Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Still searching for diagnosis...

>

Seaturtle08

Still searching for diagnosis...
Old 10-23-2016, 06:58 AM

I'm tired of making these posts and I bet you're tired of reading them... After coming home on Wednesday, the pain got really bad again on Thurday night- curled in a ball sobbing even after taking Vicodin and Motrin bad. I went back to er of the hospital that discharged me. After waiting for 5 1/2 hours (!!!!! I usually go to the stand alone er closer to my house, man this was different) I was finally brought back to a room and given pain meds. Testing still all negative, but they readmitted me. Been here 2 days and still no answers.

GI checked me over again (btw, ulcers were from sigmoidoscopy biopsies taken 4 days prior, so GI work up was totally normal) as did pain management. It doesn't seem to be GI related and pain management doesn't think its a pinched nerve or a frozen muscle.
Gyn examined me and did swabs and another ultrasound. Found nothing, so they're saying it's not a gyn issue, it's an abdominal issue. They even had psych come talk to me, make sure it's not an anxiety issue or a med side effect (psych doesn't think it's either).

So, I'm still in pain and no one can figure out why. I was doing pretty good on a rotation of 3 meds, but they took one of those off yesterday, and I wound up having a rough night with a lot of pain. Hoping the dr will add something in so I don't have these big ups and downs in pain levels. Been doing lots of research into possible causes...

Dr came in as I was typing: she's getting a different GI doc to see me in the hopes that he has some ideas. She also ordered some tests to check for more rare disorders of the kidneys. I feel like she listens, so I told her my fears about everything coming back negative and starting to get worried that the Drs will stop listening and just say it's all in my head. She assured me that she's looking for an answer and will keep doing so, she also told me that psychs report states that my anxiety is currently well controlled. That gave me some reassurance.

Sorry for my novella of a post! There is so much information and yet no information...thanks for listening!

Seaturtle08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-23-2016, 07:00 AM

Oh that is super frustrating and scary. I hope they figure it out soon!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

((((((((hugs)))))))))
Old 10-23-2016, 07:39 AM

I'm sitting on the couch with the heating pad. You know my sagas.
Thinking about going to urgent care, but the place will be a mob scene as people try to get seen and out before the Patriots play.
Sent DH to church so I can moan in private. Last night I made Rice Krispie Squares and Cole Slaw for him to take to the church Pot Luck.

So do you have a special room/suite or do they give you frequent flyer miles?

Sorry, my humor isn't always appreciated.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-23-2016, 07:41 AM

That has got to be frustrating! I sure hope they come up with something soon.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 10-23-2016, 08:08 AM

Oh Seaturtle, I am so sorry. I hope tomorrow is a better day and that the doctors can find what is wrong and fix it! Hang in there and keep us posted.

rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

Dd just had the same issues
Old 10-23-2016, 08:22 AM

I will probably our myself with this post, but I hope it can help.

Dd was in severe abdominal pain for several days that they attributed to a small ovarian cyst. They finally admitted her when a CT with contrast showed something "wasn't right" in her small intestine. The CT without contrast didn't show anything besides the cyst.

They also did a gall bladder emptying test. She did not have any stones, but the pain was excruciating during the test indicating the gallbladder needed to come out. During the Gallbladder removal they did exploratory surgery and found out that scar tissue had also wrapped around her intestines causing a blockage, which was also the cause of the digestive issues.

I don't know if all of this has been ruled out for you, but thought it may help. I hope they figure it out for you soon.
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Seaturtle08

Mhugs
Old 10-23-2016, 08:28 AM

It's really funny that you asked about being in a special room, cause I kind of am! I'm in a room that was just redone- I am its first guest! I guess they're installing an updated call system and thus is the first room they did. They also repainted and redid the bathroom along with some other changes. Every time a new nurse or aide comes in, they're fascinated by the new system they also keep getting confused by changes like the glove boxes being moved .

(Can you tell that my pain meds kicked in a bit?)

Already saw GI nurse practitioner (met her yesterday, like her) and they're going to do a couple more things (look at small intestine, some lab work) looking for things other than the usual disorders...so I'm NPO again. But at least they're looking.

Seaturtle08

Momteachsis
Old 10-23-2016, 08:34 AM

I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago, no stones but tons of pain after eating and during the HIDA scan. It was functioning at 5%.

They'll be doing a CT with oral and IV contrast later today (maybe first thing tomorrow, depending on scheduling). We know that I don't have a blockage (only GI symptom I have is nausea and pain doesn't got worse when I eat), but I'm wondering if maybe I have scarring from the gallbladder surgery that's causing this pain. I guess we'll see what the scan today shows...

I'm glad your daughters gallbladder was identified as a problem and they found and fixed both issues!

letsgomets

Your last post
Old 10-23-2016, 10:46 AM

reminds me of a friend's wife. She has some kind of chronic pelvic adhesions disease. She ends up hospitalized for pain and it sometimes takes days for the doctors to be able to get her pain under control.

I can't remember the exact name of the disease, but she has scar tissue all over inside her. She wasn't able to have children because of it.

Have they checked for something like that?
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 10-23-2016, 05:53 PM

Ask them about lab work for things like allergies and parasites! Allergies can develop suddenly. Have you had surgery recently? Excess scar tissue can cause problems like partial blockage. The psych already talked with you, but if you have been under a lot of stress, and you have because of your illnesses this past year, maybe IBS? Whatever it is, I hope you feel better SOON!

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote