Help

BusyBoard

What is Edmodo?

>

Daphne333

What is Edmodo?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My niece was telling me that she uses edmodo at school. She said it helps her to learn things.

What exactly is it? And do you use it? How do you use it?

It seems like I have so many programs already up and running in my room. I don't want to start something that will just confuse the kids more.

Thanks!

Daphne333 is offline   Reply With Quote

ChiMom

I think it's great!
Old 01-02-2013, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I started using edmodo this year after one of my students told me about it. It's a PRIVATE (which is one reason I like it) website that works a bit like facebook, but safe and educational-based.

You set up your profile and create a group. Edmodo will give you a code for your group, which you then give to your students.

Before you even give them the code, however, there are teaching materials to teach edmodo etiquette/rules and an agreement to sign (and parents sign as well) which I found extremely helpful. I would not give anyone the code who had not turned in the agreement. Some students still don't have it.

My rules included the fact that they may NOT have any discussions there which are not in some way related to our class or learning. For example, talking about an argument you had with your sister has nothing to do with our class and violates the rules. I told them they will get NO warnings - if they don't follow the agreement, I will ban them for the year - no exceptions.

The really cool thing about it is that you can set up as many groups within your profile as you want. For example, when we did book groups in December, I created an Edmodo group for each reading group. That group was private - students in other reading groups had no access to it - and they could have a virtual group discussion. I would toss out questions that they were expected to discuss, but they were not limited to those questions.

Another really cool thing about Edmodo is that it helps you to see your students differently than in class. One of my quietest students is the most active and outgoing online. I was absolutely amazed!! The kids can post questions about classwork/homework, and others can help them. For example, one student may post 'I'm stuck on our math homework, problem 4. What formula are we supposed to use for that one?' Inevitably, very soon another student will respond with the needed information. I love that because it eliminates the "I didn't finish my homework because I was stuck and didn't know what to do." Sometimes if no one answers, I will, but I much prefer to see them helping each other.

One other thing I do is post the day's assignments on edomodo. By the way, parents can join as well. I posted a poll, and both kids and parents said it would be helpful for me to do that, even though the kids have planners and are expected to write down the assignments every day. (Supposed to being the key phrase here!)

Edmodo does add one more thing to my day, but I have found it to be totally worth it.

If you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer them.
ChiMom is offline   Reply With Quote

3drummers

I've been using it - love it!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've been using Edmodo for a little over a year now with my second grade class. I use it a lot to get my kids writing and using capital letters, punctuation and complete sentences. So with that goal I do allow them to be social on Edmodo. We had them and the parents sign safe internet agreements and go over digital citizenship and safety.

It's great for setting the kids on a path to safe use of online tools.

My kids also love the apps (some are free) especially the Sokikom math apps.

I've only had to set one student to read only status for being silly and not writing in complete sentences. He is in my regroup class and probably didn't realize I was serious about using it appropriately. Once he assured me that he understands the rules I set him back to be able to write again.
3drummers is offline   Reply With Quote

granjanny

Edmodo
Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How is Edmodo the same/different from Google Docs? Can you do the same things on Google Docs as with Edmodo?
granjanny is offline   Reply With Quote

granjanny

Edmodo
Old 01-12-2013, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you ChiMom for your thorough information on Edmodo. I'm just getting into it and will try setting up my class soon. I like the idea that students can get homework questions answered by setting up study buddies on Edmodo.

Do you happen to know how Edmodo compares to Google Docs? Are they both the same kinds of tools? If so, what is your top choice?

Thanks again for the time you took to reply with useful information.

granjanny is offline   Reply With Quote