Help

Third Grade

Accountability for homework

>

Ilikecatz07

Accountability for homework
Old 08-07-2012, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year teaching. Last year, I student taught third grade as well and what I noticed that every night the homework was assigned, some students would have no interest in doing these worksheets. Some students haven't missed a day of homework, while others who are capable of solving the problems would just write down random answers just to make the homework look "complete" as they are not really graded.

How would you hold students accountable for homework and how do you go about checking homework more efficiently.

I would check homework at the end of every day, but by that point it doesn't really matter who did it or not or whether the answers were correct or wrong, and when I pass the checked homework back, some students throw it in the recycle bin. How do I prevent that?

Ilikecatz07 is offline   Reply With Quote

123rabbit

homework accountability
Old 08-07-2012, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Every Friday afternoon we go over the weekly homework together. Anyone that does not have theirs gets a folder mark. I assign a math sheet, reading comprehension passage and a story to write.
I often give stickers or a small treat for the students getting everything completed.
123rabbit is online now   Reply With Quote

Michele10

Homeworkoploy
Old 08-08-2012, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Since I started having my students play homeworkopoly I don't have issues with students turning in homework. If you get on Pinterest, I just downloaded a pre-made game for nothing. It is adorable and it was so easy to make. I just put homeworkopoly in the search on Pinterest and had tons of hits.
Michele10 is offline   Reply With Quote

amyt682

accountability for homework
Old 08-11-2012, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a reward chart for each student. It is just an index card that I have drawn 25 boxes. It got expensive buying the sticker charts. They keep their chart cards in a library pocket. All the pockets are kept in a box on my projector cart... For those that complete homework, they get to fill a box in on their chart. For those that get all the problems correct, they get an addition box filled in. After they have 25 boxes filled in they get something out of my prize box. Right now I have candy, mechanical pencils, mini highlighters, and mini comp notebooks as prizes, but it changes throughout the year depending on what I find on sale/clearance.
amyt682 is offline   Reply With Quote