Help

BusyBoard

Writing Distance Learning

>

Teacherbee_4

Writing Distance Learning
Old 03-18-2020, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For e-learning, what (if anything) are you assigning for writing, to keep kids writing during this time?

I'm planning on continuing mentor sentences during this time, just having them do it online.

I was thinking maybe having them do a journal prompt 2-3X per week...does anyone have any requirements you use for your journal or that you are using for distance learning journals? We are not supposed to grade what is done, so I wouldn't grade it, but I would like to have requirements/expectations in place, so they take it seriously.

Lastly, I was thinking of providing an OPTIONAL (totally optional) writing project...like a fiction story, a sequel to a book they read, etc.

I teach 4th grade.

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 03-18-2020, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm doing a variety of assigned writing tasks. They all brought home a hand-made decorated journal we made the last day we were altogether.

1) I'm having them write about their spring break (we are on break this week). I will have expectations...topic sentence, capitals, periods, etc.

2) I'm sending them each a postcard (I collect postcards). I'm going to have them do research on the area featured on their postcard. The postcard will be glued into their journals and they'll write facts they learned underneath. IF we return to school, we'll share. Again, I'll have specific expectations outlined.

3) On that last day, they each started their own Google Slides presentation on a topic of their choice. I'm going to ask that they continually work on that, and if they finish, they begin another.

4) I have some plans for some Spring writing, but I know it won't be as effective since I'm not there to teach/brainstorm with them. But, that's ok.

I have some other ideas, but no matter what idea I throw out there, I will include specific requirements. Otherwise, all they will write is a sentence or 2.

I teach 2nd, btw.

I realize it will be up to the parents to ensure the expectations are met, but at least I'm doing my part to keep them writing.

Last edited by eliza4one; 03-18-2020 at 03:00 PM..
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

owl98

Old 03-18-2020, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I bought some video writing prompts that looked fun on tpt. I assigned them as an option.
I donít really have any requirements. I do respond to their writing and ask questions or point out a really good part in their writing.
owl98 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

One idea...
Old 03-19-2020, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One suggestion I saw was to revive pen-paling and have the kids write letters to each other, a family member or maybe even the teacher. That might accomplish several things...
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 03-19-2020, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

MaineSub~I was just thinking about our penpals in MI and how our writing to them is likely done for the year. Made me sad.

eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

I teach HS SpEd
Old 03-19-2020, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had each open a Google Slides ppt on their drive AS a journal. Each slide is a different day. I will not expect a slide every day.

Since they are all shared with me, I can respond back on the same document to ask (or answer) questions, add story starters, suggest journal topics, send or collect messages, etc.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Video Links
Old 03-19-2020, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I bought some video writing prompts that looked fun on tpt.
Would you mind directing me to the TPT product you are talking about? Sounds great!

owl98

Actually...
Old 03-19-2020, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Lol, after you asked for the name of the resource I searched for it. Then I realized I got the idea from TPT, then I searched for free resources. I used google slides, made a title slide, put the prompts on the second slide and then the video on the third slide. I like Goodenough85ís idea of adding a space to write within the slide.
Here is the website I used to create it:
https://twowritingteachers.org/2013/...vacation-days/

Hope this helps!
owl98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2020, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks! Fun!