Help

Retired Teachers

For those who announced early

>

landsoftly

For those who announced early
Old 07-13-2014, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

to staff/admin in Sept., for example--what were drawbacks? Advantages?

landsoftly is offline   Reply With Quote

brooks56

advantages
Old 07-13-2014, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I knew for sure it was my last year so I told my principal early in the year. My reward was not to have to go to the common core workshops all during the year. I was certain I would retire as I had over 30 years and ever looked back!
brooks56 is offline   Reply With Quote

FasDancin

No Drawbacks
Old 07-13-2014, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I didn't see any drawbacks. I actually felt more comfortable because I was like, "What are they going to do, fire me?" I was put on less committees and really left alone a lot more. Evaluations were much less stressful also. The only drawback was, the last couple of months of school seem to take a lifetime.
FasDancin is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 07-13-2014, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I didn't decide to retire until February. After I announced it not much changed. I finished all my committee work and was expected to attend all meetings. My P (somewhat of a jerk) did release me from a data review meeting on the last day. I didn't notice any reasons to keep retirement a secret in my former building but buildings are different.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

joyfulcalm

No drawbacks
Old 07-13-2014, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Every situation is different. For me, there was an early retirement incentive for those who submitted final paperwork early in the school year. Although I did not make a point of announcing anything to my students and parents, I felt better letting the staff know right after I signed the paperwork (since things have a way of leaking out anyway). I definitely worked very hard my last year, BUT it was nice not feeling obligated to do those "optional but highly encouraged" meetings, especially during the latter part of the school year when the focus was on planning for the next school year. It was also nice to give away/throw away items throughout the school year.

joyfulcalm is offline   Reply With Quote

xcaped

No Drawbacks
Old 07-13-2014, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I posted early mostly to get off the evaluation list. It was a waste of time for all involved, my principal as well as myself. It was not a thought out decision, but mostly a knee jerk one based on avoidance.

There were no drawbacks. Since I was already the poster woman for teacher burnout, it made for a pleasant, relaxing, last year... for everyone.

I did have one really awful, litigious. helicopter, parent pull their child from my caseload. As you can imagine, I was really upset
xcaped is offline   Reply With Quote

DSLBUG

I didn't see any draw backs either.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

FasDancin, "What are they going to do, fire me?" was exactly my mantra all year, too.
DSLBUG is online now   Reply With Quote

anansi

Announced in February
Old 07-13-2014, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

....at least to my principal and the director of personnel. Eventually I told colleagues, and finally my students and their families. The students let out a collective, "Oooooooh!" which was cute.

Advantages were #1 I could give away stuff to new & first year teachers and they knew why and #2 my principal never did another observation the rest of the year (it wasn't my formal eval year). Also, #3, I could also adopt the mantra, "What are they going to do, fire me?" and #4 I was excused from a few end-of-year meetings.

A funny thing happened, though. Once word got out I was retiring, suddenly principals and teachers from a few of the other schools in the District wanted to come and watch me teach Reading/Language Arts and especially to watch Daily 5. I think I was the teacher who brought D5 to our District about 8-9 years ago and many teachers have adapted it now over the years, but I sort of mentored/supported most of them through it. Kind of touching that they wanted to see ME do it. (Oh, if they only knew how I warned & threatened my kids ahead of time. . . .)

The really nutty thing was the Assistant Supt asked if she could come record me THE FINAL WEEK OF SCHOOL! I politely told her I was sorry to disappoint her, but I wasn't doing Daily 5 with Sports Day, field trip, final assemblies, teachers vs. 6th grade soccer game, etc. Pretty obvious she had never been a teacher to think I was running guided reading and Daily 5 the last three days of school. Sheesh!
anansi is offline   Reply With Quote

sky22

Early
Old 07-15-2014, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I announced early and I was glad I did. It gave me all year to work on getting rid of things. It was a lot more relaxing and my class knew they were
"my last best class".

I loved that I didn't have to worry about meetings on new evaluations, new report cards to go with the common core, new math curriculum meetings, next year scheduling meetings, etc. It was all a lot more relaxing.
sky22 is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

I told everyone all year long! LOL
Old 07-15-2014, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I was up front mostly to help myself mentally deal with the reality. I have no children of my own and could have worked longer if I wanted, but I thought I was ready to retire after 35 years. I thought it was only fair to let others know early that my position would be coming up at the end of the year, especially since it was not a typical classroom position. I wanted to let the principal know that she would have to begin thinking about filling the position. I also wanted her to know that my evals could be flexible if she needed to shift them around since the new system is a major time suck for everyone involved.
I was able to skip some meetings occasionally, especially toward the end of the year. I sorted through some things as the year went along and celebrated (even if only mentally) the many "last time I will have to do that" each time they happened.
Enjoy!

canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

Uncomfortable
Old 07-15-2014, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I didn't decide til the winter break and kept my retirement to myself for awhile. What made me uncomfortable was fielding questions and comments from students and parents.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

Hi Landsoftly!
Old 07-15-2014, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I've had back to back house guests so I haven't been on Proteacher lately, but I have some input on this subject! I told my principal at the end of the year that I would be retiring after the next school year. I liked planning it out ahead of time, because retirement is a BIG decision.

+ People quit asking me "When are you going to retire?"
- People started asking me "What are you going to do after you retire?" (Both were annoying, repetitive questions... but it was MORE fun answering the what are you going to do... Usually I answered "I dunno". But the reality is that there is a WORLD of things to do. Just slow down and enjoy life! And there are so many ways of doing that! And so many things to do when you get out of the institution and enter the real world!)

+ I was able to savor and truly enjoy my last year... knowing it was my LAST YEAR of teaching. I shared with other proteacher friends who were in this group all of my lasts. The things that were dreaded like last Open House, last Halloween Party were checked off. I did creative projects with my students that were off the radar of the prescribed curriculum. I made memories for myself and my last group of students that we will all remember
- I was a little scared... especially about the $$$ and insurance.

+ All of my colleagues were happy for me and often said, "You ARE SO LUCKY! I wish I could retire! We will miss you so much!"
- My principal sent a reporter to do a feature story on me for the paper the week before school started that last year. I hated that! It was called "Veteran Teacher Prepares for Last Year". UGGH!

+ No worries about teacher evaluations! They knew I was gone and my principal only did one formal observation... Think she was checking her email when she was supposedly taking notes!

+ I felt more relaxed all year long.....When you know it's your last year you care, but you don't care on the level that you NEED to have that job. Being relaxed made me a better teacher. I didn't stress over test scores like I normally did. (AS everyone did!) But my test scores ended up showing amazing growth for all of my students. I still think it was a beautiful miracle!

+ I had closure! I was able to disperse my teaching possessions throughout the year. And I did not buy new teacher materials!! (Saving money already!)

+ I had TIME to prepare: fill out the papers for the state ,district , etc. get my head together!

+I could be more HONEST and express my true feelings at staff meetings and team meetings. In my district all of the teachers need their jobs. They do not express their opinions openly because they are afraid. SOMEONE has to be the voice of reason. When you are a teacher in your last year, you can be a voice for the teachers who cannot speak.

+So many more I can't think of right now. Everyone is different, but announcing early was my choice. I'm glad I did it that way. It worked for my particular circumstances.

Landsoftly, wishing you all of the best as you decide what is right for you!
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 07-18-2014, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

You might want to consider not announcing in September. You can always retire but its harder to unretire and it would be very uncomfortable if you needed to say oops! My union retirement advisor told me not to do tell too soon because you never know what will happen between September and the following June. Personal and financial calamities can happen unexpectedly. I waited until April to announce and then 4 more at my school announced after me. I dont see that the advatages of announcing early outweigh the disadvantages but thats only my opinion.
MathWA is online now   Reply With Quote

MrsRetired

I announced early
Old 07-22-2014, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Because I was getting married and moving towns. I had my 85 and was also getting $$ for announcing early. I had time to reflect on my lasts. It was a hard year with the behavior issues and no support from prin. Although I was not really reafy to stop teaching...there really isn't a market for someone like me w 32 yrs and a master's. I've been out three years and am coming to grips with not having that part of my life anymore.
MrsRetired is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Old 07-25-2014, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I waited until June 13 to tell them. That was my last official day of work. I managed to shock my principal and maybe some others, but I wanted to be sure that the decision was right. I didn't want to say I was leaving, have my job filled, and then for some reason want/need to work again. Also, when you tell people you are leaving, they don't seem to value you anymore. That was my experience when I told my principal and coworkers I was leaving a job years ago. I would wait as long as possible to tell them. I can't really see any advantages of announcing early.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote