The VENT

Being Listened To?

>

TTll

TTll

Being Listened To?
Old 01-25-2014, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm signing out for this one. It's more of a question than a vent. Has anyone known of admin using the intercom system to listen into classrooms? I've been hearing clicking on mine.

crockpotqueen

Yes
Old 01-25-2014, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes. I have seen that done.
crockpotqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

JDprek

Old 01-25-2014, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes. I got so tired of being listened to that I actually placed a noisy center under the intercom. After a day or two my admin came in and gave me a pathetic reason as to why I needed to move the noisy center to another spot in the room. That pretty much proved they listen in. I also use to catch them peaking in my classroom door.
JDprek is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1975

yes
Old 01-25-2014, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have been in schools where it is done. Isn't the door/window stalking funny??? Just come in-I am not hiding anything!

Last edited by teach1975; 01-25-2014 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: typo
teach1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 01-25-2014, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, I have had an admin who did this.

I believe it is legal because it's your workplace and there is no presumption of privacy (unlike in a bathroom, for example).

teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

intercom
Old 01-25-2014, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, they did it for years in my school. It was pretty pathetic, because it was always denied, but the teachers knew that the intercom was still on. Then we got a brandnew system that had a red light when the intercom was on, so they could no longer deny it. After that, we were told that it was legal for them to listen in.
I always had my door to the hallway open at all times, so the powers-that-be would know I really had nothing to hide, and that yes, I was actually doing my job teaching my students. Many other teachers did the same. That changed after the Sandy Hook shootings, because doors had to be closed.
Some schools in my area are now talking about having nanny cams in the classrooms. You know, for all those horrible teachers who can't teach.
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote

txteacher12

Old 01-25-2014, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My principal used to do it during our lunches. We would eat together as a team and we would always hear the click about 5 minutes into lunch. I can't believe some schools are talking about installing nanny cams. The day they install a camera in my room will be the last day I am a teacher. I can only imagine the abuse of power principals would dream up with that one. No thank you.
txteacher12 is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeseTeacher

Old 01-25-2014, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There has been rumors at my school but no definite proof. I am not worried although it is a little creepy. Again, I have nothing to hide! The only reason I ever shut my door is if there is a noisy class outside or if my class is doing something noisy and I don't want to disrupt others. Otherwise my classroom door is open!

I honestly have nothing to hide either...except I'm a fairly new teacher and maybe my lessons aren't going smoothly.
ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

Old 01-25-2014, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

When I first started teaching the P did that. He also used to stand outside the classroom door near the wall. The teachers didn't usually see him. I taught my kids to be polite and every time someone came into the room they should say Good morning or good afternoon. They would say good morning every time they saw him by the door. ! no sneaking around me.

It set a very negative tone in the school. Now I have administrators who are very visible and just come in the classroom and hang out or walk around and talk to the kids. We never feel they are trying to catch us doing something wrong. It just seems like they want out of the office away from paper work and back with the kids because that is why they chose education in the first place. They believe we are hard working good teachers and we are.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I was once at a school where we were sure the P had bugs in different areas. She seemed to know the things that teachers said about her and even brought it up in a staff meeting. She was a real piece of work. I was glad to get out of that environment!!

Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

SenseiKen

Once Upon A Time...
Old 01-25-2014, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I put a switch my intercom so I could turn it off from my desk.

I was not worried about being monitored, but my P had a way of playing "motivational messages" that went on for several minutes in the morning. Starting each morning with "Hail to the Redskins" when they were in the Superbowl became difficult after the third playing. (This was several years ago.)

There WERE times we would cut off the intercom so we could talk in private; although we never had any indication that we were being listened to.
SenseiKen is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

My phone is set that way
Old 01-25-2014, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

And I have not bothered to take the time to fix it. Every time they call my room, they HAVE to listen to us. If they want my attention they have to yell, because I can't hear them. The kids always hear them first. hahaha

I don't think my P does this. I really wouldn't care anyway. If I was doing something to hide, then I need to stop.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote