Retired Teachers

Question of the week

>

1959mm

Question of the week
Old 04-17-2015, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It's field trip season!!

What was your favorite field trip as a child? As a teacher???

(Next week we will talk about those horror trips!)

1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

jmb

Old 04-17-2015, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Really had to think about this, but I don't think I had field trips. I went to school in a suburb of Pittsburgh and I remember going to the children's symphony a few times in 5 & 6 grade (pgh symphony performing for area kids, I guess to expose us to types of music.) We went to Kenneywood Park, local amusement park as a school every year, then an end of year picnic. Life was simple.
As a teacher my favorites were going to a circus and riding a riverboat--- back when trips were fun.
jmb is offline   Reply With Quote

2grade

childhood field trip favorite
Old 04-17-2015, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was in elementary school in the late 50's. The public schools in my CT town were nationally known so we had field trips. They were great! My favorite was visiting Old Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts. It is a colonial living museum similar to Williamsburg but New England style. I remember everyone putting their hands or feet into the stocks, the blacksmith demonstration, and buying penny candy at the store to eat on the way home.
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

twinsister

Old 04-17-2015, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I went to a very rural small school. We never went on field trips.

As a teacher, my favorite trips were when I took my students to a nature reserve. One year we learned all about the spring plants as we walked the trails. Another year, we walked through the maple syrup stations on those same trails. The students loved being outside. The guides were always college students majoring in Environmental Studies or Parks and Recreations so they would provide active games and entertaining learning opportunities.
twinsister is offline   Reply With Quote

cjkq

Old 04-17-2015, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I went to Sturbridge Village on a school field trip when I was in sixth grade! It was fun.
My favorite childhood field trip was to the fire station when we lived on Ramey Air Force Base in Puerto Rico. I think I was in kindergarten. We got to ride on the top of the firetruck as it went flying down the flight line, wind in our hair and sirens screaming! Can you imagine! The kindergarten teacher in me shudders at the thought! My, but it was grand!
As a teacher, I recall our trips to the farm. The beautiful fall weather, hayrides, and the kids delight at feeding the animals made these field trips ones that we all enjoyed.

cjkq is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

favorite field trips
Old 04-17-2015, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

As a child I loved going to the Museum of Science & Industry. We would take the train & go at Christmas when they did a special Christmas around the world. They would have dances and games from different countries & the featured country's cuisine would be served on the cafeteria. I also loved going to the Jay's potato chip factory. At the end of the tour we would get a bag of chips warm off the conveyor belt.

As a teacher, I liked taking the kids on a ship on the ocean.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

sky22

field trips
Old 04-17-2015, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

As a child I went to a strict parochial school. The only field trips we ever took was to walk five blocks to Mass on every First Friday. In spite of that, I loved going to school there. Guess I didn't need field trips to love school.

As a teacher there were many field trips I liked. In Alaska we used to take the students to the forest to learn to build survival shelters. In the spring we took the fifth graders to tour a cruise ship. When I taught third grade we took the kids to tour a 1900's restored mansion after reading books from that era.
sky22 is offline   Reply With Quote

LindaR

Old 04-17-2015, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My favorite field trip as a child living in San Francisco ('60s) was the most life-changing for me. I was one of a handful of 3rd grade students who attended an Opera performance of Falstaff. Even though I didn't have a clue what the story was about, I was smitten by the grandeur of the theatre with its plush seats and the special opera glasses I used. That experience also led me to an interest in musicals. My high school and college peers couldn't understand my love interest in opera and classical music. Best music for studying
LindaR is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

fieldtrips
Old 04-17-2015, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I grew up in Europe, and field trips in my elementary school were pretty rare. I think we went to a working farm once. Once in middle school and high school, though, we had field trips every two months. They were usually two-or-three-day trips because of the distance to the destinations. I got to see Berlin, London, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Brussels, Paris, and everything in between.

Quote:
As a child I went to a strict parochial school. The only field trips we ever took was to walk five blocks to Mass on every First Friday.
sky22, I can beat you on that! Our "field trips" in elementary school were every Wednesday afternoon (our free afternoon) during which we walked 3 blocks to confession.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 04-17-2015, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I never had any field trips as a child.

My favorite as a teacher was when we took our 4th graders to a ballet. I LOVED it!

Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Field Trips
Old 04-17-2015, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

As a student, the only field trip we ever took was to a turkey farm. I went to a small town/rural type of school. I loved that field trip. First time I was ever on a school bus - so that was really fun.

As a teacher, I can't say I enjoyed those field trips. Taking first graders to the zoo each year was expected, and I really did not like it at all.

In the beginning, we had to be back after only a couple of hours because the buses were needed for the high school route.

Then after we got permission to stay later, we took the trip in the late spring and I felt like I was in the rain forest. By then I had some medical diagnosis that made me sensitive to heat and fatigue.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 04-17-2015, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My HS band went to the Macy's Parade in NYC when I was a senior! Greatest trip ever!

As a teacher I have quite a few I LOVED:

Taking our PK and K kids to visit Santa and have lunch each Christmastime at the mall!

Going to the Pioneer Art Settlement in a small town on the west side of our county where senior volunteers spent time teaching us about each segment of pioneer life on this huge settlement

Our trip to the post office to have a tour, mail our valentines to families and have an ice-cream treat

The trip each year to the public library for a puppet show, stories, a tour and then lunch at Chick fil-A

Each year taking the kids to a local, professionally done play and then of course, lunch

Going to the Jack Hartmann concerts - I think 3 or 4 in all over the years

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 04-18-2015, 03:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I clearly recall as a very young child (maybe first grade?) going on a field trip to the Henry Ford Museum. We got off the bus, and I was so disappointed! Where was the field?

The best one when I was a kid was probably Greenfield Village. I also loved to go to the planetarium at Cranbrook.

I teach high school chemistry, so I tend to walk kids down to the sewage treatment plant to see separation of a mixture, or to the tire store to think about polymers and gas laws. Probably not that fabulously memorable for kids. A few years we went to the Dartmouth chem labs with a sample of aspirin that the kids made in order to see the GC-Mass Spec, IR, and NMR spectroscopy equipment and have our sample analyzed. (That was AP Chem).

Best field trip was probably with my Girl Scout ecology troop rather than a school group. We went to Puerto Rico! Half the group stayed with my mother-in-law, and half with my co-leader's mother. We visited El Yunque, kayaked in a bioluminescent lagoon at Fajardo, camped in the rain forest at Las Casas de la Selva, did the requisite sight seeing in Old San Juan (favorite shop for the girls: Claire's!), learned to salsa dance...it was awesome!

Lisa
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

1959mm

Old 04-18-2015, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Nancy reminded me of my high school senior trip to NYC! We rode the train all night and got there about 10 am. My luggage was lost and I had to borrow clothes the whole time. Somehow it showed up on the last night. This trip was about taking the country kids to the city.... we rode the subway, went to a Broadway Show, ate in fancy restaurants, walked thru Chinatown, and rode the ferry at midnight to Staten Island. A trip I will never forget!

My favorite as a teacher was taking them to a science museum with hands-on activities and magic shows. It made them realize that science was real life!!
1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

landsoftly

As a student
Old 04-18-2015, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

going with a group to see the Franco Zefferelli version of "Romeo and Juliet", just out that year.

My favorite English teacher of all time took us.
landsoftly is offline   Reply With Quote

xcaped

Field Trips
Old 04-18-2015, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

As a child living in Rhode Island we went to Boston, Mystic Conn, Sturbridge Village and New York City in 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th grades respectively. My class was so bad on the New York trip that no teacher would take us anywhere in the 8th grade. I remember a sugar fight on the bus. I guess it was epic.

My most memorable field trip as a teacher was chaperoning a group of gifted 8th grade students on a New York trip. The teachers were exhaustively chilling in one of our rooms when the front desk called to inform us that three of our guys were mooning people out of the room windows. What goes around comes around, I guess.

For the rest of the year we referred to those boys as "the Astronauts"
xcaped is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

field trips
Old 04-18-2015, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I just don't remember taking any field trips when I was in school. Does going to Europe in tenth grade with the German Club count?

I don't think I liked any field trips I took as a teacher. I did like the field trips to the restaurants/bars that the teachers took on Fridays after school. I remember one in particular that I took to a local dive at the end of a trying year in which I toasted each kid who was a thorn in my side that year. I had to be helped out of the place and poured into someone else's car for the drive home. I believe that is the last time I ever got stinko.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 04-18-2015, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quote:
For the rest of the year we referred to those boys as "the Astronauts"

Quote:
I did like the field trips to the restaurants/bars that the teachers took on Fridays after school.
Yep, we always called it Friday afternoon choir practice.

My favorite field trip as a child was to a local bread bakery. We got to see all the cool machinery as the loaves were mixed, then put on conveyor belts to the ovens. The best part? Getting a big slice of hot, freshly baked bread, slathered with butter.

Hmm....as a teacher? I really can't say I had any favorite field trips. It was stressful just to keep counting heads and making sure no one went off the rails.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

xcaped

Friday Field Trips
Old 04-18-2015, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

At my school we called the Friday field trips to local establishments "Book Club". That way we could ask each other in the hall in front of the students "Are you reading after school?"
xcaped is offline   Reply With Quote

Faith508

Lovely memories
Old 04-18-2015, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Our schools never went on field trips when we were children.

My favorite yearly field trip was taking my students to a local beach. We investigated tide pools and the shoreline during a very low tide.

They loved it! There were many squeals of delight as they carefully looked under rocks and seaweed for tiny crabs, blennies and limpets. We used a field guide to identify our finds.

Good memories but it was stressful making sure no one went "swimming."
Faith508 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaryMac

Favorites
Old 04-19-2015, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

As a child the only field trip I remember was to the principal's home for a barbecue and games in his backyard. I was in 2nd grade and his wife was our teacher.

As a teacher I guess it would have to be Greenfield Village.
MaryMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Field Trips
Old 04-19-2015, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I think I only went on one trip and it was to Sturbridge Village (I think that's 4 of us that went there). It was a such a great trip! When I was student teaching we took the class to Sturbridge Village, also. It was just as much fun and the students who were from the city enjoyed it. I also went back with my own kids went we were visiting.

I used to take my own first graders to the Capital Children's Museum in Washington, DC. They had some great hands-on activities. It has sadly closed but reopened in another location. We would do a drive by the monuments on the way back to school.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

doneami

Field Trips
Old 04-20-2015, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

As a first year teacher I had 33 kinder's and that was before they put a limit on teacher child ratio. Long story short we visited The Fort Worth Stock Yards. It stunk to high heavens. I had a mother at the end of the line "monitoring" students and I was in the front of the line. When I turned around NINE of my students were missing. Imagine other schools were visiting along with 100's of rodeo cowboys and other visitors. The missing children all returned but I was never same. You can understand why I rarely enjoyed field trips.
doneami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Field trips
Old 04-28-2015, 01:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

As a child I can only remember a few. They were all historical type places that I didn't like.

As a teacher, most were too stressful supervising to enjoy.
But one time we took a city bus downtown to see Macy's decorated for Christmas. They always have displays you walk through inside.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote