How were the Christmas parties?

>

Suspended

MsMomma

Suspended
How were the Christmas parties?
Old 12-21-2012, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our party was today, and I think I over planned. Oh well, the kids may not be eating until Christmas.

I got an electric jug and made hot cocoa. They had that when they came in, and I gave them their presents (Play-Doh, Stencils, and a Christmas cup with their names on it).

Then we had to go to the school program. One class (not mine) from each grade performed. It seemed like the 1st graders did the best and it progressively got...more interesting...from there.

By the time that was over, we pretty much had lunch, specials, and recess.

The grade ordered four pizzas for each class (which worked out to be about two slices per person). A few students brought chips. Then came the desserts. Oh.my.gosh. Let me tell you, I'm SOOOO glad we couldn't do the party until the end of the day. NOTHING would've been accomplished then except for an even more messy classroom.

This was my first elementary school hoorah, so how did yours go...whether it was today or last week?

MsMomma is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

No Classroom Christmas parties here
Old 12-21-2012, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our school district does not allow us to celebrate Christmas because we have a few students from families that do not celebrate this holiday. So no parties, santas, carols, christmas trees or FUN! Bummer...
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For the first time ever in my years of teaching, I didn't have to do anything. The room parent and her helpers did it all. It was nice. Very low key as far as food, some candy and iced trees. The hardest part was keeping the kids occupied until the end of the day.

And another rare event, most of the kids thanked me for the small gift I got them. That usually doesn't happen! Maybe it's because they are older but I appreciated that.
Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

fish2

Old 12-21-2012, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

On our last full day (it was Tuesday) we have a movie. K-2 at one time, 3-5 another. Since we were in the afternoon this year I had a breakfast party. I made pancakes for them - some think pancakes just come from the freezer and you put them in the microwave . Those kids are really amazed to see pancake batter! We ate pancakes, I gave them their presents (2 $1 books from Scholastic and a bookmark I made for each of them), dismantled the Christmas tree so they could take all their ornaments home, wrapped their gifts for their "adult" (I take their picture, crop just their face, and put it on each page of a calendar. They draw the body for each month - they do a great job, several made themselves into elves for December!), then it was lunch time, then movie time, then send them home! Wednesday was a 2 hour day - we spent most of it singing carols in the gym - if you live close to the buckle of the Bible Belt, you can still sing Silent Night!
fish2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Suspended

MsMomma

Suspended

Old 12-21-2012, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Bible Belt?

Haha, Kentucky here...however our city is pretty...progressive.

MsMomma is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

No party for us.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yesterday was supposed to be our party, but we had a snow day. I went to the store today and talked to the aunt of one of my students. He was so disappointed that we weren't having school. I was too. We had a great day planned.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 12-21-2012, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have room parents that plan and run the party. They have 4 stations with a game or a craft. We rotate stations after about 10 minutes. Then a small snack just a drink and a cookie. Finish with a story or bingo. Nice and low key.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-21-2012, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have to say that this year I am in fifth grade and always before I have been in first. I enjoyed this year so much more than the younger parties!

We were finishing up a colonial unit, so my kids did videos earlier in the week and today we did a premier of the video. We had lunch in the class room and for once we had a good amount of food and not an over abundance. We hand dipped candles, made soap and the kids made pomander balls, quills and wrote letters to their families with them. Low stress and I enjoyed listening to the conversations.

I would do it again in a heart beat. We didn't talk about Christmas, but we had a good time.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Class party
Old 12-21-2012, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Great day in my room. Decorated snowman cookies in the afternoon, they went to a special then while they ate their cookies and drank juice, we watched "The Snowman". Afterwards, they made a jingle bell necklace. I had instrumental Christmas music playing all day.

It was nice to hear quite a few say that they wished we had school cause they didn't want to stay home during break.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Daphne333

Old 12-22-2012, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Sadly, no party here. We had 2 snow days. I was really looking forward to seeing my students. I'm thinking we might still make their crafts and do donuts when we return from break, but no party this time.

Daphne333 is offline   Reply With Quote

crazyeights

We had our class party
Old 12-22-2012, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

on Tuesday. It was a little crazy and there was some room mother drama going on (which I stayed out of) but the kids had fun and that's what I care about. Yesterday, we had a school sing-along (a tradition) where we sing songs for all the holidays.
crazyeights is offline   Reply With Quote

Antique Tchr

Ours was Tuesday.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We didn't do a party. Instead we constructed a gingerbread village. I set up decorating stuff in stations around the room. They went from station to station adding whatever they wanted. We had plenty of icing, Trix, Froot Loops, the curly kind of pretzels, peppermints, gummy bears, tiny candy canes, cake sprinkles, and mini marshmallows.

A parent hot glued the graham cracker houses together ahead of time and glued each to a rectangle of heavy cardboard. We hot glued a waffle cone tree on their and their reindeer made from a wine cork with toothpick legs. I cut out cute reindeer heads on my Cricut, which I then attached to the front of the cork in a slit cut with an Xacto knife.

A few kids chose to make a snowy tree from a Tootsie Roll hot glued upright. They stacked and glued popped corn on top for the snowy boughs.

I would tell you to go to my blog for pics, but I forgot to bring my camera home from school.

I've done this for the last 6 years and they love it! It's so much nicer than a regular party.
Antique Tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Kermit

Old 12-22-2012, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We had the BEST day. I love my class!!

I let them design the schedule for Friday, which was a half day.

First off, they WANTED to do math and silent reading. Yes, I'm serious.

So, we had a PJ day and the kids could each bring one stuffed animal.

They came in and played a math game, then had a "math choice" time where they could choose math games to play.

They did that for a half hour, and then we had a breakfast feast. Everyone brought in a breakfast item, and we had breakfast together. They had a cozy silent reading time with their stuffed animals, and then, we played a great big, muddy game of Capture the Flag. My class had sent out invitations to the other classes and three classes joined us for a big huge game. It was great fun, even though it was raining.

After that, we came back to the classroom and we had a PJ dance party. The kids in my class actually DANCE. Sometimes kids will want a dance party and no one will dance. It was fun to see them getting into it. We pushed back the tables, and then they ended up ON the tables, which I allowed (very unusual.)

We had an assembly with songs and so forth, and went home.

A great day!!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

motherhen

Friday - no "party"
Old 12-22-2012, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I was very clear with my 5th graders that we were NOT having a party on Friday. So when I started prepping food about 45 minutes before lunch and told them I was having some people in at lunchtime, they believed me. Since I never let my kids eat in the classroom, it was fun to walk through the lunch line and tell them to line up at the cafeteria doors with their trays.

We ate cheese and crackers, veggies and ranch dip, watermelon, grapes, apple slices and caramel, and a layered dip (refried beans, sour cream, salsa, grated cheese, tomato, black olives and green onions) with tortilla chips. Since a few of the kids wanted to help with the food prep, they learned how to use a melon baller, how to lay out cheese and crackers, and generally how to make food look pretty.

Before I let them eat, we watched a BrainPop video related to the Winter Solstice. I told them we were gathering to better remember the Winter Solstice. There was lots of enjoying each other's company and I pointed out that we can gather and have a fabulous time without junk food. (I know, caramel dip isn't exactly packed with nutrition and tortilla chips are questionable.) The kids agreed that it wasn't the food that mattered - it was the people.

So, since there were no candy wrappers left empty and not a cookie in sight, it couldn't have been a "party." There was spontaneous singing and dancing and an amazing version of "haida" performed - but that was just development of language skills.
motherhen is offline   Reply With Quote

3drummers

Old 12-22-2012, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We had a Winter Party yesterday that was planned by the room moms. I have Awesome room moms this year. The party started at 9:30, had 5 stations (Make a crown, make a snow globe, paint a snow scene with puffy paint, listen to a story, and play snowman bowling outside - they had creamer bottles decorated as snowmen), then recess at 11:10. After recess, the moms had food set up. I had asked to be able to have 'brunch' so they had bagels with a choice of cream cheese or peanut butter and jelly, and cut up fresh fruit.
I gave them the gifts I had for them afterwards which were a $1 book from Scholastic, a pair of mittens, and a pin I made for them (I have a mini button machine and they LOVE these). I also had those cracker/popper things that you pull apart and have a mini toy inside. That was a crack up! Our high school band had gotten a huge donation of these so I got them for $2 for a box of 8 poppers.
They had fun watching me open the gifts they gave me and then it was time to go home. It was a minimum day.
3drummers is offline   Reply With Quote