutterfly idea was helpful.
learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

DaisyBear

I have both!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Here they are:

http://www.teacherweb.com/TX/Copperf...der/apt13.aspx

http://sprinklestokindergarten.blogspot.com/

DaisyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

oceankids

Shutterfly site
Old 08-07-2012, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hi All
Would anyone be willing to share their site they made on Shutterfly. I was trying to make one and it was not cooperating. I would just like an idea of how you set it up. TIA
oceankids is offline   Reply With Quote