Help

Special Education

Why did you choose special education?

>

SpecialAnne

Why did you choose special education?
Old 09-26-2015, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

When seeking your degree, how did you choose Special Education? Why did you choose it?

I was quite young..like in 4th grade... and knew I wanted to be a special ed teacher. But when I started my degree my intent was to be elementary ed and early childhood. When at registration someone from the sped department ask if i would consider a LD minor?? I said sure and changed from the early childhood minor to LD minor! It was so vague back then!

I have always taught in Sped environment. I love the kids...and hate the ___________ you can fill in the blank!

Lets hear from you!

SpecialAnne is offline   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

Old 09-26-2015, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I went to college to get a 1-6 degree. I couldn't get a job, so I ended up subbing. I signed up one day to do an EBD room at the middle school, and they liked me so I got a ton of requests to sub in spec ed. I even did multiple long term jobs (5 or 6) over the two years I subbed there a lot. I enjoyed it, so I figured I might as well get a degree in it so I could get a full-time job.

I liked my job at first, but right now I can't stand my P. He is all talk and no balls, and I am sick of being overworked and my students suffering because their needs aren't being met. I plan to look for a new job, either in another district (reg ed or spec ed) or out of teaching completely so I can get away from my P.
WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-27-2015, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't know, honestly. I specialized in special education and early childhood from the beginning. My dream was to teach early childhood sped. My best friend majored in el ed and specialized in reading. She is the one who ended up teaching ps sped while getting her masters in it way down the road. I only student taught in ps sped.

My daughter is a peer tutor for the sped program at her middle school (it's an elective, one period a day she spends working with the kids in the program). She loves it. She may go the route of sped one day
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-27-2015, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Honestly, I chose it because it was the way to get a job. In the area I'm originally from, there are typically upwards of 5,000 people applying for a single elementary opening. Trying to get a job is like trying to win the lottery! I thought sped would help me get my foot in the door. I just wanted to be a teacher so badly that I did everything I could think of to make it happen. I ended up having to move across the country to even find a job in sped. Sped is much different here than my home state (we still have resource rooms here, home state is full inclusion) and I found that I liked it a whole lot more than I thought I would. I did teach gen ed for a year, but was in a horrible school and went back to sped to get into a better school. Sometimes I do wish I could go back to gen ed, but most days I do like my job. I know some sped teachers find it highly offensive when people go into sped just to get a job, but I'm a good teacher and I definitely don't think I do any worse than someone who was really passionate about going into sped from day one.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Old 09-27-2015, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was hesitant to post because I did get into sped to get a job, but I am glad pp were honest too.

I initially resisted going into special ed because I was afraid I would burn out. But three years in and I would much rather teach my self-contained class, behavior issues and all, than regular ed, especially in my current district.

And I think I have really good perspective when collaborating with general education teachers.

I'm glad I am certified to teach regular ed too as it give me more options moving forward. But for now I really feel like I have found my niche and want continue to grow in this role.

readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 09-28-2015, 03:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I didn't choose special ed; it chose me. I was adamant that I would only teach regular and and never teach anything the kindergarten. Everyone in my program was required to take an intro to special ed class no matter what your major was. I took the class in the spring of my freshman year. I had to do 20 hours of observation in a special education classroom. The very first afternoon that I went to observe, the most precious little boy named Aaron read to me. He was in fourth grade and he could barely read at first grade level. But he was quick to show me the pictures and tell me about the story and he was so proud of how hard he was working! He won me over. I changed my major that semester to special ed with a minor in kindergarten and elementary regular ed and never looked back. That was almost 30 years ago, and I have never regretted it.

Thanks for posting that question! I needed to remember that today.
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote