Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Taking stuff to the beach

>

Miss Binney

Taking stuff to the beach
Old 07-15-2014, 03:35 PM

Okay, PT beach goers try not to laugh at my questions! I live in a land-locked state so I don't really go to the beach. I might be visiting a friend who lives near Myrtle Beach in a couple of weeks. Obviously, I would want to go there while I had the opportunity. I started mentally thinking about the things I would need and have some questions....

1.) What do you take with you to the beach? I would assume a towel and sunscreen, but what else?
2.) What do you do with your stuff when you want to go into the water? Can you just leave it on the beach? Is it safe?

I'm excited about this potential trip, but realized I have no clue about going to an actual beach!

Miss Binney is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 07-15-2014, 03:40 PM

1. Towel, sunscreen, book, sunglasses, snack, water bottle, camera, hair tie, sun umbrella/beach chairs if you have them!

2. I try not to bring valuables because there isn't a good place. I've never had a problem with anything being stolen, though.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-15-2014, 03:41 PM

I bring a chair, umbrella, sunscreen, towel, kindle, water, snack and big bag to carry stuff. I don't really go in the water b/c I got to a beach in Maine, so it is freezing cold even in August. I don't bring my valuables, but I'm also at a pretty low populated beach that my parents live next to, so we often leave our chairs if we are coming back later in the day (just be sure it is above the high tide line, lol!)
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

tammynj

Old 07-15-2014, 03:41 PM

When I go to the beach, I carry a tote (at least!) with a few towels (depending on who I am carrying for!), sunscreen, water, snacks, a book, my phone, keys, etc.

I leave stuff on the beach, sometimes under my towel. Or someone stays with the stuff.

Walking in the sand can be hard, so don't try to carry too much stuff.
tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote

2liltexans

Old 07-15-2014, 03:46 PM

We take a bottle of vinegar. (seriously) If anyone gets stung by a jellyfish, vinegar neutralizes the sting. Learned this the hard way several summers ago. We NEVER go anymore without our first aid kid and vinegar.

A cooler full of water (and adult beverages if you wish) is great too. We always look like we're setting up camp, but we usually have what we need. Chairs, food, towels, sunscreen, stunt kite (yes, my husband is a big kid!) umbrella, pirate flag (for some reason when it goes up, not many people set up around us! )

2liltexans is offline   Reply With Quote
-0-0-0-

-0-0-0-

Old 07-15-2014, 03:46 PM

To wear:
-Suit
-Cover-up dress or shorts/t-shirt
-Flipflops or open shoes so the sand can fall out
Leave other clothes in the car or they'll get all sandy

In your beach bag:
-Beach towel
-Sunscreen
-Sunglasses
-Sunhat or ball cap
-Book or magazine
-MP3 player with music or a book on tape and earbuds for napping in the sun
-If you're inclined, frisbee/football
-Snacks (chips, sandwich, fruit, drink - all finger food, maybe a cooler)
-If you have a smartphone, put it in a ziploc to protect it from sand/water

We just leave our stuff on the beach and walk into the water, and then swim facing our stuff. In 29 years of beachgoing, nothing has ever walked off. Even so, don't bring any valuables (leave jewelry at home) and hide your phone deep in your bag so it's not visible.

If you're inclined to burn, don't leave a part it your hair (or if you do put sunscreen on it) or you'll end up with a nasty part burn that hurts to brush and flakes like crazy!

beachygrl

beach stuff
Old 07-15-2014, 04:21 PM

We take: chairs, towels, books, water, snacks, sunscreen, sunglasses, hats, umbrellas. You need more water than you think, and more sunscreen as well. Put your phone in a ziplock bag.

We wear: swimsuit, coverup (mine is white cotton and has long sleeves because I burn so easily), flip flops (cheapest ones you can find, cute isnt' a requirement)

Don't take valuables, leave your stuff at your chair/towel (covered up by the towel is good) and splash in the water facing your stuff. I've been going to the beach for 25 years and the only thing that's ever been stolen is a pair of flip flops. Some people use a diaper bag as a beach bag and wrap their phone & key up in a diaper so it looks used; this is supposed to encourage people to keep their hands off your stuff.
beachygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 07-15-2014, 04:27 PM

Depending on where your friend lives there are two places worth checking out.

One is Rivertown Bistro in Conway the other is the Calabash Creamery in Calabash, NC.

Have fun!
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss Binney

Old 07-15-2014, 04:45 PM

Thanks! This is exactly what I needed to know.

- Great tip about parting my hair. I have had this happen before and it is miserable.

- I totally want a pirate flag now!
Miss Binney is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 07-15-2014, 05:15 PM

1.) What do you take with you to the beach? I would assume a towel and sunscreen, but what else?towels...one to lay on, one to dry off with; sunscreen; water/drinks; snacks; lunch; sunglasses; hat; umbrella if you want shade
2.) What do you do with your stuff when you want to go into the water? Can you just leave it on the beach? Is it safe? it's pretty safe on all the beaches I've been on. We just leave our stuff. I've seen people leave stuff overnight...I'm not that trusting.

edit: I just saw wrapping your valuables in a diaper...NO ONE is going to pick up a diaper!

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

You got great advice from others.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:20 PM

I'd add a lipgloss with high SPF. (One of our party one year sunburned her lips which was VERY painful because they swelled as well as burning.) Also sunscreen your ears and tops of feet as well as inside edges of underarm areas (my suit always rubs it off so frequent reapplication is a must). Tissues in a ziplock bag are nice to have at times too. Did anyone mention wet wipes? We always put our sunscreen on in our room/condo so we can wash our hands after and so our northern skin does not burn while we are walking down to the water & getting things set up for the day. Have a great time!
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

rosieteaches

Beach bag
Old 07-15-2014, 07:09 PM

I pack a tote with old full-sized sheet to set down on sand, beach chair and a cooler filled with snacks. Find a spot near a lifeguard chair (they are numbered) so when you go into the water you can find your spot. The sheet gives you more room to settle. Hold down the sheet with your sandal, cooler, etc. because it will blow in the wind. I choose a beach chair that is close to the ground. Many people move between their "spot" and the water's edge. They bring the chair right to the shore if they are watching their kids swimming. If you have children bring sand and pails.

Bring along sun screen and a book or magazines, and a hat, visor and sunglasses. In my state garbage must be placed in a bag and disposed of at home, and extra plastic bags come in handy. Also note there are facilities for showering and changing so bring a second set of clothes to change into and I include a travel sized shampoo and soap with that bag and another clean towel, put quarters here too in case they charge for hot water. There will also be concession stands for snacks. When you pack up to go home organize yourself so the sand doesn't blow into everything.

Feel free to get up, your belongings will be safe.
rosieteaches is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 07-15-2014, 08:10 PM

A couple of towels, beach chair, sunscreen, book if you want, flip flops (sand can get really hot) and some cold water. I am one who hates carrying a bunch of stuff down there to the ocean so I usually freeze a bottle or two ahead of time and take that with me. I leave everything in a beach bag by my chair when I go in the water and have never had a problem with anything being stolen.

Have fun!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-15-2014, 09:46 PM

On minimalist beach days I take a chair, water, kindle, and sunscreen. On days where I expect to stay a while I also take snacks in a small cooler, umbrella, hat, baby powder (gets the sand off so easily). The kids also bring towels, boogie boards, wetsuits, balls, shovels. We go to the beach a couple times a week during the summer and I've never had anything taken.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Penguin82

Beach
Old 07-15-2014, 10:00 PM

I take a cooler of beverages, fruit, veggies, chips and dip. I also take a book/magazine, towel, beach chair, sunscreen.

I have heard of keeping your "valuables" in a diaper rolled up (so it looks like a dirty diaper). I'm not brave enough to try it. I just keep my license and keys in a pocket in the cooler.
Penguin82 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 07-16-2014, 03:52 AM

I take pretty much what others have mentioned.

Just be careful about adult beverages if you are thinking about bringing them. It is illegal to bring alcohol onto public beaches here, I am not sure about Myrtle Beach.
choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote

ATeacherGal

Old 07-16-2014, 10:37 AM

I haven't heard of the diaper trick for valuables either.

I take an oversized safety pin and pin my key to a corner on the back side of my beach towel. I've never had anything stolen.
ATeacherGal is offline   Reply With Quote