Help

BusyBoard

Tech not working for me, help!!!!

>

Riding4Him

Tech not working for me, help!!!!
Old 04-29-2020, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm not the best with technology but I am willing to learn. So the short of it, I live in a rural area so my internet is not fast. I started remote learning recording videos in an empty classroom and then loading them onto Facebook (we have a page for each class so we stayed with the same platform for parents). I started each day with a Live FB for opening and Bible (private school) then I loaded the subject videos for the day. Now I'm home and it was taking 3+ hours for videos to load. I was driving back to the school parking lot just to load videos, I said enough. Now I'm doing everything live on FB then posting for the kids that miss it. So the last few days my Live videos are freezing and then not posting with integrity. Some of my parents are asking me to go back to the original method but I don't want to sit in parking lots for hours again to load videos. I'm trying YouTube but it is still a long time to load videos. Anything I'm missing that I can do?

Riding4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-29-2020, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't think there are any tricks that are going to help a slow internet. Many of us are dealing with that. You could check with your carrier and see if they are doing anything to provide quicker uploads.

Make sure you keep your videos short as you can. You might want to break them into smaller bits so they can upload easier. Make sure you are lowering the quality so they aren't as big.

I haven't tried anything on facebook video.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 04-29-2020, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How is your cell service? Could you use your phone as a hotspot? I am not very techy either, but I use my phone when traveling in the car if I need to work on my computer or let my DGS watch a movie. I don't know if that would help load your videos any better or not, but it might be worth a shot!
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 04-30-2020, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Nothing will help with that. The service, Facebook vs YouTube won’t change anything.

You will either need to upgrade your internet or call your cell provider about getting a hot spot. Videos take a long time to load even with good internet. I get up early to make and post videos because even though we have good internet if my kids are all gaming or streaming my 5 minute video with take an hour to upload. If no one else is up and using bandwidth I can get them to post in about 15 minutes.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Don't give up!
Old 05-01-2020, 03:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I too live in a rural area with crappy cell service and feel your pain. Don't give up. It can be a long slow process (like uploading videos) but there are some things you can do... and some are surprising. I'm no guru, but a couple of things I've learned:

Facebook is a data hog--avoid it when you can. When I have Zoom meetings, I tell others to close ALL applications--especially Facebook. Also, when you are uploading make sure the rest of the family is offline. You may also find that there are certain times of the day when usage is low--my service at home used to be better during school hours but would degrade after school when the kids got home and went online to play computer games and chat on social media.

Don't record your videos in high definition--that creates bigger file size. It's hard to be specific on some of this stuff because the "how" will depend on what software you are using. Just keep thinking about how to decrease file size and increase bandwidth.

I have a wireless set up between my router and PC. A wifi extender improved performance big time... and just recently (why didn't I think of this before?!!) I discovered a $20 USB antenna I could plug into my PC to boost receipt of the signal. More improvement! No, you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, but you can be a little creative and try things.

If you have an IT person in your school, ask him or her for suggestions. If you can stand it, hang out on some "technical" forums and find a friend! There's no one bit things you can do but there are some little ones!

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Riding4Him

Thanks everyone
Old 05-01-2020, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did see that I was recording in high resolution, so thanks for that tip. I did get permission to go into my classroom to load videos for the week. I recorded 12 videos yesterday and then loaded them at school for about 1 1/2, a lot better than home for sure. I scheduled them out on Facebook so I can just link to the day's lessons without confusing my kids. Of coarse the parent that was the chief complaining thanked me and then in the same sentence asked if we could do a zoom meeting for reading every Friday, grrrr. I am doing Zoom 1 -2 times a week for reading groups and for 3rd graders I'm happy with that. I am planning to try some fun activities later this month on Zoom but not every Friday.
Riding4Him is offline   Reply With Quote