Freezing blueberries....best way? Recipes? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Freezing blueberries....best way? Recipes?

>

Ruby tunes

Freezing blueberries....best way? Recipes?
Old 07-19-2014, 08:20 AM

I bought a very large container of blueberries at a great price and would like to freeze them to use later when prices are sky high. I've never done that and I'd like to know if there is a way to do it so they don't all clump together. Or should I put them in little baggies for individual servings if that is an issue. I've never even bought them frozen. I'd like to do it right so they are easy to use when the season has ended. And I will still have delicious blueberries to add to breakfast. Any ideas? Recipes?

Ruby tunes is online now   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 07-19-2014, 08:22 AM

They freeze really well. Just pit them in a zip lock freezer bag and Voila! If you are afraid of clumping then you can freeze them on a cookie tray/pan and then put them in the freezer bag. The texture of frozen fruit can change slightly but they will be great for smoothies or anything that you might cook or bake.
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

2liltexans

Old 07-19-2014, 08:29 AM

we lived on a blueberry farm after we first got married. All you do is freeze them. DO NOT wash them before you freeze them or they will clump together. I would put mine on a cookie sheet and freeze them and then put them in a ziplock bag.
2liltexans is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 07-19-2014, 09:05 AM

I second not washing them. I just froze a whole bunch of ziplocks full of blueberries with no clumping. I do sandwich bag size ziplocks, just because that is all I had handy.

It is very economical as a small bag of frozen blueberries is $6 where I live and I just bought a huge flat for $10. Although my daughter ate half of the flat before I could freeze them so I will have to go again.

I use mine for breakfast smoothies. I don't bake but my dad will use frozen blueberries in muffins.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

Snicklesnack

Blueberries
Old 07-19-2014, 10:57 AM

I always wash my blueberries before freezing. It takes a little longer, but I lay them out on clean dish towels to dry before flash freezing. I learned the hard way that this was a necessary step. The first year I froze blueberries, I didn't wash them, and they were sandy. Nobody likes sand in their blueberry muffins!

Snicklesnack is offline   Reply With Quote

ATeacherGal

Blueberries
Old 07-19-2014, 02:32 PM

I never wash them before freezing. I also do not freeze them on cookie sheets. Make sure they are dry first. (Lay them in a single layer on clean towels and let them air dry if they're wet or if you choose to rinse them before freezing.) I throw out over- and underripe berries as I'm looking over them for bugs, stems, and leaves.

Place the dry berries in freezer bags and freeze. Moisture is what makes them clump together, so you're fine if they are dry before you freeze them.

You can usually substitute frozen berries in recipes that call for fresh blueberries, such as pies, scones, pancakes, muffins, and other desserts.
ATeacherGal is offline   Reply With Quote

bookhound

Blueberry Washing Question
Old 07-19-2014, 07:41 PM

I tend to take the lo o o ng route much like Snicklesnack cleans the berries....First I spray them with a homemade natural cleaner & rinse well. Then I lay them out over cookie sheets covered w/kitchen towels layered with paper towels. When they're dry, I put them in zip locks and freeze. They do not stick together as long as they are dry. Good luck with your blueberries, Ruby tunes !!

QUESTION:

When the above pt ers say that they do not wash their berries before freezing them, does this mean that they wash them after they take them out of the freezer????
Just asking, since blueberries not only have sand, but are sprayed with pesticide. TIA
bookhound is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Thanks, everyone!
Old 07-19-2014, 08:29 PM

Your suggestions were all helpful. I combined them all by washing, then carefully drying the blueberries before putting them in quart size ziplock bags. I used lots of paper towels. The fun part will be eating them when prices are sky high in the stores.
Ruby tunes is online now   Reply With Quote

ATeacherGal

bookhound
Old 07-21-2014, 01:47 PM

To answer your question about rinsing berries, my berries are from my own bushes; there is no sand and no pesticide.

I would rinse them if I were buying berries that I wasn't sure about.
ATeacherGal is offline   Reply With Quote