Help

The VENT

Computers

>

ZeldaZonk

Computers
Old 02-10-2020, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Since our school got computers for all students in the fourth grade level, the kids don't want to do anything else. Getting them to actually work with a paper and pencil is torture. What do you teachers think about computers at this age, and how do you handle it? Our admin loves technology.

ZeldaZonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I teach MS/HS SpEd
Old 02-11-2020, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have had laptops for some time and use them for a variety of things from reading and writing and math to research and more.

They started asking to "listen to music" while completing paper/pencil tasks or program based learning. We discussed it, went over ground rules, defined school appropriate music, how to make a playlist, how long it should take to cue said list, etc.

I don't have Google Dashboard so I told them I would be watching them, spot checking their histories on youtube and in general, and testing them... No dice. It was awful. They piddled with the music, unrelated internet, etc all the time. Took forever tweaking their playlists and watching unrelated videos (not sexual, but gaming shortcuts, skateboard tricks, ATV/4 wheeler shows-whatev)

I found an extension called "Block Site" that allows blocking of specific websites on Chrome. I blocked youtube itself plus youtube music, youtube tv, etc. They were not sure if it was me or IT. I played dumb and asked about music/online choices. At least two said, "I might be the reason..."

We went over the rules again--definitions, examples, etc. I allowed Spotify as I thought it was just music, no video.

We were recently switched to Chromebooks instead. My Chrome extension Block Site didn't work as our school IT had disabled extensions on them. I went in individually and blocked youtube, youtubemusic and Spotify again yesterday.

They may eventually find other ways around me-I will need to stay on my toes...

So all that to say, it is a double edged sword. Used properly, it can be an amazing resource. It is the future of education and the world. BUT, it can also expose us to great liability--not all of the information available is appropriate--and no blocks or filters or whatever can catch it all when faced with resourceful kids and teens. It can also eat up already limited time, focus and energy. Time meant to be spent on education.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 02-11-2020, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We recently got 1 to 1 devices so I know we will be dealing with this kind of thing in the future.

I think a balance is important. I never write on paper, so I don't know why we should force kids to write on paper (lower elementary I do think is important to use pencil and paper) for writing. But paper can be used to plan things out, make webss and designs, drawings....

Music and work... We are dealing with that with our 5th graders. From what I can see, they spend more time playing with music/videos than the work. I would not allow it if it were me. In my lab, no one has asked about music yet. My answer will be no.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 02-11-2020, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I sub in six districts. All three of the “better districts” use technology very little in their classrooms. These three use technology to “keep up with the Jones’s” to say “yeah, we do that too.” Two other district use technology but not the 1 to 1 model. It seems to work for them but there are frequent uses of technology as a reward “take the kids to the computer lab, have them type their spelling words 5 times, print them. Free choice when they are done.”

The last district has a 1 to 1 model for iPads and getting students to stop using them is darn near impossible. Students walk between classes playing games and bumping into others, they refuse to do paper and pencil assignments. One teacher left me a paper and pencil math test. Students were incensed that it wasn’t online. One girl stood up and was screaming at me “why don’t you old people understand!? iPads were invented to do learning on, it’s our right to use them!”

I calmly replied that there was no online version of the test; paper and pencil only. She stormed out of the room throwing her (school provided) iPad in the trash as she exited. I rescued the iPad and turned it into the office the next period explaining how I came to have possession. That was the last day I subbed at that high school, my choice.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Our small district
Old 02-12-2020, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

...is one-to-one Chromebooks beginning in 6th grade. Students can only get on the internet by signing into the district web page. There are tons of blocked sites. Teachers have signs in their rooms indicating whether they are being used that day. If students arenít following directions or are not where they are supposed to be, teachers can take the Chromebooks to the office, where a parent must pick them up. This week, I subbed for 3 different middle school teachers. Today was the only day students used the Chromebooks.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote