Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Birth Question

>

ICrazyTeach

Birth Question
Old 07-01-2020, 02:10 PM

If you have given birth, did you have an epidural? I did with my first. And then I had a relatively easy delivery. No huffing and puffing and screaming like in every single TV and movie birth I've seen. Did I just have it super easy? Or is there just all the added screaming for dramatic effect?

***I wouldn't call any of this "easy" at all. I had back labor with my first for several hours and was MISERABLE. But I didn't realize what was going on until my water broke. As soon as I got to the hospital they started the epidural. I remember being super annoyed with the nurse because she kept asking me questions and I couldn't respond in the middle of a contraction.

Last edited by ICrazyTeach; 07-01-2020 at 05:30 PM..
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Birth question
Old 07-01-2020, 02:13 PM

Iím the wrong person to ask. First DD was born in 4 hours, second took 1 hour. Natural births and no time for drugs.

I would say more groaning and panting than the screaming and puffing you see in movies and TV.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-01-2020, 02:13 PM

You had it easy! I have friends who report that their epidural wore off and the last part of delivery was completely shocking and miserable.

I did not have an epidural for the delivery of both of my kids but the training for that experience was extensive and helped a great deal.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 07-01-2020, 02:20 PM

I've done both, and my experience with the epidural ( once it properly kicked in) was like yours. I had actually drifted off to sleep and the doctor came in to check on progress and said it was time to push and there was the baby. Now the birth without the epidural and probably before I got the epidural for the other birth, there was lots of yelling, grunting, screaming haha!
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-01-2020, 02:59 PM

I didn't have an epidural with either of my vaginal births (I did have a spinal for my c/s with my first baby). I also wasn't huffing and puffing and screaming like you see in movies. I was, however, growling (for lack of a better word) with contractions/pushing. It felt better to make noise. Plus, as it turns out, he was stuck and the active phase of labor took WAY longer than it should have. For the second baby (in a hospital), they were a little perturbed I think (you'd think that no one does a natural birth there). For the third baby (at home), it didn't matter. Just us (including midwife) and the elk and bears in the woods around our house

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

My experience - TMI
Old 07-01-2020, 02:59 PM

I had always planned on a natural birth with no epidural. You know what they say, ďthe best laid plans of mice and men...Ē

****The next part is TMI*****

I was scheduled to be induced at 41 weeks and went into labor naturally the morning of my induction (I was to go to the hospital that night). I labored on my own through the night at the hospital (sleeping with that awful peanut pillow thing & being flipped like a pancake because your hips go numb). I dilated on my own to 5 cm and then stalled. They broke my water in the morning hoping to intensify my contractions and kickstart my stalled progression. I lasted several more hours until my doctor advised the use of Pitocin. Due to my sonís position (Iím really petite & his head/neck were wedged pretty well) any time I tried to maneuver to a more comfortable position (the back labor was rough) the babyís heart rate would drop. I knew as soon as I agreed to the Pitocin that I would get an epidural. My labor progressed pretty quickly & I went from 6cm to 10 in a relatively short amount of time. However, I pushed for about 4 hours . My baby got stuck -they needed the vacuum & I got ripped to shreds. Unfortunately at that point the epidural had wore off and I could feel everything. When the doc was stitching me up after the birth I literally could feel the needle and he was at the top limit of giving me the lidocaine/novacaine.

I have a really high pain tolerance and feel like I probably could have labored without the epidural but ultimately given the ďemergencyĒ turn that my labor took even with it wearing off Iím glad that I had gotten one.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Learn Today

Old 07-01-2020, 03:11 PM

You had it easy. I had an epidural with my first and it was fine. My second was without an epidural and there was screaming. I finally had an emergency c-section. Epidurals are the way to do.
Learn Today is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 07-01-2020, 03:12 PM

4 births - all natural with no epidurals. I probably did a lot of grunting, but NOTHING like they portray birth in movies and on TV. I think going in knowing I was going to go natural made a difference. My DIL had to have her third child natural because there was no time for the epidural and she thought she was going to die. I think it is different for everyone.
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Luvetc3

Birth variety
Old 07-01-2020, 03:34 PM

I've had several birth experiences. My first was unmedicated. I didn't scream, but I did get a bit vocal with the ring of fire.

My second was emergency c section. I was unconscious for most of it, but I did have to tell the surgeon to put the scalpel down until I was out!

My third was a spinal block for repeat c section. No issues until I needed a blood patch two days postpartum for "leak".
Luvetc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

francie

Old 07-01-2020, 03:55 PM

My first was natural.... my water ruptured at 33 weeks and our preemie decided to make a speedy appearance. My water ruptured at 6:45. He was born at 8:49. It wasn't too bad, but he was only 3 1/2 lbs....so not a big baby. The only problem I initially had was figure out how to push....once I figured that out it was better. I also have to say that the lamaze breathing definitely helped keep me focused on birthing and not the pain.

For my second I was induced at 38 weeks. I requested an epidural. The doctor ruptured by water before the epidural and I started contracting very quickly. They were able to place the epidural, when the NP checked me I was already fully dilated. At the time I was thankful for the epidural because all of my contractions were in my back.....which to me are more painful than stomach contractions. However, I think we slowed him down and he came out with acid in his tummy and had to have a NICU stay. It turns out he was was possibly without oxygen for a moment and round up having a seizure. Thankfully he is now seizure free. I felt like my recovery time was quicker with my first birth. I do tell women that if you want the epidural make sure they place it before they rupture your water. I should have known based on my first birthing experience that after my water ruptured I dilate quickly.

francie is offline   Reply With Quote

WacSingLof

Old 07-01-2020, 04:03 PM

My experience:
First was induced,I had an epidural from the start and didn't feel a thing, even when after 12 hours they had to use the vacuum thing... I honestly never felt pain.

When I was told I'd need an induction with my second child, I didn't think twice about it. But the anesthesiologist was late ( stuck in traffic was his excuse!!!!) So I never got the epidural, nor any kind of pain medicine - we were waiting for the anesthesiologist
In my opinion, it was the worst experience ever. I've had lots of surgeries, including on herniated discs, and nothing compared to the pain. For me, and that's really personal, the fact that I couldn't help crying and screaming and kicking was also very humi!iating. I felt so helpless and in so much pain...Even now, 25 years later, I still shiver thinking about it.
Of course everyone is different....
WacSingLof is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I say you were lucky
Old 07-01-2020, 04:12 PM

Every pregnancy is different. Every birth is different. And everyone's pain tolerance and endurance is different.

With my first I had a epidural. He was born at 36 weeks so he was small and easy to push out. I was in labor for 12 hours before he was born.

With my second child my blood pressure shot way up during delivery so no epidural. The pain was the worst I have ever felt. But the labor and delivery only lasted 4 hours so I was not as tired afterwards as I was with my first child.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

3leggedtable

3 Natural Child Births
Old 07-01-2020, 04:15 PM

I had 3 natural child births and I did not do any screaming. And my first child was 9 pounds 6 oz. and 22 inches long.

After my third son was born the nurse said it was the first natural child birth she had attended. I asked how long she had been working maternity and she replied 6 months.

I will admit that I have an irrational fear of being immobilized - impaired.
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 07-01-2020, 04:24 PM

I had two natural births. I was in hard labor with both for over 6 hours and one baby was 10 lbs and one was 10 lbs 14 oz. I donít think I screamed, but there was a lot of groaning and moaning and towards the end I donít think I was the most pleasant person to be around. I wasnít cussing or swearing but I do think I was a little short with people especially my husband, and I wasnít on my best manners.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-01-2020, 04:28 PM

I love the midwife,woods and bear experience GraceKrispy!
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-01-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I had 3 natural child births and I did not do any screaming. And my first child was 9 pounds 6 oz. and 22 inches long.

After my third son was born the nurse said it was the first natural child birth she had attended. I asked how long she had been working maternity and she replied 6 months.

I will admit that I have an irrational fear of being immobilized - impaired.
I have somewhat of a fear of being out of control, too. I don't like that feeling. I hated how I felt on the spinal during my c/s and would have done anything to avoid it. 24 hours of painful labor and a stuck kid was far superior to how I felt with that spinal. I wasn't in pain with the spinal, but I felt like I couldn't breath and it was so terrifying to lay there trying to stay alive while they pushed and prodded a kid out of my belly.

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 07-01-2020 at 07:49 PM..

juliet4

First birth
Old 07-01-2020, 04:42 PM

Was a 9.8 pounder. Forceps delivery. Old school. Caudal block. About 7 hours. Second child was literally painless. Born about 3 minutes after arrival at hospital. 10 cm dilated on arrival. Born fast. That one was 8.8 pounds. Both daughters. I thought both were easy...
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

it'sjustme

Old 07-01-2020, 04:50 PM

I had three children. The first two were with no meds. They were 9 1/2 pounds and 10 1/2 pounds. My third one was with an epidural. It was a piece of cake. I don't understand how people can complain when they have one. I even got to take a nap during contractions.
it'sjustme is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 07-01-2020, 05:00 PM

I've had 2 babies, both with epidurals. I don't think I made much noise at all, other than some heavy breathing when pushing. Even when the pain was bad before the epidural I think I was quite quiet, just trying to breathe through it.

I went into my first birth open to trying natural, but then the baby went into distress, they broke my water and it went from 0-60. I think the Dr encouraged the epidural because if her heart rate dropped again I was going in for a C-section. I dilated all the way right after the epidural so I figured my body had just needed me to relax. They needed to use the vacuum with her so I was quite glad to be numb.

With my 2nd kid, I was still thinking I wanted to try natural, but I knew that the epidural would likely make me dilate faster. Then my water broke and contractions didn't start, I needed Pitocin, and there was no way I was doing that naturally. Same deal - had an epidural, dilated all the way, only pushed a few times and there he was.

Both of my labours were really quick - about 6 hours active labour for the first and 3 1/2 for the 2nd. There will be no 3rd!
Paddlegurl is online now   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 07-01-2020, 05:06 PM

I was induced both times and had epidurals both times. However, with my second delivery, the epidural only worked on one side. I definitely felt that one more.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Old 07-01-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
First DD was born in 4 hours, second took 1 hour. Natural births and no time for drugs.
Keltikmom, I was lucky like you! I had dreaded labor after hearing stories from my mother and aunts (24+ hours). Both of mine were big kids (8.10 and 8.2 lbs., resp.).

Last edited by cvt; 07-01-2020 at 08:42 PM..
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 07-01-2020, 07:24 PM

I had two natural births.

My first was 5 hours from induction to birth, my second daughter was born in triage because they couldnít get me to a room in time.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-01-2020, 07:47 PM

It's funny the time difference- my second (my first vaginal birth- vbac) was about 24 hours from start to finish (mostly because he was stuck with his fist next to his HUGE head and his elbow straight out- I forget how big his head was, but it was over 99th %ile) and my third (a home vbac -hbac) was about 2 hours start to finish. Super intense and confusing and totally unexpected after my second birth They were 9 lb 9oz and 9lb 2oz

My first- the c/s- was only 6lb 9oz.

NCteacher

Old 07-01-2020, 09:27 PM

Induced at 42 weeks. 15 hours of unmedicatrd labor. Dr broke my water. Finally asked for an epidural and told I couldn’t have one because they thought I would have to have a c section and an epidural isn’t the best anesthesia for that. No screaming , but some groaning and a threat to boot my husband out the window when he came back to the room with a salad for lunch and sat munching it like a cow chewing its cud.
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote