Help

BusyBoard

Class library

>

gege1

Class library
Old 08-08-2012, 04:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is their a specific way to organize books for a classroom library, I usually just put them in hard back / soft back order..... Yea I kno kinda lame, but I want to do it differently. Am going in today to put up my word wall get my reading corner done and mayb my class work bulletin board I bought some quite bins for my books just wanted some ideas how to stock them.

gege1 is offline   Reply With Quote

fromkto3

Old 08-08-2012, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Before this year I just had my books sorted into two categories, books for Scholastic quizzes and all other books. The books for Scholastic quizzes were leveled.

This year I still have my leveled Scholastic books, but I organized all my other books by genre, including:

Realistic and humorous fiction
Mysteries
Fantasy and sci-fi (a separate basked is dedicated to Magic Tree House because I have so many)
Fables, fairy tales, and myths
Animal fiction (with one separate basket dedicated to Berenstain Bears)
Informational Science (separate basket for Magic School Bus)
Biographies/Autobiographies
Misc. Picture books
Poetry

My books all have a level written on the inside cover so I can determine if it is a good fit book for a student at a glance. I keep a few of the Scholastic Books leveled and separate because my school requires students to take so many quizzes a year, so having a few of them separate is easier than checking on the computer if there is a quiz for that particular book each time. I use the colored dot stickers to organize the books so students know where to put them when they are finished reading them.

I have a few books that I'm not sure where to put, like 2 historical fiction books, a book about the Superbowl, a book of magic tricks. I may have to make a misc. basket.

Hope that helps!
fromkto3 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Classroom Library
Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here is a recent post that might give you some ideas.

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=422021

If I were you, I would also scope out other classrooms in your building. How do they organize their classroom libraries? Do they use guided reading level, DRA, etc.? Do they use labeled baskets?

Whichever way you decide to do this, you will need to teach your students how your classroom library works so they can keep it in order. You don't want to spend ten minutes per day getting it back into the order it should be. Depending on the grade you teach, this may take several lessons upfront and review lessons throughout the year.

If you are going to have to level your library, Scholastic's Book Wizard site is a good one for getting the info you will need.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms.KKD

By Genre
Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I organize my (extensive) library by genre. You can find some free genre library labels here---> http:// clutter free classroom. blogspot.com /2011/07/ free-genre-labels-for-your-classroom .html

Just take out the spaces...
Ms.KKD is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

my library
Old 08-08-2012, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My class library is sorted by guided reading levels (2nd grade). I find that my students have a difficult time finding a "just right" book in the mixed book tubs.

javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

DaisyBear

Here is how I do it
Old 08-08-2012, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Here is my blog post

http://sprinklestokindergarten.blogs...room%20Library
DaisyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

gege1

Thanks
Old 08-08-2012, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for all the replies and ideas, I worked in my class from 10 am today until 7 this evening!!!! After redoing my reading center over like 5000 times ( I know right )!!! Had to run out to buy fabric to get neck roll pillows made to match the square one.....

Don't know if as a junior member if am allowed to post picss???? But if I am am going to be VERY angry considering I left the house this morning without my IPad !!!

Am Exhausted"......... But I think it all comes with being an organize, Excellent teacher!!

Once again thanks!!!
gege1 is offline   Reply With Quote