Anything to Prevent Shrinkage of Clothing in the Dryer? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Anything to Prevent Shrinkage of Clothing in the Dryer?

>

MAsped

Anything to Prevent Shrinkage of Clothing in the Dryer?
Old 06-23-2020, 08:52 AM

Other than washing in cold water, using Woolite, drying on LOW heat, etc., are there any other solutions to prevent clothing shrinkage? Is there a product I can buy or some remedy, etc.? I have a cheap washer & dryer that my apt complex already gave everyone in each unit, but it shrinks my clothing, depending on the fabric. I have way too many clothes to air dry everything. TIA!

MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-23-2020, 09:04 AM

Some fabrics just shrink. Rayon is the worst. It will shrink so easy.

Cotton is also bad to shrink.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 06-23-2020, 09:06 AM

Iíve found that most of my clothes shrinkage comes from the refrigerator rather than the dryer.

We dry everything on low heat or no heat. It takes longer but it is easier on clothes.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 06-23-2020, 09:29 AM

I agree about rayon and cotton and shrinking. I always hang those tops to air-dry,, but I have a laundry area in my bathroom with a clothes rod, so I have the space.

My other issue is denim material that shrinks in length. I give them a good stretch before I put them in the dryer, then I half dry them, then stretch them again, and hang them to finish drying.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

LOL. Same here
Old 06-23-2020, 09:38 AM

Soo, I still air dry.

I am also very tall and things will shrink in length more noticeably than width for me. Plus, most of my clothes are black or dark purple so I air dry to prevent that "fading" outer layer that often happens with dark clothes.

I bought an Amish drying rack. Well, I bought a drying rack. I bought it from an Amish store and was able to pick the size. It is built with actual Ash hardwood and is quite large when unfolded. I can air dry an entire load of clothes at once with it.

https://www.wayfair.com/storage-orga...k-hcd2101.html

It is like this one above but it is probably 6' tall by 4' wide by 2' deep when unfolded. It is only about 4' long by 2' wide by 3-4 inches tall when folded. When it is folded, I can slide it in the tiny space meant for the ironing board in my laundry room, under the end of my bed or along the wall of my closet, depending what room I have it in.

It was a great deal too as it was only $60 and will last me the rest of my life.

Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Sorry,
Old 06-23-2020, 09:53 AM

can't help. I air dry too.
letsgomets is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-23-2020, 09:53 AM

I dry almost all my clothes on a rack. Even if you have a ton of clothes, you're still only drying a load at a time.

This one holds a lot of clothes at once: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 06-23-2020, 10:01 AM

Thanks guys and thanks Lottalove and Gromit for the links! I guess I've been doing all the right things all along as said on this site out of many that lists things to do:

https://fredsappliance.com/service/p...rinking-dryer/

I guess a rack is the only thing left to do. I'd just buy this (link below) so the clothes could already be hung up and then I can put it straight in the closet. I won't have to do the extra step of hanging it up on the hangers (sweaters I've always taken to the cleaners, but I'd buy the usual-looking rack for knit items so as not to stretch them out on hangers).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082SJZMPX...v_ov_lig_dp_it

overthemoon

Old 06-23-2020, 10:02 AM

I usually dry them for about 20 minutes and then let them air dry the rest of the way.
overthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 06-23-2020, 10:10 AM

My only suggestion, besides air drying, is to not over dry. Definitely get those clothes out before they are desert-dry. Ans if there are settings, don't use highest heat.

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 06-23-2020, 10:10 AM

I took me a minute to "get" this

Quote:
I’ve found that most of my clothes shrinkage comes from the refrigerator rather than the dryer.
Funny, that is where most of my shrinkage comes from too! I only my clothes changed sizes as easily as my body.
elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

shrinkage
Old 06-23-2020, 11:43 AM

I thought I was in the minority in air drying my clothes, but it is nice to see like-minded people here. It helps save on energy plus my clothes last seemingly for ever.

DH uses the dryer for his clothes, and I can tell the difference between his clothes and mine.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 06-23-2020, 12:20 PM

I have a plastic folding rack to air dry delicate clothes. I have it in the corner of my bedroom, and it is easy to fold up and put away when not in use. It's really not a big deal. But I do laundry pretty often, so it's not like I have tons of things drying at a time. I don't use hangers, just lay them over the rods.

ETA: Masped, you might want to search for "foldable" or " portable" clothes rack. The link you showed is pretty big and unwieldy. I love that mine is so easy to fold and stick in the closet when not in use. Very lightweight, too.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-23-2020, 01:18 PM

Iím another who only lets clothes spend a few minutes in the dryer (to dewrinkle and fluff a bit).

When I was doing laundry for a family of 4, I had a big freestanding rack DH built from PVC pipe to my specifications. It lived in the laundry room.

Now itís just me with a tiny laundry room, so I have (and love) this:
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 06-23-2020, 02:55 PM

I air dry almost all of my clothes too. They go on the clothesline in the summer, and I have 2 drying racks in my finished basement for the rest of the time. The adjustment is that you can only wash/dry one load at a time. Doing a load a day works for me, but if you prefer to do multiple loads back to back air drying doesn't work as well.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Old 06-23-2020, 03:22 PM

My husband installed a rack for me to hang clothes on. My laundry room is tiny, and this was a great solution. Sorry it’s sideways.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-23-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Iíve found that most of my clothes shrinkage comes from the refrigerator rather than the dryer.
SO true!! Or the cupboard or whatever hiding place I'm using...

I hang dry many clothes. We don't have very much room and we live in a little apartment, so I put shirts on hangers and hang in my bedroom from doorknobs or drawers of my dresser (pull each one out differently so they all hang without touching), and I lay sweaters, pants, or dresses out over my bed or random places (while I sleep) to let them dry

Use what you have, that's my motto!
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 06-23-2020, 05:23 PM

Yep, I dry a lot of my clothes briefly to tumble out the wrinkles and then air dry. I used to set my drying rack in the big tub I never use in our master bath. Now I set it in one of my kid's old rooms - which is nice because I can leave it.
MKat is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 06-23-2020, 05:57 PM

Thanks guys as well as to those who posted pics! In addition to what I said in post #8, I like this type the best (link below)...no chance of stretching and won't make a crease in your clothes. Don't have the room though and I'd be drying things 24/7 for weeks if I did that to most of my tops, even if I doubled and tripled up (piling on 2-3 items on each one) OR I'd need about 10-15 of these racks, ha! I'll do the best I can. I even buy a larger sized article of clothing if I can to allow for shrinking when I start to wash them.

https://www.amazon.com/Casolly-Sweat...df_B073CS9KJV/

Teddi9192, ha, good one!

Lilbitkm

Old 06-23-2020, 06:12 PM

I only put pajamas and underwear in the dryer. I hang dry everything else. I have two full bathrooms in my house and one is next to the laundry room I just use the curtain rod in the guest bathroom to hang everything.

I do laundry every two weeks and wear jeans/pants more than once so itís really not a ton to hang dry.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 06-23-2020, 06:22 PM

My son once wanted to know why if he buys the correct size it shrinks. But, if he buys a size up to allow for shrinkage, it doesnít shrink.

I have two racks near the washer and dryer for the things I line dry. I hate to iron so after they are dry, I throw them in the dryer on no heat for about ten minutes. If I fold or hang right away they are fine.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

KC14

Old 06-23-2020, 06:31 PM

We had to cut down the tree that our clothesline was on but since it is now only the two of us, I can still hang things in the laundry room. Socks, underwear, sheets and towels are the only items that have even been in the dryer. Unfortunately, refrigerator shrinkage still happens in our household.
KC14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-23-2020, 09:38 PM

I also agree with stretching clothes before putting them in the dryer. I have a clothes rod in my laundry room, so I can easily hang things to dry if needed. I also installed an extra shower rod in the middle of both my showers so I can hang things there, too,
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 06-24-2020, 12:44 PM

Thanks again guys for all your input! Stretching before putting the dryer sounds good. Fortunately, I only have to worry about this for tops and not really bottoms.