Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

middle school science

>

dramacentral

middle school science
Old 01-19-2016, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey all, I'm an experienced science teacher but new to teaching this age group. I currently teach grades 2-6 and I've just found out that I'm going to be asked to teach 7th grade next year as well. My school is a new private special needs program, so the kids need a lot of help with vocabulary, writing, and reading. The more hands on and inquiry based, the better.

I'm hoping for some recommendations for books and other sources that you've found useful for teaching science to middle schoolers. I'm looking on Amazon and finding that many of the books have middling reviews or are more about teaching generally than science specifically.

Thanks in advance!

dramacentral is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Topics
Old 01-20-2016, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you have a way to find out what topics you'll be teaching? That might be more helpful in recommending books. I found that there are some books, but none covered all of what I needed. I ended up purchasing tons of books to glean a few things from each. I'll take a look to see if there are a couple that I used a lot.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

dramacentral

Old 01-20-2016, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks! I actually haven't been given anything in terms of requirements for choosing topics. I'm pretty much designing the curriculum on my own.
dramacentral is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

Earth Science?
Old 01-30-2016, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Great Earth Science Book is http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Science-.../dp/1933531355

Also if you google the author she is a teacher in Minnesota and there is an entire page of handouts, etc.. that she uses in her class. I teach English but tutored a student and found her things to be very helpful. Shared them with a Science teacher I know who is now using them.

Last edited by kmob; 01-30-2016 at 11:04 AM..
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Way to much money
Old 06-19-2016, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The book is over $100! I have been teaching middle school science for 24 years. There is no way that I would pay a $100 for one book on one subject covered.

Look at your state standards. Connect with other teachers in your district. Go to Half Price Books and pick up an earth science textbook to get yourself up-to-date. Also look at the materials on Tpt -- they have lots of materials for free.

Join the NSTA (national science teachers assoc.) and you will be able to get their science scope magazine which has great lessons, freebees, etc.

aggie'swife is online now   Reply With Quote