Schools are absolutely closed for the rest of the year? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Schools are absolutely closed for the rest of the year?

>

bagano1

Schools are absolutely closed for the rest of the year?
Old 04-13-2020, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our governor declared they were closed for face-to-face instruction for the rest of the year, but I noticed a stipulation saying an exception would be made if restrictions were lifted.

So does that mean there's a chance?? !

I am so lucky to be in a long-term job. Apparently, I'm getting paid for the rest of the year, hopefully it all works out. So I'm fortunate unlike some other subs on here who are on unemployment or fighting for it.

I really do hope school opens up and the year can be finished for the sake of many on here. I have to do remote learning in a field I'm not familiar with, so that should be fun. I have no idea what to expect. I have a principal that talks to me like I'm experienced in this field, which makes this worse. I'm just hoping I survive until June. Hopefully, they find a replacement, but if I had to come back, at least I know what I'm doing, so it wouldn't be a total ambush like last year.

bagano1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Old 04-13-2020, 10:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
So does that mean there's a chance??
My district in Cali is closed for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year for face-to face instruction, schools will be on remote instruction. I believe all CA school are as well. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't start the school year in early August (like we normally do). We will see...

Quote:
So I'm fortunate unlike some other subs on here who are on unemployment or fighting for it.
Yes, you are very fortunate to have a long term teaching assignment and to have that added teaching experience to add to your resume! One of the lucky few, my long term got cancelled. There is always next year.

Yes, subs might be struggling to start the claim process for UI- but they will get there.
Trust me, most of us are in for a nice financial relief surprise. We work so hard inside those classrooms day in and day out..all year, (some have been subbing for decades). I think we will make the most of our shelter time to do some much needed Self-care.
Good luck to you, and I hope that this teaching experience brings you that much closer to your professional goals!!
Sweetsunset is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Governors = Politicians
Old 04-14-2020, 03:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here in Maine, we're being told the same thing... I suppose it makes sense but I think it's called "hedging our bets." Personally, I don't want to take a bet on this one but I believe anything is possible. I would love to see us get back for a lot of reasons... and I think that's a change that could happen quickly.

Something a bit unrelated is a question about what role substitutes might play, if any, in the current situation, particularly if we are in this for the long haul. That might be a separate topic... but your situation does point out that teacher absences are still going to be a factor.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 04-14-2020, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We haven't closed for in-person instruction yet. However, our first day we could be back would be May 4th, and our last day for students is May 14th. I don't see us having kids back for instruction. At some point we would need to get kids to clean out their lockers.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

broad

lots of sub jobs
Old 04-14-2020, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If they allow school to go back too soon, I think a lot of teachers will be afraid and put in for subs.

Here in Florida I don't think schools will resume until January - I could be wrong!

broad is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Old 04-14-2020, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

From the California EDD..

..question:
"The offer I received from a school employer for the next year or term depends on sufficient enrollment, funding, or changes in the program. Will I be eligible to receive benefits during the recess period regardless of my classification?"

..answer...
"Yes. If the offer of work depends on sufficient funding or enrollment, you are not considered to have reasonable assurance for the next school year or term.

You are eligible for benefits as long as you meet all other eligibility requirements, whether you are a professional, nonprofessional, or school supportive employee (of a public or nonprofit school)."
-------------------------

We might possibly get UE for the summer time. Adjunct professors in community colleges do if they have classes lined up for the next semester as they do not have a guaranteed it will fill. Perhaps this is special enough with not knowing how the schools will open, that UE will last through summer., if you send in forms and continue looking for work, follow the rules.????
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 04-15-2020, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That would be great if it were the case, regarding unemployment pay during the summer. If they actually send me a "reasonable assurance of employment" letter when they don't even know if they'll be OPEN in August, I'll probably just laugh and apply anyway.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote