Help

The VENT

Sick, sick, sick of it!

>

lafogosa

Sick, sick, sick of it!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My district pays once a month. They paid us today and we won't get paid again until January 31.

I'm getting 8 more students because we had to collapse a class. Before, I had the smallest first grade class. Now I have the largest, and with really low students to boot!

I'm sick of spending precious teaching and planning time on non-teaching/non-classroom related silliness-surveys, selling things, chasing parents for paperwork....

I'm sick of kids walking in the class late every day, and nothing is done about it.

I'm sick of the fact that school lets out at 2:10, but we have parents who CONSISTENTLY pick their kids up after 3:00, leaving the office staff to babysit them. Of course, they're not usually the pleasurable kids.

I hate that we have a mandatory training later today on making powerpoint games, yet district writing assessments are due FRIDAY and grades are also due. We NEED the scraps of planning time we are given.

I either need to get out of the public school system, out of the classroom (doing small groups), or out of teaching.

lafogosa is offline   Reply With Quote

schoolgirl3

You are singing the song
Old 12-20-2012, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

of most teachers I know! (Not the paid once a month part. Who negotiated that for you?)

Hang on, your break is coming. You are right though. Something needs to change or teachers will be leaving in droves.

I wish you peace and hope that you can relax over your break.
schoolgirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coyote8

Old 12-20-2012, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Worked in the same district for 27 years, and we've always only been paid once a month. Doesn't bother me, I just make sure to watch and budget my money.
Coyote8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Isis2

Pay day
Old 12-21-2012, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We get paid once a month too. I think that's true of my whole state.
Isis2 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

We also get paid once a month.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would like to be paid every two weeks, but I can live with once a month. I generally pay all my bills when I get paid, and then whatever is left can go into savings, or into my pocket.
My biggest beef is some changes we made in our school lunch program. (I think this is Michelle Obama's thing). The students have a choice of two different things for lunch. So instead of just asking how many kids want the school lunch in the mornings, we have to ask them whether they want choice A or choice B, or whether they brought a lunch from home. It seems like it takes forever to get the lunch orders taken in the morning. Add in any fundraisers, or permission slips and you have a good half hour wasted before you can do any teaching.

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coyote8

Old 12-21-2012, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our school lunch has changed ( M. Obama's doing) for the better. We are getting more choices and more to eat on our plates. We don't have to make the choices ahead. Students choose as they go through the line. Our lunches are better. More choices, and larger portions.

woodstocktchr

3 choices
Old 12-21-2012, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have three choice for hot lunch every day (A, B, or C), and every day the students go through the lunch line and have to accept/reject the sides on their tray. Between morning ordering and supervising the lunch line (to be sure the students are answering the lunch ladies), we easily lose 10 - 15 minutes of time each day.
woodstocktchr is offline   Reply With Quote

PTROCKS

Got Paid Early Too!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

That really stinks if you spend your funds before the usual payday and have to wait. Doesn't help those with no self control by no means. The next payday is a long time away. I don't think the district does it to be mean though. It may really help some that need it that early anyway for the holiday.
PTROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote

jks

2 choices less food
Old 12-21-2012, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We have 2 choices, or a salad once a week. The portions are much smaller. It is tacos, nachos, or wraps every other day. Don't see that it is any healthier.
jks is offline   Reply With Quote

Coyote8

Old 12-21-2012, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Wow, jks, I should send you our menus for the month. Last week we had chilli soup, baked chicken, pizza, beef burgers, and lasagna noodle bake. Elementary students now have a full cup of sides, instead of a 1/2 cup. All meals had a choice of veggies or fruit, usually both. We never have nachos. We do have tacos and wraps once in a while. We also have lots more fresh fruit.

lily74

lunch choices
Old 12-21-2012, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

With regard to wasted time in the morning, I have my students move a 'lunchstick' (a popsicle stick with their name on the front and a magnet on the back stuck n the board). The choices are up on the board and they just put their stick under whichever choice they want. It wastes a lot less time, then I (sometimes) just read off the name to confirm their choice. (Actually do this a lot less now..they just get the lunch they chose in the morning.)
lily74 is offline   Reply With Quote

jks

CoyoteB
Old 12-22-2012, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yes, send me your menu! We never have soup, which I love and the kids do too. We will have grilled cheese on wheat bread, hot dogs on wheat bread buns, or ham and cheese on wheat.
We do have a little more fruit: oranges or apples that the teachers must cut into slices using the machine, or carrots.
jks is offline   Reply With Quote

AX Pendergast

Two points
Old 12-22-2012, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
I'm sick of the fact that school lets out at 2:10, but we have parents who CONSISTENTLY pick their kids up after 3:00, leaving the office staff to babysit them. Of course, they're not usually the pleasurable kids.
I assume this is an elementary school. I know that 15 min after final bell, if a child is still waiting to be picked up the office first calls parents; if there's no contact, then they call school police and report the parent. Sounds harsh, but it works.

Quote:
I hate that we have a mandatory training later today on making powerpoint games, yet district writing assessments are due FRIDAY and grades are also due. We NEED the scraps of planning time we are given.
Who sets the meeting/PD schedule for your school? It should be a mutually agreed upon system. If you're being asked to attend PD anytime during a testing period, get the teachers together and demand change.
AX Pendergast is offline   Reply With Quote

3drummers

Old 12-24-2012, 10:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

One of the best things our school has ever done is set up a secure box (like a mailbox) in the office where families drop all PTO related stuff. Slips for after school classes, fundraisers, etc. all go there and I never have to deal with them. Love it!
The only thing I have to collect are permission slips for our own class field trips and we only do at most 3 per year.

For lunches, our district has never made us count kids. They must have some sort of guesstimate of how many lunches they will need on any given day. They have two choices and the new fruit veggie choices each day. Kids just choose at the lunch window as they go through the line. Since our school has 1350 kids K-5 they just must make a lot.
3drummers is offline   Reply With Quote

RebeccaH

If you are paid monthly????
Old 12-25-2012, 02:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We are paid fortnightly but that means we get 26 pays a year. If you are paid monthly then you only get 12. You really miss out on one.
In Australia they often tell you to pay your mortage every two weeks as then you pay an extra one a year so are in front.
We don't have lunch issues they must bring their own.
RebeccaH is offline   Reply With Quote