Subs 50,60,70 +will return to....

>

NorCalJan

NorCalJan

Subs 50,60,70 +will return to....
Old 03-29-2020, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Fellow Subs,
I am 60+ and working in this field for 30+ years. Question, if an arbitrary date is given to go back this school year, will you feel that it is safe to do so. I personally do not trust that anyone can say that the students will be clear of all corona 19 symptoms. What I have learned, and you all as well, that there are people who can be infected and not show any symptoms.

Sirsubalot

Old 03-29-2020, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Most So Cal schools still have May 5 as the target return date, but this is unlikely since this cursed virus is not even supposed to peak for another three weeks.

I am planning on returning in August. The chances of any schools opening again this school year is very slim.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

California
Old 03-29-2020, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If I was over 60 or underlying condition I might feel that way.

I'm not worried about getting it, at all.

Last edited by bodhimom; 03-29-2020 at 03:23 PM..
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-29-2020, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wouldn’t worry about it till may. They are canceling concerts and other public gatherings in my area into June and July now. I’d say we will probably be like this into the summer, if not fall. We are just starting in on all this.

Personally, if I was in a high risk group I wouldn’t go back to a place like a school as they really can’t keep it clean.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 03-29-2020, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am wondering if I already had the virus.

My last day of school on March 13, I started to get sick with a cough, and then had to walk 20 minutes in the rain to get to the junior high office since I shared a PE office with the high school, and all the gates to the connected school were locked. I had to walk around the block just to get my time sheet.

By 3:30 at home, I also had a stuffy headache, and by Sunday I had a 101 fever, that didn't last long.

What made me most suspicious however, were the body aches, which I never had before, that effected my lower to middle back and my waist, and were quite painful.
I was back to normal five days later.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote
With you

With you

Old 03-29-2020, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Decided to sign out, but like NorCalJan, I have very similar concerns. Like Sirsubalot, I picked up something a couple weeks ago from coughing and sneezing students (there were plenty), and have been sick for the last two weeks. My doctor doesn't think it's COVID-19, and I'm feeling better, but this darn thing doesn't want to go away.

I'm 65 and have been in education for a long time, and I'm sure my immunity isn't what it once was. It it time to call it quits? Maybe.

luv2teach2017

All ages are affected
Old 03-29-2020, 08:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

People of all ages are getting sick and even dying. And men are more prone than women. Even if you don't get sick, you could easily get infected and infect others.

Schools are a breeding ground for contagions. (As we all know so well.). I don't think schools should reopen until the danger has passed, for everyone's protection.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

It depends...
Old 03-30-2020, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I believe this is a risk management issue and a personal decision (unless the decision is made for us by government order). I am classified high risk - not for catching it but for dying if I do. I have said from the beginning that I will not be placid or paranoid but I will be prudent. I refuse to live in constant crippling fear. I don't know how to make a decision in the future but I would probably be more inclined to return than many. I have considered volunteering to assist with meal and packet delivery--but we're in a rural area and have not yet had a confirmed case in our county.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Squarespace

Squarespace

Jobs?
Old 03-30-2020, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've applied as a regular teacher to a few schools for next year. Who knows when it will be okay to live life normally again.

I think it's pretty much over for this school year as far as subbing is concerned.

I have applied to many jobs in retail and outside of education. If COVID 19 is so bad, then I imagine working with the public in grocery or hardware stores can't be any safer.

I might be better off staying in my apartment for the next couple of weeks, riding out the worst part of this virus before I start working outside again.

I think I am going to try to sell things online and do my own thing. This might be the best time to try it out. I just want to be self reliant, so if this thing happens again, the blow might not be as bad financially.

NJSubteacher

Dont Be Debbie Downers
Old 03-31-2020, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Folks, I honestly think this virus will not last until the summer. Some positive facts we already know (if you pay attention to world news): China and S. Korea are already reopening their schools and the virus has subsided in those countries. It got bad there at the end of January, and it is now end of March and life there is returning to normal. Furthermore, even Italy appears to have peaked and on the other side of the curve now and starting to recover. Italy has been about 2 weeks ahead of us. Following these models, it would potentially subside here by mid May.

NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-31-2020, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

China didn’t let people leave their houses at all. They had to get food delivered. South Korea had lots of testing. Those places weren’t run by idiots unlike our country. The gov of Florida just issued a stay in place order after weeks of refusing to budge. This is going to take months to get through. And people in Wuhan are testing positive after testing negative several times as the testing equipment has been shown to not be perfect. People are getting sick that already had the virus.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-31-2020, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I applied for a teaching job next year, too. I wish I knew if I got it because I could be working in that.

I think there are going to be less subs next year because subs are reaching out to try other jobs that they might end up liking better.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

northcalsub

Old 03-31-2020, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I agree with the fact that there maybe a sub shortage even worse than before the crisis. Friday the 13th was our last day, and in the school I worked there were 6 absences I knew of, one being a kinder teacher who had to go home in the morning.The coverage was difficult at best. We have over 19 schools in our district. I will be much more picky next school year if I have any concerns. We all are aware of the many parents who send children to school sick.
northcalsub is offline   Reply With Quote