Help

Fourth Grade

Moving to a 3rd/4th split

>

Riding4Him

Moving to a 3rd/4th split
Old 06-25-2014, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone out there teaching a 3rd/4th split? I am moving from 2nd up with my kids. This is a small, private school so I have also had most of the 4th graders too. I am hoping to teach the 4th grade Bible, Science, and History with the plan to switch to the 3rd the following year. (This is our first year to go to splits, so the 4th graders had 3rd grade Bible, History and Science) The other subjects will be split along the grade level. I've taught the 3rd and 4th grade in the past, just not together. I am looking for ideas in classroom management too that would fit a split class.

Riding4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

kjsmom

Me Too!
Old 06-25-2014, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have taught 2nd/3rd split for several years and am being moved to 3rd/4th next year. I did teach 3rd/4th combo two years ago as well. I will also be teaching 4th grade Bible, History, and Science. The other subjects will be at grade level. I will have the same students that I did last year...3 are moving and 2-4 new students coming in. For seating arrangements, I have had groups (kids mingled) and rows (kids split-2nd on one side, 3rd on the other). Both ways have worked well. One advantage to having 3/4 together is the ability/independence level.
kjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Riding4Him

split class
Old 06-25-2014, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was thinking of doing mixed groups too. kjsmom what curriculum are you using? We use ABEKA for most subjects and Bob Jones for the English/Spelling. I had the 2nd graders last year and with only 12 students they got used to having my attention. Now they will have to share me with 21 students in the class. I also had most of the 4th graders as 2nd graders two years ago. That class needed lots of special help. The 3rd grade teacher called them "quirky"

kjsmom

We use ABeka
Old 06-25-2014, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

for all subjects. I have one grade working on Daily 5, handwriting, etc. while teaching the other during language. In math, one grade works on review section of page while the other grade is having their lesson. The students quickly become accustomed to the routine. I also have a student who will come back to my class from 5th grade for math. Last I heard, I have 16 kiddos signed up with 2 more possible. I am also in a small private school (appx. 75 students in K-12).
kjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Michele10

love the 3/4 multi-age
Old 06-27-2014, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have taught the 3/4 multi-age class for 3 years and I absolutely love it! I try to do as much together as a whole class that I can. For example I use the 3rd grade religion book one year, then switch to the 4th grade religion book the next year. That way by the time they leave me they have had both. I have take the science books and made an A year schedule and a B year schedule. I usually start the year out in the 3rd grade book, do 4 chapters. Then after we get back from Christmas break I do 4 chapters out of the 4th grade book. Once again, by the time they leave me I have covered everything in both grade levels. In social studies I use the Studies Weekly Social Studies paper. The only subjects that I separate them for is math and reading. The first 2 years I had an aid that would take the 3rd graders while I worked with 4th grade and then we would swap. This year I am lucky that our school hired one of our teachers that had retired back part time and she is going to teach 3rd grade reading and I am going to teach the 4th graders.
One suggestions I have that saved a lot of time was copying worksheets for the different grade levels on specific colored paper so I knew which one went with which grade. For example purple was for 4th grade , green was for 3rd. If it was for both I just use white. Good luck! I hope you love it as much as I do!

Michele10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Riding4Him

Cool ideas
Old 06-27-2014, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I hadn't thought about splicing the Science and History! Great idea. The third grade history and science is only half a year while the 4th grade is a full year and difficult to get though with a just the 4th graders so this may be the answer. Also, I love the colored paper idea.