Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Who was your grandfather?

>

1956BD

Who was your grandfather?
Old 11-16-2017, 08:53 AM

Tell us something interesting about your grandfather(s).

1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

My maternal grandfather was a giver
Old 11-16-2017, 09:13 AM

He name was Hermon. He was the first born in his family and grew up on a farm.

He made the transition to city life when he was a young man when he moved from his parents' farm in Oklahoma to the big city of Dallas, TX. He got a job at factory called Mitchell's and eventually became a manager as he was a hard worker and good with people. He and my grandmother bought a home in the 1930's. It had four bedrooms and one bathroom.

As each of his siblings married and came to the big city they lived with my grandparents for a year or so as they transitioned from life in Oklahoma on the farm. Then when his parents got old they came to live with them. This is all while they are raising their own family of five children.

My grandfather even took in an old friend of his dad's. He had fought in World War II and was on disability. He could afford rent or food and supplies, but not both. So my grandfather built him a small home behind his home where the man could live rent free for the remainder of his life.

Then when his children married as young adults they all lived with my grandparents for short periods of time as needed.

I know this was a strain on them financially and yet he never turned any family member away. What a giving soul!

I have been researching my ancestors and discovered that 21 people lived on the property when my oldest aunt was one year hold. That means he had 18 extra people there!

ASAM

Old 11-16-2017, 09:18 AM

My grandfather was a teacher in a one room schoolhouse. He had to get there early to chop wood for the wood stove.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

grandfathers
Old 11-16-2017, 09:22 AM

I did not know either of my grandfathers as both passed away before I was born. My dad's dad was an old man before he ever married and had children. He took care of his parents and married in mid life. My mom's dad was killed while working on his farm in a tractor accident.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Grandpa
Old 11-16-2017, 09:29 AM

My Italian grandpa sailed alone to NY via France when he was 7 with his 9 year sister.

Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

dakota_blue5

Old 11-16-2017, 09:34 AM

My grandpa Joe on my mom's side was an angry man. He was angry that he had to marry his second wife because she was pregnant with my mother. He broke my mother's heart when he gave away her half-brother. My grandmother had brought a son into the marriage and after her death, Grandpa just gave him away to another family. My mother didn't see her brother again until they were adults. He also held a shotgun on my mom and her brothers and threatened he would shoot them when they were in their teens.

He mellowed as he aged and I never saw that side of him but he was always a self-absorbed, self-pitying man. I think, today, he would be described as narcissistic.

I've been told my Grandpa Adrian, on my dad's side, was a genius in his own way. He could fix anything. If it needed a part, and he didn't have one, he would make one. He had good ideas for inventions but no follow-through so others took his ideas and profited from them. He had seven sons and no daughters and one thing he longed for was a granddaughter. I was the first grandchild/daughter and born a little over a year after he died of leukemia. They say he was diagnosed with it and about a week later died from it. When he died every scar on his body opened up and bled.
dakota_blue5 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

grandfathers
Old 11-16-2017, 09:47 AM

I didn't spend a lot of time with either of my grandfathers. My Ohio grandfather had owned a grocery store but was retired by the time I was born. I remember his garden shed, and the huge red tomatoes that he grew and shared with everyone. He'd sit in shed and listen to the baseball game on the radio. He made me a wooden bunk bed and table with chairs for my Ginny doll (pre-Barbie). He was also the only man I knew that wore suspenders.

My Missouri grandfather was a farmer. My memories are of the little farm in 'town'. He was tall and very thin. He had a sense of humor and was very respected by the folks around. In the evening he'd sit on the front porch and sip a very small glass of blackberry cordial.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-16-2017, 10:01 AM

I never knew my paternal grandfather; I only know he was a poor farmer in Louisiana with 8 children.

My maternal grandfather was 59 when my mom was born. His first wife died and he remarried a younger woman who had 2 children then she died. My grandfather had a very successful buggy (horse-drawn) business and was quite wealthy then along came Henry Ford and he lost everything. He became a racehorse trainer. My mom grew up in all the California racetrack towns.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 11-16-2017, 10:48 AM

Both of my grandfathers were bankers who lost their jobs and their shirts in the Great Depression.

My maternal grandfather ultimately took his wife and younger children and moved to Washington, DC where my aunt (his oldest daughter) had found a government job. This was an unusual move back in the 1930s. People didn't just move away from home and family for a job. The family left Georgia and never looked back. My grandfather got a job with the federal government, and during WW II my grandmother went back to work making maps for the government. She had been a teacher when she was young.

My paternal grandfather reinvented himself as a broker for farm produce in Virginia. They survived until then because they already owned their home and his brothers gave them food from the family farms. It was a hard blow for a proud, educated man over 50.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

PCSLackey

Paternal Gpa
Old 11-16-2017, 12:14 PM

My paternal grandfather was #4 of 7 children. His mother was a full-blooded Cherokee who died when he was 5 of appendicitis. Pawpaw (as I called him) only went to the 6th grade. He married my Maw maw at 19 and they were poor, very poor. Mostly poor due to his alcohol and gambling habits. It was sad because he was a master carpenter - could build anything! 4 kids into their marriage (they'd have 8) he went to WWII. Thankfully that experience changed him for the good. He came home, and while he still drank and gambled he did so much more moderately. He and Maw maw had 4 more kids and finally saved enough money to leave their shack home (shack is generous) and built a house. My dad, 15 at the time, helped build it. It still stands to today.

I loved my Pawpaw, but he was very much a man of his day. He was racist, sexist, and generally had no filter to his speech even in front of children. He smoked his entire life and died of lung cancer at 82.

PCSLackey is offline   Reply With Quote

PCSLackey

My maternal Gpa
Old 11-16-2017, 12:24 PM

My mom's dad was pretty much the opposite of dad's. He was kind, gentle, and I don't remember him ever saying an unkind word about anyone. He wasn't always so. As a child, he'd been raised Mennonite and ran away (hopping on a train car) at age 15. His life went from very "pure" to quite licensious. When my mom was young, he liked to drink. My grandmother would send my young mom (think age 6) to the local bar to tell him to come home. He'd give her a nickel or whatever to get some candy and tell her to tell his wife he wasn't there. When my mom was 10ish, he almost died in a very bad car accident. He should have died, but walked away. Thankful for a second chance, he started taking his family to church. He became a follower of Jesus and eventually a pastor in the Nazarene/Assemblies of God tradition. He eventually somewhat reconciled with his parents. Enough that my mom and her brother got to meet them. He and his wife had a difficult marriage. Mostly, I believe, because she wasn't a follower of Jesus and resented the church for taking so much of his time and resources. He left a career in the Navy to pastor, which was a huge pay cut. I remember him playing with me and just holding me. He died of a heart attack at 88.
PCSLackey is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 11-16-2017, 12:38 PM

My maternal grandfather died when I was 2 so I don't remember him at all. We found out recently that he may have fought at Passchendaele (a long, bloody, terrible battle of WW1) but we're not sure.

My paternal grandfather died when I was 18. He was lovely. He called everybody "dear" and smiled happily when he saw us, right up to the end of his life when he couldn't remember our names. He was playful and we loved him.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Old 11-16-2017, 12:58 PM

My paternal grandfather and his brother were both named John. Grandpa was John Frederick and his brother was John Henry, otherwise known as Uncle Hank. I recently heard a story about a trip they had to make at about 8 and 9 to the post office. They hitched the wagon up, drove the horses miles and miles to the post office. It was so cold in South Dakota that they had to get out and walk to keep warm. This would have been around 1910. Amazing responsibility for two little boys.
anabel12 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 11-16-2017, 01:29 PM

My maternal grandfather died before I was born. He and my grandma married young, and as a couple, double dated often with another couple friend of theirs. Both couples got married and stayed friends, until my grandfather died of lunch cancer around age 40. The wife of the other couple died fairly soon afterwards as well. Just a few years later, my grandma remarried the other man, and they were married for 40 more years. He's the only grandpa I ever knew and a wonderful one at that. I have a fun picture of both men together (my mom's dad and stepdad) around age 19, before they both got married.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 11-16-2017, 01:41 PM

My paternal grandfather died at the age of 47 of a heart attack. My dad was just 6 years old at the time.

My maternal grandfather, Harry, was a college painter. My mom didn't know him growing up, my grandmother forbid him to see her. They got reacquainted when I was a baby.

My maternal step grandfather was a restaurant owner. I remember sitting at the bar drinking Shirley Temples when I was little. It "mysteriously" burned down after he and my grandmothers divorce.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 11-16-2017, 01:57 PM

My mother’s father grew up speaking German (till he started kindergarten) in New Ulm, MN. His dad was a carpenter. He told me one of his chores as a boy was to go to the brewery to get a bucket of beer for dinner each day. He went to high school with the artist and author Wanda Gag (maybe you know the book Millions of Cats). He left New Ulm after high school to study engineering at Cornell. After several years in college, he was drafted and fought in WW I. Before he was sent overseas he met my grandmother in Detroit and they got married. They went to Maine, from whence he was sent to fight in Germany. When he returned, they went back to Detroit for a time, but eventually moved with their four girls to Baltimore. Pop (my mom and her sisters always called him that, and so did we grandchildren) was in charge of putting steam heat in the city of Baltimore.

Pop was an air raid warden during WW II. Despite his childhood rearing in a German culture, he considered himself fully American and owing no allegiance to Germany. (He was 3rd or 4th generation American depending on which grandparent you consider).

He never lived close to us, and he died when I was a young teen, but I remember him as being fun and loving. My mother always felt he had lots of wisdom, and she trusted him with her problems because of that.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrHistory12

Old 11-16-2017, 01:58 PM

Both of my grandfather's died when I was a little kid.

My maternal grandfather worked at a GM plant. One of my all time favorite pictures is of me as a baby sleeping on his chest

My paternal grandfather was Native American. He served in World War 2 as an MP. He also gave me one of 2 stuffed animals I still possess.
MrHistory12 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 11-16-2017, 02:04 PM

My fatherís father grew up in Toledo, Ohio. He left school in 8th grade when his dad was killed in a railroad accident (his dad worked in the rail yards). Grandpa worked from age 14, first for the railroad, and later for Standard Oil, to support his mother and siblings. He helped to send his older brother to law school. He was drafted and fought in WW I, and afterward he married my grandmother. They moved immediately to Miami, FL, but returned after the birth of my dad. I believe the impetus for returning to Ohio was that their house was badly damaged in a hurricane.

Although he only had an elementary education, Grandpa valued education highly. He served on the school board, and made sure my father could achieve his goal of going to medical school.

After he retired, I remember he worked part time as a security guard in the Toledo Art Museum. He converted to Catholicism when I was a little girl preparing for my first communion, and he taught me how to pray the rosary.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 11-16-2017, 03:31 PM

My maternal grandfather was a cook in the Canadian Navy. He left the Navy when my mom was 5 and taught cooking at a vocational school. When my mom was 13, he and my grandmother opened a franchise of a coffee chain, one of the first in Atlantic Canada. They eventually had several stores and were very involved in a charitable foundation. Canadians will know what I mean by "Camp Day" - my grandfather was one of the founders of what is now a national fundraiser. He died suddenly of a heart attack at only 69.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:20 PM

My grandfather was the best. He could fix anything. He never graduated from high school, quit school to build a house for his mom after his dad left. He also build the first home for each of his daughters.
He proudly served his country and was the one all of the neighborhood widows called when they needed help. He was also the family bank. If someone needed money, we borrowed from him and paid it back monthly, interest free.

He refused to sell me the land for my house for its value. I paid somewhere near what he had paid for it before I was even born. He and my grandma took in foster kids, elderly parents (he had 2 sets), and grandkids (me and my brother) whose parents couldn't get it together.

Still this day, my mom will say "I wish Daddy were here. He could fix this." ALS took him from us before the disease was well known and way before we were ready.
Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Grandfather
Old 11-16-2017, 04:23 PM

My paternal grandfather was one of 11 children and lost his mother at the age of 12. When he was 17, he traveled over the border to Canada to join the Royal Canadian Army in 1914 - WWI, losing his US citizenship. that is where he met my grandmother. He was a driver (trucks, ambulances) in England and France, but was lured by the new "flying machines" and transferred to flight school. He spent the rest of WWI flying Sopwith Dolphins.

My maternal grandfather emigrated from Sweden in 1912. His emigrant's trunk (the only piece of luggage allowed passengers on the ship) was full of his carpentry tools. He settled in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area and helped with the finish work in the state capitol building before being hired by a local company that custom-designed high-end furniture. He learned to speak English by going to night school, and I even have some of his saved homework!
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 11-16-2017, 04:45 PM

I only knew one grandfather. My dad's stepfather (the one he knew as Dad) died in a car accident in 1948. My dad was 10. My grandmother never remarried.

My maternal grandfather was a farmer. He had a third grade education. He never learned to drive. He had a very easygoing personality. He always wore overalls, and he chewed tobacco. He had gorgeous ice blue eyes. He was nearly deaf. The thing I always found most interesting was that he was a vegetarian.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 11-16-2017, 04:48 PM

My grandfather on my Dad's side was one of the CEO's for Walgreens.. although he retired many years ago. He was around when they expanded to being on nearly every corner (in our area). Self made multi-millionaire when back then it was possible! I believe he started on the docks for Walgreens and worked his way up.

My grandfather on my Mom's side is a retired marine. To this day.. his military career influences how he behaves. Still has the crew cut.. and super strict personality.

I am thankful to have all 4 of my grandparents still alive.
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

brooks56

Paternal
Old 11-16-2017, 04:54 PM

My paternal grandfather was Scottish and was the 7th son of a 7th son and thought he could take off people's warts. He was a little short man with lots of personality and died before I was born.
brooks56 is offline   Reply With Quote

chronicfun

Old 11-16-2017, 05:08 PM

My maternal grandpa was a quiet, sweet and loving father of 7 who died of stomach cancer when I was 6 years old. I have very few memories of him, but they are all sweet ones. He was a mason who did excellent work. He also preached acceptance and didn't put up with racism.

My paternal grandpa was completely the opposite and I never knew him as he killed himself when my dad was 9. My dad found him in the barn. My dad never talks about his dad, but I know from other family members that he was an abusive alcoholic. He very well may have turned to alcohol to self medicate as he had the debilitating, early onset arthritic change that hits many in our family, myself included. Back in the 30's-40's self medication was all he had available to him. I'm pretty sure he worked on the family farm until he couldn't work anymore. After his death, my grandma (who was so sweet) was left to raise 4 kids on her own with barely enough money to feed them on a daily basis.
chronicfun is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-16-2017, 05:48 PM

Thank you, 1956, for the great question and huge thanks to everyone for the responses. Iíve read every one twice. You make me proud to be an American.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

My grandfather
Old 11-16-2017, 07:12 PM

His name was Roman and he was born in Pennsylvania, the son of a German immigrant. His mother died when he was still a toddler, and for a time he was raised by Catholic nuns in an orphanage as his father was always away at work and unable to care for him. He always spoke well of the nuns and was a life long faithful Catholic. When he was school age, he returned home. As a young man, he joined the army and fought in the trenches in WW1 in France. Then he came home and married my grandmother a few years later. He was a farmer for a while during the early Depression years. Eventually, he and his family left to seek more opportunities in the city.

Although he only completed eighth grade, he was hired to work at IBM and became a shop floor manager. My mother, his oldest child, used to tutor him in algebra while she was in HS so he could keep up with the technical demands of his job. Many years later, he retired from the company with a good pension and the proverbial solid gold watch which today belongs to his oldest son, my uncle. My grandfather loved to cook and take care of all his own home maintenance. He believed in hard work and education, and together with my grandmother, transmitted those core beliefs to his children and grandchildren. He was also a Roosevelt Democrat to his core! I was 23 when he died, and have always been glad I'm the oldest of his eight grandchildren as that meant I knew him longest.

I never knew my paternal grandfather. He was born and lived his entire life in Eastern Europe and Russia. He and my paternal grandmother both died before my parents were married.

Last edited by Ruby tunes; 11-16-2017 at 07:52 PM..
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-16-2017, 07:25 PM

One of my grandpas was born on a boat coming over from Germany. Since the boat was American, he was born an American citizen.

I think the most interesting thing about my other grandpa was that he was a "house husband." He hated working outside of the home and my grandma loved it, so she always had a job and he stayed home and cooked and cleaned. My grandma didn't know how to cook and joked that she had no idea where the vacuum was kept . Maybe not so interesting in 2017, but that kind of set up was pretty much unheard of "back in the day" when my grandparents were younger.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

lte's mom

Old 11-16-2017, 07:31 PM

My maternal grandfather had a 4th grade education--if that. He was known to skip school and hang out in the woods. He and my grandmother had 11 kids. She died due to complications of childbirth. He wouldn't/couldn't get a midwife and thought he could deliver the baby himself. He didn't know that not all of the placenta was expelled. After my grandmother died, he took the 5 youngest kids, my mother included, and dropped them off at an orphanage. My older uncles broke in and took the kids back promising to help raise them. My grandfather was a mean man and was really upset that my mom married a Japanese man. He would not recognize her kids as his kin.
lte's mom is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

My Papaw
Old 11-16-2017, 08:16 PM

My Papaw was my step grandfather, but a real grandfather to me. Whereas my father's father was not.

Papaw was a quiet man. He was a Christian. He was very patient and he gave the best hugs.

He made his living as a short order cook. The infamous Bonnie and Clyde used to come to the restaurant's kitchen door to purchase Papaw's fried chicken. Yum!

He was a good husband to my granny who had previously been married to a many who abused her physically.

He too had been married before and gained custody of his daughter after his divorce. He and my granny joined forces to raise yours and mine as they each had preteen daughters. They were lucky to have found one another.

Mrs. Br3

Old 11-16-2017, 08:19 PM

My maternal grandfather was a railroad switchman for the majority of his adult life. He would put my mom on the train as a four year old to ride to her grandparent's home three hours away. He set his watch daily based on the, "train time," and did this even after he retired. My husband now has that pocket watch because my mom was an only child and hubby was the "first son," in the family. My husband never had the chance to meet my grandfather Grandpa would sit and listen to the sound of the trains that were close to my parents home with his eyes closed when he was in his late 80s and smile...the repetitive noise of them hitting the crossings gave him a peace when he was in pain.

My paternal grandfather always walked with a cane and had slurred speech while I knew him. He was one of 14 boys boys born to my great-grandmother. He married my grandmother when she was 14 and he was 21. He was a miner and went on to be a very successful mining foreman all around the world until a mine collapse in the 70s...he went in to dig out his men and a secondary collapse occurred where a large boulder hit him in the head causing damage similar to a stroke hence the struggle to walk and speak...those struggles didn't inhibit his strong opinions or sense of humor. He was known to tease us girls immensely and we would giggle and giggle because he would start to chuckle, then play another trick on us. I was petrified of him until I was about 4, not sure why. Had I been a boy I would have been named Charles after him.

I miss them both greatly and wish my husband had known them before they passed away.
Mrs. Br3 is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 11-16-2017, 11:09 PM

My Gramps was injured on the last day of WWI, actually after the war was over. He failed triage and was put in the left for dead pile. When they got word the war was over and the causalities stopped, he was saved. He came home, married the girl next door and had 5 kids and 17 grandkids.

The most interesting thing of it all was that he was a trench runner. Interesting to think of what the message he was running at the time of his injury (we think it was about 2 hours after the armistice was signed) might have been.

Veteran's Day gets to me every year. Next year will be the 100th anniversary of his injury. (I'm hoping my Dad, the last of his living children, will still be around to celebrate.)
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Quack!

Old 11-17-2017, 05:30 AM

I never knew my maternal grandfather. He died when my mom was 13 from lung cancer. He had 12 children with my grandmother and about 3 others that we know about. He was a WWII vet and was in Italy on D-Day. We like to joke that we might have some Italian cousins since we know he wasn't a faithful husband.

My paternal grandfather was known as Jr. He was a very tall man and eloped with my grandmother on Christmas Eve 1952. He was a senior in high school and she was nearly 3 years older. He ended up quitting school and they moved to the Chicago area for work from Alabama. My dad and his siblings would be sent to Alabama in the summers to visit with my great-grandparents and work the farm. When my dad was 14, they moved back. He was known as a jack of all trades and could fix many things. My last good memory of him is him holding and playing with my oldest daughter one weekend in May. I was sitting at the kitchen table and the thought came to me to take a picture, but I didn't. He had a massive stroke a few days later and died. I miss him greatly.
Quack! is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Old 11-17-2017, 04:45 PM

I knew my mom's dad well. I never knew my dad's real father (he passed away when dad was 10). His step father was an alcoholic, abusive man and my dad hated him. Dad left home at age 14 and never did reconcile with his mom.

As for my grandpa, he was dirt poor and raised 8 kids on a small farmers income. But he knew how to treat people and he had love for each of his 25 grandchildren. He never spoke an unkind word about anyone and he always shared what little he had. When my dad married my mom, he gained a father he never had. I miss my grandpa and grandma (mom's parents).
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

cpbirch

Grandpa
Old 11-18-2017, 03:47 PM

He came to America fro Italy when he was 18 years old. Made his living by doing masonry work in the north Jersey region.
cpbirch is offline   Reply With Quote