Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

AARP Medicare Advantage or Supplement

>

Eagle 126

AARP Medicare Advantage or Supplement
Old 04-15-2020, 02:38 PM

Does anyone have AARP Medicare insurance? People seem to feel strongly about Advantage vs Supplement. Since you can't see into the future, do you choose the plan that you feel may be right for you today and see how it goes? There doesn't seem to be one right answer. That just makes it harder to choose!

Eagle 126 is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 04-15-2020, 02:57 PM

It is hard to choose and (you are correct) there is no one right answer.

If this were normal times, I'd say to go to all the meeting you can, listen, and ask lots of questions. But....

So my recommendation is to think about where you live. Does the plan cover your doctor and the hospital you would likely use?

And while you can change plans yearly during open enrollment, some supplements may require a physical and/or charge a higher rate if you don't choose their plan when first eligible.

As to the AARP plan, a friend has it and is happy with it. The caveat is that she has no serious health conditions and has had no serious illnesses.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Barb/Ohio

AARP ~ United Health Care
Old 04-15-2020, 04:52 PM

I will start Medicare insurance May 1. I went with the AARP United Health Care supplement. I attended a free presentation that explained everything you ever wanted to know about Medicare and medical insurance options. I then worked with an adviser and that helped me make my final decision. It can be overwhelming for sure.
Barb/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote