Help

Retired Teachers

feelings of wanting to go back

>

Pasquier

feelings of wanting to go back
Old 04-20-2019, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I retired in June of 2018 and am still adjusting.
Did your feelings of wanting to go back disappear?
Thank you.

Pasquier is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

"Did your feelings of wanting to go back
Old 04-20-2019, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

disappear?" Uhhhmmm...like painting water on cement to teach a lesson on evaporation to kinders... it's gone by next recess. You will find an outlet and it will fade. List all the pros and cons of retirement and hopefully the pros will be longer on your list! If you are missing your "kids" like said before, find your outlet.
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 04-20-2019, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

As ThankaTchr stated... find your outlet.

As for me, it was an adjustment period of a school year when I retired. All that free time was a real shocker! I have great memories of my 40 year career in education bit Iíve moved on to the happy days of retirement. Four years retired now. Never have thought about going back.

I hope you find your niche.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I retired in June 2018 also...
Old 04-20-2019, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have to say that honestly, I have not experienced any feelings of wanting to go back. The crushing workload, the lack of real connections to my principal and most colleagues, and a difficult class made that decision easier for me. If you do miss it, I would look into volunteering at your school or in your town's schools. Some people enjoy subbing, but it is important that you check the rules for your pension so you don't jeopardize anything with that.

Since retiring, I am loving the time to focus on what I truly want to do. I joined a gym and have discovered I love spinning, and even started attending a boot camp class once a week. I have a retired teachers lunch group I go out with once a month and I joined the retired teachers branch of my union, which has programs every few months. On the weekends, if there is something I want to do for fun, like a group hike, nature program or author signing, I can do it without worrying about having to do anything school-related. And I actually have time to read for pleasure! My retired friend and I have gone to shows in NYC during the week on "school nights" and we took a road trip in October when the majority of the world was working. The Tybee Island beach looked mighty fine with 90 degree temps and no one on it!

It is normal to miss working at school for many people. After all, we have defined ourselves as educators for a LONG time. Find your passion and I bet those feelings start to fade. It's a new chapter in a new book in your life, but it can be a wonderful time.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 04-21-2019, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I retired in June of 2016. I kept busy the first year with several trips and then getting house ready to sell. I missed the kids and the colleagues at work. After we moved I began volunteering in an elementary school near my home. I love it! Contact with kids and knowing I am helping the teacher gives me joy. I am also involved in a book club, am president of our condo association, and still find time to travel a bit. You will find your niche.

Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Phyllis

Volunteering
Old 04-21-2019, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I missed school too much. Immediately after retiring, I did 3 interims. My husband objected to the papers to grade at home, so I stopped that. After he died 6 years ago, I began volunteering to help a coworker who was moved to kindergarten against her wishes. I have continued to volunteer daily 4 hours a day for the last five years. It's wonderful to see the students make so much progress. I am happy doing this. It gives me a purpose.
Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Yes
Old 04-24-2019, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

For the first two years after I left I felt that way. Once I adjusted to my current lifestyle of things like getting out of bed in the morning when I wanted to, taking my time over breakfast, and keeping a clean house, I couldn't imagine going back. I’m going out this afternoon to work on my garden.

I think what makes it hard at first is losing your identity. When I fill out forms now that ask for my occupation, I say retired. It was hard to swallow at first.

The biggest plus for me is not getting sick anymore. I used to catch every cold that went around. I had strep. No more. I haven’t really had a cold since 2015. I retired in 2014.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

mistydawn

Returning
Old 04-24-2019, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Every time you feel like returning to work, go to the Vent board. Read a few postings and you will get over that feeling.
mistydawn is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 04-24-2019, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

mistydawn - thatís exactly what I do when I miss teaching! Cures it immediately.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

2grade

Old 05-06-2019, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You didn't become a competent teacher overnight. Becoming a satisfied and contented retiree takes time. How much time varies. Remember- it's a process! Enjoy the ride!

2grade is offline   Reply With Quote