Help

The VENT

Continuation of my resignation

>

hikinghiker

Continuation of my resignation
Old 12-18-2019, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If you've not heard yet: I'm leaving my school mid year due mainly to admin problems and dissatisfaction with the educational philosophy of my charter school. Plus getting an offer at a school that was too good to pass up (15 kids instead of my 25). I teach kindergarten and most of my kids are 5 with a few 6 year olds.

My principal is drafting a letter to parents that I'll hand out tomorrow. I'm not allowed to write my own letter/email. She also wants me to tell my kindergarteners at the end of the day and said that she'll be in the room when I do "for support" but in reality it's just going to make me really nervous since she's super judgmental.

Originally I was not planning on telling them, instead I was going to leave it up to their parents since they're so young and maybe write them a note that their parents could read to them if they chose. Apparently that's not an option though.

What should I say? I have a few VERY curious boys and I know they'll keep asking 'why' and I don't know what to tell them after "I won't be returning after Christmas." It's even worse now. I'm half tempted to tell them earlier in the day then do a 'fake' telling later in front of the principal.

I thought about saying something about it being the right choice for me and that it's important to make good choices for yourself but I'm not sure. Advice and tips?

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 12-18-2019, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What are you telling the parents? If you're telling them you took another job, that's what I'd tell the kids, too. It's adult stuff. They don't have enough experience with school to question you leaving before the year is over, I doubt.

I don't think I'd talk about choices.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

It's hard
Old 12-18-2019, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'd tell them that it's for family reasons. Tell them that you will miss them dearly, but that you have to think of your family first. Expect tears and confusion. But they will adapt to a new teacher.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Resignation
Old 12-18-2019, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would consider telling them earlier in the day so they have time to ask questions without P breathing down your neck. At end of day, when P comes in, just say whatever P wants you to.

They can’t fire you.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

New job
Old 12-18-2019, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Last year I taught 5th grade. I couldn’t stay at that school any longer. I finished out the year, but before the year was done, I took a job at a new school for this year. When students asked why I left, I just said, “Because I was offered a new job at such and such school”. Even at 5th grade they didn’t get I had to apply for and accept that job. They basically it was something that “happened to me”. I’m sure your kindergarteners won’t know any better either.

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-18-2019, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
I would consider telling them earlier in the day so they have time to ask questions without P breathing down your neck. At end of day, when P comes in, just say whatever P wants you to.

They can’t fire you
. I love that!

I left mid year one year. The p wrote the letter that went home to parents, but I told my students, and did it without her oversight. I did it matter of factly, telling them that I was working hard to ensure that their next teacher got the information they needed to make sure the rest of the year was a great year for them. They were sad, but I didn't let them dwell on it. We made the rest of the day fun and memorable.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

What to Say
Old 12-19-2019, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Tell them the truth. You got a new job and are leaving. Let them ask questions, and then cut off the discussion after a few minutes. Kids are resilient and will do just fine.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-19-2019, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I resigned yesterday and I'm telling the kids today. I'm just telling them that I got another job, which is the same thing I said in the note home to the parents.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Put that question back in the principal's lap
Old 12-19-2019, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Since the principal is micromanaging your resignation and how you are supposed to handle it, I would tell the principal that you are anticipating "why" questions from some of your students and how would she like you to respond to that? She is not making it easy for you, so there is certainly no need to make it easy for her.

I also would try telling her that you appreciate her "support", but you would like the last few minutes of your last day alone with your class. If you need her, I'm sure you can locate her. As others have said, what is she going to do at this point, fire you?

Good luck and congratulations on finding a new job that will hopefully be a better fit. Life is too short to be unhappy, and some administrators certainly are good at that part of their job, unfortunately.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote