Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Argument Essay

>

kmob

Argument Essay
Old 01-08-2015, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am working on researching, nonfiction reading, citations, and strong argument essays. My students aren't great at finding their own articles yet, but I have been working at coming up with a few topics they would feel passionate about and then finding articles I can give each group. Then they can use these to support their arguments. I had them help me come up with topics and am working on finding articles. Didn't know if anyone had any ideas for other topics or good articles to share. If you have time could you look through the attached document and give me any ideas or feedback. I really appreciate it!!!

Attached Files
File Type: docx Articles to use as research for argument essays.docx (192.6 KB, 59 views)
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

vespergirl

Do you have access to
Old 01-08-2015, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

An Ebscohost database? Masterfile, Middle search, etc? Your local public or state library probably provides access for free in its electronic resources.

If you can get access to an Ebsco database, you can then search for articles from Scholastic Scope or Junior Scholastic, and gain access to issues for free. Scope in particular prints one article every issue that presents two viewpoints on an issue and asks students to pick a side and write an argument for one side, using evidence from the article. These would be great launch points. Students could supplement with additional evidence from other sources.

Scholastic does not put access to the issues or their contents on their website unless you are a subscriber. Using the library's Ebsco databases is a great back-door option. I usually just search for "Scholastic Scope" within Ebsco, find an article that looks good, and then follow the breadcrumbs from there to locate whole issues. Your school librarian would love, love, love to help you search successfully if you need it.

Another option, while you're checking out the databases that your library provides for free, is to see if they have Gale Opposing Viewpoints in Context. This database takes important issues and provides several articles that explore it. That could be very helpful.

Public or state libraries will probably have these databases...school libraries usually can't afford them.

Another Librarian
vespergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

Thank you
Old 01-10-2015, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can access those through my town's library, didn't even think of that. Thank you!
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Good topics
Old 01-10-2015, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think you've picked some nice topics from which your students may choose. I believe there is enough choice for students to find one they might enjoy. Good luck!
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

Perl777

Free Online resource for Essay
Old 01-23-2015, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi, I often use http://www.procon.org/ as a resource. I have also used Newpapers in Education, http://nieonline.com/

Right now I am actually using pro con for the topic "Should Tablets Replace Textbooks in K-12 Schools?"

Perl777 is offline   Reply With Quote

jorgefuriouso

Winning is Everything
Old 01-26-2015, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One topic I've had great success with is "Winning is Everything." We would write thoughts on that expression in a freewrite, and then I would show students a number of videos and commercials which seemed to argue both ways. This post contains two videos which prompted lots of discussion both ways. Rick Reilly, a writer for Sports Illustrated, has a number of fantastic old pieces online that not only discuss the topic of winning, but also illustrate how entertaining argumentative pieces can be.

Students later went out on their own to search out articles, quotes, videos, editorials, etc. and crowd-sourced these on a Google doc. All students were thus able to have a ready-made bank of raw materials. Some students extended the "winning" idea to nature (survival of the fittest) and academics (competition for scholarships). Others interviewed family members and coaches. One student even used a blurb that he found on an old Girl Scout cookie box.

Ultimately, they could choose either side of the argument, and had to support their point of view with three "big ideas" which needed support from other sources. EasyBib was a huge help in assisting students with creating bibliographies from their diverse collection of resources.

It worked, although it was sometimes hard to get a couple students to choose one and just one side of the argument.

Good luck!
jorgefuriouso is offline   Reply With Quote