Help

Special Education

Phrase for progress reports??

>

Lottalove

Phrase for progress reports??
Old 05-13-2020, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone been given good example texts for noting their school closure (due to CV-19) on the 4th quarter progress reports?

My Director gave some general terms during a conversation but it was just random suggestions given verbally--my fault-I cannot really remember the specifics...

Any help? TIA

Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

sped91

From my director:
Old 05-13-2020, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If progress monitoring can be accomplished through electronic means, you should collect progress monitoring data, but note any factors that you think may be impacting the student’s progress (i.e., use of remote technology, additional stress or anxiety the student may be experiencing, etc.). If you are unable to collect progress monitoring data, record this in writing and note why this information is unable to be collected at this time. It is likely that the goal(s) impacted will simply be continued when schools re-open and progress monitoring resumes in the normal course. You can also add the following statement (if necessary), however, I would caution that this should be paired with any data you do have about the student's performance:

“Due to state wide school closures, we were unable to collect additional specific data towards this goal. The student’s progress on this goal will be reassessed once schools are back in session.”
sped91 is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 05-13-2020, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I’m waiting for language for progress reports from our special ed dept. They want us all using the same language and I’m happy not to have think it up!
WalkDontRun is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-13-2020, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We didn't get a ton of guidance. I did get this statement approved by my director for students who didn't participate in online learning at all:

"Special education services were offered to (student) daily during remote learning. However, he/she did not participate in these. Therefore, no data was obtained for this goal."

We were also instructed to collect progress monitoring data, but it was really difficult for most goals. I did try and documented each attempt in my service log. Then I was having an ethical dilemma because most students did regress on things like fluency- they're just not getting anywhere near the practice they would at school. But if they turned in every assignment and I put "insufficient progress made," will their parents be motivated to do the work with them in the future if we do this again? That's also not fair to have specific data and "insufficient progress" for the few that turned progress monitoring probes in whereas everyone else would just have general comments because I don't have specific data.

So my team decided that if they did participate in online learning, we will put "progress made" and put general statements about strengths and weaknesses related to the goals. So for a reading fluency goal, I put something like: "Johnny has continued to practice his reading skills via remote learning this quarter. Johnny is able to accurately and fluently read words that follow basic phonics patterns, such as consonant-vowel-consonant words and words with consonant blends and digraphs. Johnny's next step is to learn and recognize more complex phonics patterns so that he can read higher level words."

I could see this not working in a district where someone in the district office is reviewing these with a fine tooth comb, but in my district no one ever looks at our paperwork anyway.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

readandweep

phrase
Old 05-14-2020, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We got a long, specific phrase from the state board of ed about kids who did not engage.

I can message it to you if you want.

I may just use it for everyone, even the kids that did do work, as there no way to assess or even show growth.

readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Thank you all.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think I can get together a good message from your input. I was just struggling to find the words.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

d0rkablex2

Old 05-15-2020, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our admin told us this in an email today:

Progress Monitoring: for the upcoming progress reports, please use the language below. Remember that data collected before we closed should be reported on to the best of your ability. However, ALL progress reports should include the following statement:

“Due to school closings and the unprecedented disruption caused by COVID-19, and the directives of OCR, progress reporting data based on the current IEP was suspended as of March 13. Upon schools reopening, updated progress monitoring data will be collected.”
d0rkablex2 is offline   Reply With Quote