Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

College graduation questions....

>

Ruby07

College graduation questions....
Old 05-13-2019, 02:52 AM

My older DD graduated from college yesterday. Inside the folder they received was a blank piece of paper; diplomas will be mailed after finals are scored. So, at the ceremony yesterday, there was no way to know if the kids graduated with honors (Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, Summa Cum Laude). That all made sense to me.

But this weekend, Facebook is flooded with college graduation photos, including diplomas, and mentioning honors.

So how do they do that? And why couldn't my daughter's school do it?

Sorry to sound clueless, lol. Elementary school is my home, and I don't know much else

Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 05-13-2019, 03:11 AM

Maybe it has to do with the size of the college? Or just how they do things? I know at my graduation, honors were definitely known, but we did not receive our real diploma at the ceremony. It was mailed to us later.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
mds2

mds2

Old 05-13-2019, 03:28 AM

I've seen colleges hold graduation a bit later after finals. It gives time to grade, input final results, and process data. Blank certificates are given at the time of the ceremony and afterwards students go to a location to pick up the actual certificate or to a department ceremony for the actual diploma.

I'm not sure how schools who hold graduation ceremonies the day after finals can have everything processed and printed.

teachnkids

Old 05-13-2019, 03:55 AM

I think it depends on the university schedule and policy. My DD and I just had this exact conversation. When she and my DS graduated exams were done several days before graduation, so they knew all the details. One university we we're talking about had exams until graduation day. So there was no way to know final exam details. I imagine there are some that walk and later find out they need to retake that class to earn the diploma.

I personally think it's crazy and unfair in several ways. One, you don't get to recognize those who graduated with honors. Two, someone may walk that didn't actually graduate. I guess for that one it's better to walk and retake one class because summer graduations are often smaller or non existent.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

potter403

Old 05-13-2019, 03:56 AM

My oldest graduated last year. There was a full week between the end of exams and graduation so they knew who graduated with honors but not enough time to have it on their diploma so they got a sticker to add to their diploma with their honors indication. Of course my honors grad lost the sticker.

potter403 is offline   Reply With Quote

potter403

Old 05-13-2019, 03:57 AM

My oldest graduated last year. There was a full week between the end of exams and graduation so they knew who graduated with honors but not enough time to have it on their diploma so they got a sticker to add to their diploma with their honors indication. Of course my honors grad lost the sticker. He did go to a very small school.
potter403 is offline   Reply With Quote

k28

Old 05-13-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Of course my honors grad lost the sticker

Sorry, but this made me chuckle!
k28 is offline   Reply With Quote

gradymidget

Old 05-13-2019, 05:01 AM

When my daughter graduated last year from a well-known large university in our state, it acknowledged in the program that she was graduating with highest honors. Of course she didnít realize that she should have purchased the cord to wear acknowledging that for the ceremony.
gradymidget is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 05-13-2019, 12:36 PM

Usually you know ahead of time if you are graduating with honors and get a special cord to wear for graduation. Doesnít it say on her transcripts online? I think someone would have let her know ahead of time if she was graduating with honors.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 05-13-2019, 01:05 PM

I was at a huge college....

Our diplomas were also mailed about 6 weeks after graduation.
However, we had finals and knew our final grades at least a week or two before graduation. If we were graduating with honors we were able to buy the appropriate honors cord. It was indicated in the programs as well.

In high school the seniors got out a week early to ensure those who walked in graduation did in fact graduate.

Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 05-13-2019, 01:16 PM

A very long time ago I graduated with honors. There was special awards dinner the week of graduation and everything. It was noted in programs and announced as I walked. I don't know how they did it all ahead of time. Maybe based on up to that point? If your last semester grades messed it up, oh well? You got the show, but your transcript would straighten it all out?
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

college
Old 05-13-2019, 02:47 PM

I had the same questions. It depends on the college. The thing is, even if it SAYS magna cum laude, that's just what they had going into the finals. So honestly what it says on the graduation list isn't accurate. The true list is when all the grades are completed.

Our closest college had graduation last Friday and the grades weren't in until today. They told the students that if they didn't pass a class, they can retake it this summer. Not sure how that can happen since they don't typically offer all the classes over the summer.

All seems silly to me! With technology the way it is today, they should require grades be in BEFORE graduation ceremonies take place.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote