Help

Special Education

How does this work?

>

multigrade

How does this work?
Old 08-09-2017, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

While in the classroom, I was in a private school without special ed.
Now I travel around my state helping a particular population of students who tend to fall through the cracks.

Last year, 'Fred' was in K. His P told me she expected him to repeat K, he had an IEP, and probably wouldn't graduate until he's 21. I just found out he's being placed into 1st! In K, he had one person who stayed with him. He can say only a few words. When he needs to use the restroom, he'll say 'potty' and needs to go THEN. He knows some numbers and letters, but isn't close to reading.

So, mom talked to the special ed teacher and was told he needs to learn to be independent. He won't have anyone to help this year. Mom was actually told there wasn't money to pay for someone to help him.

What rights does this child have? He has an IEP, but I've no idea what's in it. I'm guessing Fred is autistic and I'm fearful for him. His mom is, too.

multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

sha-nay-nay

Old 08-09-2017, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First, I would double check with the principal. Check what is in his IEP. Maybe a mistake was made when making class lists. I feel an IEP needs to be held to make sure supports are in place for him --- accommodations/modifications....... What will he use to communicate needs/wants (PECS, Augmentative communication device), does he need a picture schedule????. What was happening last year, to what degree, how will it be the same/different this year???? I don't blame your and mom for having questions.
It sounds like they are throwing him in the ocean and waiting to see if he sinks or swims. Money should NEVER be used as a "reason".........the principal and/or your sped director may need to look at other resources within the school.....Is there a para in another part of the building or district ??? Sorry If I sound disjointed....just trying to think......been there........ Yes, we want him to be as independent as possible, but you first have to give him the resources to do so as well as the training. And again....you CANNOT tell a parent there is no money/funding - no matter how true it may be......

Please keep in touch. I'd like to know how things go.
sha-nay-nay is offline   Reply With Quote
sped laws

sped laws

Old 08-09-2017, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The IEP is determined by the student's needs, not by the principal's budget. Yes, we all know that of course budget plays a role but it is an illegal statement on the principal's part.

Of course the student has rights and if it seems like the school/district is disregarding his rights, the parent needs to stand up for them. Never sign/agree to an IEP that you feel disregard your kids rights. Refuse it and have the district come back to the table. I don't know about every state, but my state has a few excellent and free options for free disability rights advocacy services if a parent needs help. The states department of education might also help.

The best advice you can give the parent is that she needs to be prepared to be a strong advocate for her child. It will take a lot of studying and it will be a learning curve but I do not see a way around it. She is right to fear for her kid. Time to turn into Mama Bear.

Lottalove

The PPs are right
Old 08-09-2017, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Money cannot determine services. Period. A student's needs are paramount. The P and SpEd Director need to find an aide for him even if it means one less elsewhere if a 1:1 is in the IEP. Even if independence is the goal, it needs to happen in reasonable increments (i.e. baby steps,) not "cold turkey" as it appears they are planning to do.

I am not opposed to the social promotion to 1st-those kids know him and he knows them. They are familiar to each other. Another round of K will most likely not significantly increase his learning. Appropriate support services can and will increase his learning.

With a low academic level, toileting and speech issues, it sounds as though the aide is still very necessary.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 08-10-2017, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks to all of you!
Mom admitted to me that she and the P always have hard words for each other. The P told me the same thing last year. Mom is Hispanic and English is difficult for her, but I was able to understand everything she said. Her teenage DD always goes to help translate.
I needed the above info. I will let you know what happens.

multigrade

Old 08-10-2017, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Talked to my boss. We are a federal program and have to tread very lightly...

I have info to give mom, the name of the person in her local education cooperative who can intervene. I cannot.

I appreciate all the info about how this works. I know the school is taking advantage, but mom has to talk to those who can help. I can't. I will update you all later.

d0rkablex2

Advocate
Old 08-10-2017, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Put her in contact with a parent advocate, preferably a bilingual one. Just having an advocate (or throwing around the word advocate...) show up at a meeting with mom will make the school know that the parent is onto them and isn't going to let them get away with not providing her son with the services he needs. If he has a 1:1 in his IEP, he NEEDS to get one legally. If the mom makes noise using any legal words like FAPE, LRE, advocate, the school district will start to get worried and will most likely start getting things in motion to have his needs be met better. The squeaky wheel (who uses the right lingo) gets the grease in my experience.
d0rkablex2 is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 08-11-2017, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Great idea! Thanks.