How do I teach how to write a sentence... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

How do I teach how to write a sentence...

>

teachingtall

How do I teach how to write a sentence...
Old 11-27-2016, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am at a complete loss as to how to help my students grow in their writing this year. I work in a K-4 Self-contained EBD class. I have a first grader, 2-3rd graders, and 3-4th graders.

Of my 5 3rd/4th graders only one of them is able to write a complete sentence independently and another is able to write a sentence, but needs frequent reminding of the required parts of a sentence. My other 3 are performing at about a first grade level when it comes to writing sentences.

Now this is not to say that my kiddos cannot come up with some great sentences. Using speech to text software they are able to create complete sentences and copy those into their work. Sadly, this is not allow on state assessments so I cannot use this with my students often. (I checked with the state, it invalidated the construct of the test. I call BS.)

With all that being said, does anyone know of a good resource or unit plan on creating sentences? I found some things on TpT, but they are mostly worksheets, I need some details on how to help them write with little scaffolding...

teachingtall is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 11-28-2016, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When stuck like this, I tend to favor "be the lesson" type activities, so I would give each child in the class a card with a different word on it. Make sure you have verbs, nouns, and adjectives. Then build sentences at the front of the room by calling kids up and asking what parts you still need. Copy the sentence on the board or chart paper, and emphasize adding the capital and punctuation.

Move on from the big cards to smaller ones, with lots more words available. (If your whiteboard is magnetic, you can stick magnets on the back so everyone can see well. But you can do it on a table if necessary.) Still have the kids work together to come up and add words, guiding them to make the sentence richer. Copy it over and model the punctuation again as well.

Then have them do some on their own. If you come up with some consistent language you are comfortable with, you can keep using it as hints as they work on their own writing long after the activity.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

d0rkablex2

found on TpT
Old 12-03-2016, 09:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm attaching something I found for free on TpT last year that I used with my autism classroom. It starts out as a model with worksheets, but then you can use the wording from it as cues when they're writing sentences elsewhere. I focused a lot on "Who?....Did what?" prompts when having them write sentences to get a basic noun/verb sentence out of them. Once they were able to do that, then I could give them more instruction/prompts on how to add to the sentence.
For example:
Who? - Jimmy
did what? - ate ice cream
sentence- Jimmy ate ice cream.
Then I could add prompts/cues like
Where did he eat ice cream? - at the mall
What kind of ice cream did he eat? - chocolate
new sentence - Jimmy ate chocolate ice cream at the mall.
Hope this helps!

P.S. - It wouldn't let me attach it, so I'm adding a link to it instead. https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...ntences-223997 (If the link doesn't work, just search "crafting sentences' on TpT and it will come up as a freebie.
d0rkablex2 is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

I also do a type of crafting sentences
Old 12-04-2016, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

along the lines of "Expand the sentence." I will start with a basic sentence like
"The dog walked."

Then I ask the Who? What? Where? When? How? questions. By the time we/ve answered all those we have a pretty good sentence with details, adjectives and adverbs, etc. As the lessons go on, we talk about prefixes and suffixes, tenses, similes and metaphors and so on. We even pull punctuation in as needed.

I put the base sentence on the smart board and go from there. When I am introducing a new concept, I do the sample sentences up there too. After a while, we discuss example sentences but I expect their sentences to look different.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Writing
Old 12-14-2016, 12:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Kansas Learning Strategies has Sentence Writing curriculum. It is a direct instruction approach that works great with kids with special needs.

Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote