Help

The VENT

54 days absent

>

readnteach13

54 days absent
Old 01-31-2018, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My friend and colleague teaches in an ILC classroom. One of her students has missed 54 days this year (out of 86). Admin. is aware and has done nothing. My friend has called, emailed, mailed letters, sent notes home, and done everything in her power to contact the family. Teachers cannot make home visits in my district. I guess my question is what can she do? Admin. doesn't care and I'm sure he will not be retained. Do you think this warrants a call to CPS?

This is a 4th grader who cannot count to 100, recognize any number over 10, and cannot read, write, hold a pencil, or sit still in a chair. The system is failing this child.

readnteach13 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-31-2018, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I guess she can hotline for educational neglect just to cover her bases, but know that it will come back unfounded and nothing will be done.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Absences
Old 01-31-2018, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would refer it to the truancy office in the school system. If there isn't one, I would call CPS.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 01-31-2018, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I would refer it to the truancy office in the school system. If there isn't one, I would call CPS.
Definitely agree!!! I know where similar absentee situations have occurred and the courts get involved to mandate attendance.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 01-31-2018, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Missing that many school days warrants a CPS call and visit. I'd wonder if they were only sending him to school when the bruises were healed.

marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Elyssa

I know of someone in my district
Old 01-31-2018, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

whose 8th grader was put into foster care over a similar situation.

I would check into truancy educational codes and call CPS. When was the last time anyone even saw the kid? What reasons are given for his many absences?
Elyssa is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

More
Old 01-31-2018, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Keep in mind that the parents are breaking the law by not sending the child to school. If you don't get anywhere with CPS, ask a social worker with the school system to investigate. The police can be brought in to help in cases like these too.

MissAgnes

Parents can go to jail.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

A few years ago we had a similar problem with a family. The mom ended up spending some time in jail because of it.
After that the kids had perfect attendance.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-31-2018, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

At my school, the counselor handles truancy issues. Do you have a counselor you can contact and have investigate this? I do know of truancy issues that have been reported to CPS, but that's a call the school counselor makes.

That's really sad.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Hawkeyegirl1

Your friend needs to document....
Old 01-31-2018, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

everything she has done. I would call CPS. She can explain the situation and
document she called. In our district, the teacher is responsible for calling CPS. Just because the admin is not doing their job, the teacher can't let this go. I admire your friend for trying so hard.

Hawkeyegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

readnteach13

Thank you
Old 01-31-2018, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thank you to everyone for the advice. My friend couldn't tell me too much due to privacy reasons. This student comes to school clean and with all the expensive clothes and gear- UGGs, North Face, iPad in his backpack for his "good behavior reward time" at the end of the day. He says he just plays video games at home. His parents just don't care.
It is a brand new school, but it is within a very solid and well-off district. It is a reminder that neglect and abuse can happen anywhere.

I have advised her to call CPS if our social worker will not. Sadly, even a wealthy, powerful district has so many abuse and neglect cases, that situations like this fall between the cracks.
It just makes me sad. This child has no intellectual disability, but the lack of parental involvement has changed the trajectory of his life .

Haley23

Old 01-31-2018, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think they should call CPS, for documentation if nothing else, but I wouldn't expect anything to come of it. Of course I can't give too many details, but I had a really heartbreaking case last year where not coming to school was the tip of the iceberg. CPS told us the parent was simply a "mediocre parent." Apparently the mere fact that there was food in the fridge was enough for them to say there was no abuse/neglect. They offered parenting classes, which of course only made the parent angry.

I'm not sure if this differs by state or how it's decided, but the courts around here announced many years ago that they would no longer deal with truancy issues. They said truancy is the school's problem, not the courts' problem.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Cps
Old 01-31-2018, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Don't give up on CPS doing something. I had nothing but good luck with them in my 25 years of teaching. Saying that this case will probably fall between the cracks is giving up too early.

hiker1

Old 01-31-2018, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Document everything. Is there any way that your friend can send a letter to your state board of ed and get their input?
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

d0rkablex2

Old 01-31-2018, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I had a feeling ILC didn't exist elsewhere, and I was right...I clicked on your profile and you're in Delaware! I taught in an ILC program for 2 years in DE and this sounds fairly familiar to me. What my friend who also teaches ILC and I have always thought when we're debating whether we should call CPS is "if you're really going back and forth about whether it's the right call.....call." You don't want it weighing on your conscience that you didn't make the call and then you find out something horrible happened. I've had mixed experiences over the years with CPS; but I do know of a few kids who HAVE been taking out of their homes due to continued calls (and horrific findings when CPS investigated.)
d0rkablex2 is offline   Reply With Quote

readnteach13

Old 01-31-2018, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Yep, Iím in good old Delaware! Thanks to everybody for sharing your thoughts.