Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

I need help.

>

Queenie Peavy

I need help.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:45 PM

I am feeling so discouraged and my anxiety level is so high. (I have posted a more detailed post on the Christ Followers group page.)

I really wish the Addiction Support group wasn't closed. I need that group right now. There is not a single Al-Anon group anywhere near me. I haven't even been able to find a therapist near me. (I live in a very rural community.) Does anyone know where I can reach out for help? I am so worried for my son. I don't know what to do or where to turn.

Prayers are greatly appreciated.
Queenie

Queenie Peavy is offline   Reply With Quote

Luvetc3

I'm sorry
Old 05-28-2020, 09:05 PM

I do not have advice for where to look for help, but please know I am praying for you and your son right now.
Luvetc3 is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 05-28-2020, 09:16 PM

I'm so sorry. I do therapy through an online platform BetterHelp. It's worked really well for me. With my particular counselor, I message her even on a daily basis (though you don't have to do it that often), and she'll write back every weekday. Then, when I had days off, or in this case of working from home it's been more frequent, I'm able to do video sessions with her. Phone call sessions are also an option. Different therapists may offer different things, but many offer all 3 options (message, phone, video). It was great for me schedule wise as I didn't have to find a therapist who worked evenings.

Changing therapists, if someone you're matched with isn't a good fit for you, is also super easy, and you don't even have to say anything to the therapist about it, which can be nice.

The downside is that BetterHelp doesn't accept health insurance, so it can be a bit pricey. There are options to apply for a reduced cost (it's super easy to apply, but you have to do it each billing cycle).

Feel free to message me if you want more information, or a referral link. I know there are other online therapy sites too.

I really hope you can find some help and support in whatever manner works best for you. We're here for you too. ((hugs))
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tulips

Prayers said
Old 05-28-2020, 09:17 PM

I'm not able to help you, but I am praying for both of you. Sorry you are going through this tough time.
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Online meetings are offered
Old 05-28-2020, 09:18 PM

https://al-anon.org/al-anon-meetings/

Hope that link helps.

I will also be praying for you and your son.

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Risa

Prayers
Old 05-28-2020, 11:33 PM

I'm so sorry! I can almost hear the desperation in the words you've written, I've already begun to pray that you'll be able to find some sort of help from within the resources offered here and that you'll also find suggestions to help you lower your own anxiety levels in these trying times.

I went to read your more detailed post on the group board and can only imagine the hurt and worry you must feel for your son. I'm glad you've reached out asking for our prayers. I pray fervently that somehow he will be able to hang on to be within that 20% group who is able to stay clean after his rehab. My heart and my prayers are with you.
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 05-29-2020, 01:25 AM

My friend and co-worker has been attending AA and Al-Anon meetings via Zoom. I wish I could be of more help. Prayers are being sent for you and your son.
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

noonespecial

Old 05-29-2020, 01:36 AM

I am so very sorry you are feeling discouraged and can’t find the support you need. Please call or go online to the places that pp suggested. There is also The Addicts Mom group online where you can get some support.

Addiction is a very difficult road to travel. Most addicts go to rehab an average of 5 times and that is not always successful. Unfortunately, not all rehabs are the same. Is there any way he would agree to go to sober living? That, coupled with rehab, has been the most successful.

Brandon can go to outpatient therapy if he wants to go home and work. He should definitely commit to daily Meetings somewhere, but with the pandemic I don’t know what’s available.

There is always the issue of payment which is so expensive unless he has good insurance. This is so wrong in our country.

I am sorry Brandon wasn’t interested in the book you sent him at this time. Sometimes addicts take their pain out on those they love the most. It doesn’t make any sense, but it happens a lot. I pray that Brandon will come to realize that you only want what is best for him and your intention was filled with encouragement and love.

I am sending prayers for strength, guidance, and peace. I am also sending you mama hugs, because I know the pain and worry you are feeling.

Last edited by noonespecial; 05-29-2020 at 01:57 AM..
noonespecial is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Aa
Old 05-29-2020, 02:19 AM

My family has been utilizing the youtube videos from AA. It's inspirational and sometimes there are even famous people speaking, so it adds a different spin on the sessions. We listened to Anthony Hopkins one Sunday morning.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

emeraldcity

Old 05-29-2020, 03:24 AM

Oh, Linda you triggered a wonderful memory for me.
On YouTube there is a priest (Father Martin?) that has these wonderful old school "chalkboard lectures."
I LOVED them.
Linda, I didn't know there were actual Al Anon videos on YouTube. I will have to take a look.

Dorothy

emeraldcity is offline   Reply With Quote

Funnystory

Old 05-29-2020, 04:46 AM

We were given a mental health hotline that is monitored 24 hours a day during Covid, but it might be just for Texas (not sure what state you are in) but (833) 986- 1919. Surely they could at least give you your local state mental health number and then hopefully you could trickle down to get to more local resources. Itís worth a shot. Or maybe google your state and Covid mental health support and go from there until you can get some addiction support group info. Good luck was a hard time to be alone without the support you need. Iím so sorry!
Funnystory is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Support
Old 05-29-2020, 04:46 AM

Iím so sorry you are struggling. Iím happy you are reaching out to PT. There are so many kind and knowledgeable people on this site.

Where I work we have a hotline connected to our health insurance. They will talk to you on the phone to help you until they can find an in person situation for you. They are a wonderful resource for issues ranging from medical to legal help. Is there any chance you have something like that through your employer?
Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Queenie Peavy
Old 05-29-2020, 05:27 AM

So, so sorry you feel this way. Could you start with your regular physician to find some ideas about who you could turn to? I have a friend who is a holistic counselor and all her clients see her on line now. Even if there is no one in your area, you could probably reach someone by phone or FaceTime to help you. Good luck with your search. I know our little state has free telephone counselors for those who are feeling overwhelmed. Check with your health department and see if they offer this service. Love and hugs to you...
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 05-29-2020, 06:43 AM

Queenie I'm praying now for you and your son. May you both find the help needed to live your very best lives. My heart aches for you both. Praying that God guides you through this stormy time and on to a smoother path.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Queenie
Old 05-29-2020, 08:31 AM

Praying for you and your family. Check out NAMI.com. They were a great help to my family as we dealt with DS. If they don't have groups nearby, they have online support. Services are free of charge.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

read2day

Old 05-29-2020, 08:50 AM

It warms my heart to see you get several suggestions on where to look for help. You can count on my prayers.
read2day is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Prayers
Old 05-29-2020, 09:17 AM

You have received good advice from other posters.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 05-29-2020, 06:47 PM

Sending prayers for your DS and family.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote