Help

BusyBoard

Flexible Seating Advice Needed! Help!

>

deansbaby67

Flexible Seating Advice Needed! Help!
Old 06-16-2017, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am moving from 2nd to 3rd grade this year. I have wanted to try flexible seating for a while and I think now is my chance. I don't have access to, or money to buy, stools/giant pillows/bean bags. I do have desks and some tables of different shape and sizes. I am going to ask my dad to build a couple standing desks or even a table to stand at. Is it worth it? I am looping with my kids and a large majority of them prefer sitting on the floor or standing. What are your thoughts?
Next question is storing their books/tool boxes. My new room has cubbies.
Thanks!

deansbaby67 is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

What I have seen...
Old 06-17-2017, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
What are your thoughts?
Go small. Start out with a few and see how it works. I teach middle school and some of our ELAR teachers went with some flexible seating. At first it was like a new toy...but it seems to have worked out.

I would think that the biggest help with be that in a self-contained classroom you need ways for students to move around instead of constantly sitting.
aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-17-2017, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do the tables that you have already have adjustable legs? If so, use them to try it out. Put a table and a couple desks up high, or take off the leg/put them down all the way.

One year I thought I would to that, and my computers were on the low table. Wouldn't you know it, my kids kept taking chairs over to sit at the low table. Kind of defeated the purpose.

Now, I don't care if kids sit or stand during work time. They can sit on the floor, stand at their desk, whatever. I tried the bouncy ball thing once and that really was not worthwhile for me. The ball drove me crazy. Maybe if you had a class full it would be different, but mine was just something to argue over. I had beanbags, too. That was okay, but they take up space I no longer have with the number of students I end up with every year. Now I am at desks. No tables except for the reading table.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

Seating
Old 06-17-2017, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've taught third for 13 years. I have no money! I made a standing desk from bed risers! I got them at IKEA but I know they can be purchased other places. I just put the desk on the risers and voila! I had a standing desk! I bought yoga balls at Five and Below. They sell all kinds of fitness equipment and they have great yoga balls for $5.00. I bought four of them. It's doable and it made it better for so many kids! It was very worth it.
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

deansbaby67

Old 06-25-2017, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would like to start small-I think I have enough cubbies for my kids to store all their stuff in, that will be the biggest pain/adjustment! Maybe I will do 1/2 desks, 1/2 tables. My tables adjust, so I can do that. I will try out the bed risers, that's a great idea! Thanks for the help! That's a great idea!!

deansbaby67 is offline   Reply With Quote