Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Summer blues

>

pinklipstick

Summer blues
Old 05-21-2018, 08:57 AM

I was told today that it looks like they might not have enough kids that they need me for summer school. I no longer have kids at home and my husband still has to work all through the summer. I am seriously stressed out because I know me and know that I will get extremely bored. I was also going to use that money to pay some things off AND pay for our summer vacation we are taking at the of June.

So... please help! What are some things you do during the summer when you are home by yourself? Do you do anything to make money?

pinklipstick is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 05-21-2018, 09:28 AM

In the summer I spend a couple of weeks deep cleaning my house. I also love to go on lengthy bike rides and have more time to go for longer walks and to do strength exercises. This year I plan to take some yoga classes that our new health center at the high school offers. We have a number of flowerbeds that I maintain. I enjoy sewing. I have a new embroidery machine I want to learn how to use as well as recently took up quilting. I catch up on reading. I never seem to have trouble keeping from getting bored!
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 05-21-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
What are some things you do during the summer when you are home by yourself? Do you do anything to make money?
Cleaning, home improvement projects, movies, reading, planning for next year, weekend trips, gardening, visiting family, seeing friends, hobbies, PD, freezer cooking for next year, baking, try to exercise more, check out summer in the park free events...

Being bored doesn't ever seem to be a problem!

I don't have a summer job.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

cpbirch

Summer THings
Old 05-21-2018, 09:54 AM

Clean and organize the house
Crafts! I try to make my Christmas cards and some Christmas gifts
Read lots of books
Go out with friends
Walk every morning while it is cool and bug free!
cpbirch is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Summer projects
Old 05-21-2018, 10:17 AM

Like others, I deep clean the house in the summer. I also use that time to paint any rooms that need it, and do any repair that needs to be done. I also read, swim, and walk a lot. My husband also works a lot in the summer, and I'm often alone from 8:00 a.m. till midnight, so I've figured out a lot of ways to keep busy.

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-21-2018, 10:46 AM

I SHOULD deep clean the house. I work out 4-5 days a week and walk with a friend. I walk the dogs (when they deign to wake up ), I catch up on garbage television, meet friends for lunch, take long naps and recharge. This summer I'm going to be dealing with house issues apparently.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I am sorry your plans are spoiled
Old 05-21-2018, 10:47 AM

I hope you can adjust your plans and still enjoy your summer.

I am retired now and have just started art journaling. I love it! Let me explain that although I am a creative person I am not an artist and never have been. But with stencils, stickers and ideas from Pinterest and Youtube I am creating beautiful pages that I am pleased with. Not sure if anyone else would think they are artistic but the process is satisfying a need deep within me. Maybe this would be something you could enjoy. Collage can help you use old magazines and junk mail to be creative on a budget.

When I was teaching I came up with a summer project each year to hopefully make me a better teacher. One summer I went to the public library weekly to get children's book to read so I would have more background knowledge of children's literature. This became very helpful in choosing read alouds and assisting students in choosing their own books.

Another summer I focused on designing a way to help students understand all the shapes better for math geometry in third grade. I found a craft, wrote a riddle, found a story... for each shape.

Another summer I made some math games. Doing these projects each summer gave me some much needed structure to add to my lazy daze.

Maybe there are household jobs that you never get to during the school year like cleaning windows. Completing a few of these during the break always made me feel good about myself and my home.

Maybe you could learn to cook a couple of new dishes. Casseroles, quiches...
Most of us end up in a rut making the same things over and over. Why not mix it up a bit?

What about something for you personally? A new workout routine? Homemade facials to improve your complexion? Meditation? Learn to grow your nails out and give yourself a professional manicure? Or maybe your feet need some softening and grooming?

Maybe you could get rid of junk in your house and have a garage sale to make some $ for vacation.

Binge watching TV series like Downton Abbey, When Calls The Heart, Firefly or Grace and Frankie is fun. It is so nice not having to wait a week to see what happens after each episode.

Good luck for a replanned and happy summer vacation.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

pinklipstick

Thanks! but one thing I should mention...
Old 05-21-2018, 10:57 AM

Yall all have really great ideas and I really appreciate you sharing! It definitely gives me some ideas! I really need to work on my eating!

One thing I should mention though is I can't really deep clean. My husband and I sold our house last September and just about EVERYTHING in it and moved into a 5th wheel. We love to travel and do so on weekends, holidays and summers. However, it sounds like that might get limited since my vacay money is not going to be there...lol. But, deep cleaning takes me, at the most, an hour. I love this lifestyle, but do think it might add to my bordem.

Keep the ideas coming! They really do help!

mhugs

okay
Old 05-21-2018, 11:13 AM

life in a 5th wheeler
our public library offers FREE museum passes

ours also offers afternoon movies-FREE
Not sure how old you are...our town has activities at the Sr Center Free for those 55 and older Art, Exercise, Games, Dance etc

Look at your area as a tourist...are there places other people travel to come see?

Our library also offers free on line books through the state library

Do you knit or crochet? Cross Stitch?

Is your 5th wheeler parked near others? get to know others
Practice small space cooking

I'm so sorry your plans didn't work out...
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Charlotte

Old 05-21-2018, 11:25 AM

What about private tutoring?

Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 05-21-2018, 11:41 AM

I give myself photo assignments. Yesterday was “wildflower hunting.” I take photos and post them to Instagram. Tomorrow is “sunlight and shadow.” It changes how I look at things.
blueskies96 is online now   Reply With Quote

pinklipstick

blueskies
Old 05-21-2018, 12:02 PM

That is an awesome idea! How do you come up with your ideas? I am part of a facebook page that does a photo a day. You post it into the group. It's fun!

MAsped

Old 05-21-2018, 02:28 PM

I could be on hiatus from work for 5+ years or never work ever again and never be bored. I'm serious, I just don't get bored. I can keep myself busy between my walking, gym-going, TV/DVD movie watching, magazine-flipping, YouTube channel watching, running errands, mall/store-browsing (maybe a little shopping here and there too), etc. and I don't even have any kids, my fiance' works a regular M-F job, plus the area in which we live is very nice, but there's not that much to do.

Regarding working, I know there are those companies out there in which you can work from home teaching English to foreign students. VIP Kid (or Kids) is one of them.

I can give you some things to do over here!
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

online ESL teaching
Old 05-21-2018, 05:15 PM

I'm teaching English online through a company similar to the one MAsped mentioned. I'd be happy to give you more info if you're interested.
dawnmei is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-21-2018, 06:35 PM

I can relate. I enjoy a few "lazy days" here and there, but I do find myself getting bored/restless if I don't make intentional plans in the summer. We quit offering summer school several years ago and at first it was hard for me to adjust (they posted ONE 2 week position this year, and I didn't get it ).

Check out meetup.com and see if there is anything that interests you. I met some good girlfriends through meetup when I first moved to this location.

This summer, due to some of them moving and some having babies, my social calendar was looking pretty sparse so I decided to look at meetup again. I didn't really see much that I liked, so I started my own women's group to do things closer to my own neighborhood (I'm near a large city, and most other events were downtown).

I'm planning to host at least 1-2 events per week this summer in between traveling, and I'll look in other groups to see if there is anything I'm interested attending as well. I personally prefer the women only groups. I found that even in groups where I haven't necessarily clicked with anyone and made a "real friend" outside of the meetup, I enjoyed getting out of the house and explored areas of the city/events that I probably wouldn't have otherwise known about.

I hosted a happy hour last week as my group's first event, and it was small but really fun! The ladies that came suggested we do a movie later this week.

In the past, I've also looked into doing some of the more touristy-related things in and around my city that I'd never been to (I've lived here for awhile now, but am not originally from this area)- things like museums and outdoorsy stuff. Even if I went alone it still gave me something to get out of the house and do!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote