Help

Retired Teachers

How does your garden grow?

>

lisa53

How does your garden grow?
Old 06-07-2020, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know Ed is already in full freezing and canning mode....but here, we have only harvested asparagus and rhubarb so far. Yankee wisdom says not to plant till Memorial Day (and they mean the old school May 31 date). Unless you have a greenhouse or cold frame, there’s not even lettuce till mid June. We actually had snow on May 9...Mother Nature doesn’t kid around here!

How is your garden doing? Please share!

So today is my first early harvest! Here’s a pic:

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Garden
Old 06-07-2020, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We just have tomatoes, summer squash, and zuchnini. No blossoms yet. We waited until end of May to plant
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

garden
Old 06-07-2020, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am lucky that I can garden year-round.

I harvested two radishes today. No photo because I washed and ate them right away. I now also have four small garlic bulbs that are hanging out to dry. I learned that I should have planted only large garlic cloves since small ones produce small bulbs.
The red kale and the Tuscan kale are coming up, as are the collard greens. Incredibly, last year's plant with super hot chiles has continued to produce throughout the "winter" and is now again flowering. I had no idea it was a perennial.
I finally learned how to grow basil from seed. It's taken years of utter failure. I will be able to harvest some for spaghetti next week.
I want to add that all these crops are in a make-shift box of concrete bricks and wood, and measures about 3' x 5'.
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 06-07-2020, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The only things I have harvested so far are parsley and a few sprigs of basil :. Here is the parsley. Click image for larger version

Name:	31B268FE-8150-4056-A0E8-B80C00DA313E.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	87962

I used both parsley and the basil in some creamy asparagus soup I made for supper. YUM! The asparagus was from my sister’s garden. I just have parsley, basil, mint,tomatoes, and peppers— just a couple of each. Tomatoes and peppers are nowhere near ready.
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Cold climate
Old 06-07-2020, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We are on the high end of Zone 3/low end of Zone 4.

I put in my young squash plants last week, the peas, lettuce, carrots, beans, rutabagas, and daikon radishes are peeking out of the soil. The raspberries have gotten a good start but nowhere near blooming. I’ve given up on tomatoes as they need too much pampering for my liking due to our short season.

And we are expecting a freeze the next 2 nights, so out to the garden we go to cover the crops.

Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 06-07-2020, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm harvesting strawberries, romaine, butterball lettuce, and turnips. The peas are potatoes are getting close.

All the others are just needing time to grow.
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 06-08-2020, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Been harvesting some jalapeños and cherry tomatoes. We have large tomatoes and cucumbers on the plants/vines but not ready yet. Same with radishes and green beans. Also have a variety of squash/zucchini plants growing. My lettuce did not come up as I had older seed so got some new seed and will plant this morning.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Garden
Old 06-08-2020, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have a raised garden thanks to our grown kids for Mother’s Day. Lettuce, Swiss chard and spinach are growing fast. Also have some tomatoes in pots but still too small to pick.

Usually we take trip in summer but will be home to take care of our plants this year. Had great salad already!

We are in central NJ
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

garden
Old 06-08-2020, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We put so much into planting and then within a day or 2, the cucumber beetles ate the leaves or at least damaged many leaves of not only cukes, but zucchini and pumpkins too! I did use some Sevin (which I hate doing!) But hopefully they will bounce back.

We have had some healthy spinach basil, cilantro and onions in our salads though.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Harvest
Old 06-08-2020, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We’ve been getting a salad of arugula, chard and peas every 3 nights or so. It will be a few days and we will have 5 assorted squash. The beans are flowering and the broccoli rabe is coming along, but will be awhile. We only did cherry tomatoes this year and they are setting nicely and we should have a handful ripe by the weekend.

Gardening has been great for social distancing... DH spends a lot of time conversing with his garden.

luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 06-08-2020, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Banana peppers and strawberries are beginning to ripen. Tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplants and bell peppers still are a long way off.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re: garden 2020
Old 06-10-2020, 02:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Good morning to all-

Well, we are entering our "dead zone" for gardening here on the Gulf Coast. In summer, we don't grow so very much because of the conditions.
We picked some very nice tomatoes earlier- and we ate some super good gazpacho and bruchetta, and even dried a few sliced tomatoes. But our 'mater season is over. with Tropical Storm Christobal dumping about a foot of rain on us over the past 3 days, all of our tomatoes just overfill with water and simply explode. It's pretty nasty. A bug- usually a stinkbug- bites the just getting ripe 'mater and then it rots and turns to mush. We pick any 'maters which show any color of ripening and bring them inside- some go ahead and ripen and some just rot.
We did fine with green beans, but with the heavy rain, I haven't been able to pick.
We have picked some good bell peppers- we don't do hot peppers. And the okra is looking quite promising.
Our summer squash is gone- borers get in the vines and that's that. Our winter squash made quite well, though.
We've picked a lot of nice blueberries, and the blackberries made a bunch this year.
So, I'm clearing spring/early summer plantings and tilling up- when the rain lets me- to get ready for fall planting- when we usually grow quite a lot of food.

good day to all- stay safe-keep well-
Ed
EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote