Help

The VENT

Instructions

>

Claire

Instructions
Old 04-14-2020, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Every assignment on google classroom has instructions. I include everything necessary (like where the text is located) and very clearly label everything I post. My link for the book is labeled ¨Esperanza Rising Text and Audio¨.

So for my introduction lesson and quiz this week, the directions say ¨Use the attachment I provided first in this topic for Esperanza Rising. Open the link and then click on ¨Index¨. Go to the introduction ¨Aguasclaientes, Mexico 1924¨. Read the introduction carefully. Then complete the quiz.

How many comments have I gotten saying ¨Where can I find the story?¨ ¨How do I read the story?¨

This has been going on this whole last 3 weeks. For the love of everything, please read the instructions.....

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Right?!?!?
Old 04-14-2020, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm with you!

I understand this is a stressful time and a new way of learning and that because of that, there are going to be some questions or confusion. However, I think some kids are taking advantage of it!

I do the same thing you do. I post a checklist with all assignments by subject. Then, my classwork page on Google Classroom is divided into subjects. For each assignment, I post the name, matching exactly what it says on the checklist, along with the date it was assigned. Then, I have very clear directions.

Last week, I found a cool resource for religion and I wanted to show my students how to use it and then have them do something on it. I created a short video to show them how to use it and then they had their assignment. Under the assignment, I clearly labeled and posted the video, clearly labeled and posted the link to the website with the assignment, and clearly posted directions of what to do. The first direction was to watch video called "video directionsDATE. It was included right in that assignment and labeled "video directionsDATE" Two students posted they couldn't find the video and because of that, weren't doing the assignment! And, we can't grade anything, so they basically got away with it! I marked it missing on our online grade book (I just do missing or completed for each assignment) and explained the situation in the notes, but seriously. The balls to do that. Yup, can't find it, so I'm not doing it.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Another one...
Old 04-14-2020, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach 4th grade.

My teaching partner got an e-mail from a parent saying her son couldn't complete any of the online work because he couldn't read the directions. Now, this kid is a little lower and does have an IEP, but he can read directions, especially a direction that says, "Open your math book to page 145 and do problems 1-10. Then take a picture and send it to me". Like seriously? If he can't read that, then we have some serious issues. How did he make it this far? Or, I have an idea, if he truly can't read it (which he can), mom, why don't you read it to him? My teaching partner explained that she has a video each day where she orally explains every assignment. Mom said that was hard for him, too, because he can't see what the other students are doing. Seriously?

Glad she has this kid for just this year, mom's stuck with him for life!

Glad I don't have him!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Ugh..
Old 04-14-2020, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I feel your pain!!! I am so tired of the "I/We can't find.." from my students and parents!!!! It has gotten to the point that even my husband knows the answer, 'It's on the hyperdoc!!!!' Everything!! All the instructions and all the links - everything in one place. All they have to do is find the one for the correct week. I have started writing in bold, all caps, and highlighting everything. I don't even write an answer to that question any longer I just take a screenshot of THE HYPERDOC and send it to them as my answer.
eagles23 is online now   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Instructions
Old 04-14-2020, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes! I get a lot of that! Then I realized it’s the virtual version of me carefully explaining instructions step by step, asking what questions they have, and having five kids raise their hand to ask “so what do we do?”....on repeat forever.

So, I tried this with more success. I created a google document checklist for the duration of a “unit.” I put everything in it separated by day, with links to all materials for each day. Yes, I linked the story forty-two times. But! I only got three e-mails about questions the rest of the week, and they were from the kids who, quite frankly, won’t do it anyway.

This is just rough for everyone. We can’t discuss personal responsibility or tell students to go back and reread or say things like “I already explained it 3 times AND it’s on the board, go ask a friend who was listening,” because it’s all online! Our frustration is manifesting itself in different ways and this is one of them!

MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Hawkeyegirl1

Omg
Old 04-14-2020, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is just truth! I'm glad I'm not the only one going through it!
Hawkeyegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

I feel your pain...
Old 04-14-2020, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yep. My students have their books at home. One emailed me the other day about a (late) assignment. "I need to answer my reading comprehension questions, but I can't find the story." (Insert face palm here.) What I wanted to tell him was "Really, online or not, we've been doing this all year. It's in your literature book." What I told him was to go online, scroll up to the assignment where he had to read the story, and that the page numbers would be listed there.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 04-14-2020, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

All.the.time!!!!
4th grade. Kids and sometimes parents.
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 04-14-2020, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Then, I have the friends that decided to start their work 3 weeks late (not due to not having tech or whatever...it´s like they just woke up and found out we were having school after the 5,000 messages that have been sent) and they are now asking me ALL the same questions as I had to answer the first few days...

omg. I just told them to scroll all the way back to the first part of the stream and all the questions were answered there.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

Luvetc3

Old 04-14-2020, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I posted a 6 sentence message this morning. In line 3 I said, "There will not be a hangout today." The first message I got was, "Do we have a hangout today?" I did not answer it.

Luvetc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Upload, upload, upload
Old 04-14-2020, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have a couple of students who email to ask " Can you send me today's work?" Every. Single. Day. This is week 5 for us! I send all work through email to parents and students with "lesson plans for weeks#-# every two weeks."

One kid stopped doing work. Then he wanted ALL the work again. Ok. I sent it to him. Next day...email says, I need all my work. I said I sent it yesterday, but still uploaded everything again. Today, I get email, send today's work. I did, but I asked about ALL the other work I send that he hadn't done. We are grading as usual at this point but will likely give pass/fail grades for this term. I just hopped on to look for one email I said I'd look for...now mom is emailing. I didn't open it...it can wait!
sbslab is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-15-2020, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

It's not just the kids, either. I'm in kinder so the parents have to do the bulk of the "work" when it comes to accessing things. I can't tell you how many times we've explained that they have to use their student email to access google classroom, and how to do it, and how to switch emails to get access, etc. Yet every day someone asks why they don't have access...
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote