Has the pandemic changed the way you shop for groceries? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Has the pandemic changed the way you shop for groceries?

>

anonymouse

Has the pandemic changed the way you shop for groceries?
Old 07-16-2020, 08:09 AM

I used to shop for groceries several times a week. I'd stop after school if I changed my mind about what to make for dinner or forgot to take something out of the freezer. I'd run out to the store for one ingredient or if I ran out of milk.

Now I shop early in the morning once a week or less. I order non perishable things from Target and have them delivered. I am keeping my freezer full. I buy an extra package of meat or chicken to toss in the freezer. I also buy an extra container of things like pasta or sauce to put in the pantry.

I also order pet food from Chewy by the case and stock up on kitty litter and filters for the fish tank.

Have you changed the way you shop?

Last edited by anonymouse; 07-16-2020 at 09:33 AM..
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-16-2020, 08:24 AM

Yes, definitely. I live alone and now I know how to shop at Ralph’s (Kroger’s) once a month and Trader Joe’s once a month. I so miss running to the store to facilitate a whim.

And it’s changed the way I eat, too. For the first time ever, I really pay attention to freshness and sell-by dates. I’m cheap, so I don’t toss food, I overeat. Ugh.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 07-16-2020, 08:44 AM

I go less frequently but buy a ridiculous amount each time. My last 3 trips to Samís club topped $500 each. Within an hour of getting home one of my teen sons will complain that we have nothing to eat.
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Yes
Old 07-16-2020, 08:49 AM

If the store is out of something when I receive my delivery or curbside offer I don't visit another store to obtain that product. I just do without and make menu changes. So no short trips to the store where I go inside.

We did use curbside service before the pandemic but we had never used home delivery before.

I try to get enough food to last ten days rather than seven like I used to do to cut down on trips.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Oh yeah!
Old 07-16-2020, 08:53 AM

We used to shop every Sunday, but now we go once every three weeks or so. I plan my meals so we have fresh veggies and such the first week and then we rely on frozen veggies for the last week or so.

I don't do delivery or pick up, only because grocery shopping has become one of the few sources of entertainment for me.

SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Yes
Old 07-16-2020, 09:06 AM

I also try to go less often. I wear a mask in stores, too, which obviously before COVID I didn't do. Prior to COVID, I never sanitized my cart before going into the store, but now I do. I've never been one to worry about germs, getting sick, or to take a whole lot of precautions, but I have with this whole COVID thing. More so because I worry about giving it to someone else, especially someone in a high risk group than me getting it.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 07-16-2020, 09:15 AM

Early on it was hard to find anything. DH would venture out about once every 10 days. He would pretty much buy anything and everything he could find at that time. We've gone through most of that and the grocery is staying pretty much stocked again. So now I actually plan meals again and do my weekly grocery order. DH still goes to Costco and buys a bunch of junk. The kids eat everything in sight. We make a small trip mid week to restock milk.
Before all this I would do a weekly grocery order. And a Costco run about once a month.
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-16-2020, 09:19 AM

It hasnít really changed for us. We did a big, usually online, grocery order every 4 to 6 weeks. DH would pick it up on the way home from work. We would pick up fresh meat at the local grocery on Sunday afternoons after church,

The only real difference has been we do local shopping other days besides sinday because we donít have church services now,
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Grocery Shopping
Old 07-16-2020, 09:25 AM

Yes, the way I shop has changed dramatically. First of all...I don't shop, and I won't step foot in our grocery again for a while because people won't wear masks. DH does the grocery shopping every 14-18 days. He has a very engineer-like, methodical way of thinking and usually does not buy anything unless it is on the list I give him. So as a result we are actually spending a lot less money at the grocery because I am not there multiple times a week to make impulse purchases. I am also not doing any other shopping either. We are definitely not contributing to building the economy simply because people won't wear masks and we don't feel safe going into a store right now. Our local economy and businesses are suffering and we feel bad that we can't support them.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Yes!
Old 07-16-2020, 09:36 AM

after I retired I was stopping in different grocery stores several times a week at all different times., One had butchers and wonderful meat, another had better produce and one was so close to my home I just ran in to get something I didn't have for a meal. And of course some visits to Costco.

Now I go only first thing in the morning during senior hours. I go less than once a month. I get home and take everything to the laundry room and wipe everything down with a water/bleach combo and then put it away. I have a full freezer and a full pantry. I have a lot of bulk items like yeast, flour, sugar, vanilla, baking powder so I can bake.

chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-16-2020, 09:47 AM

Absolutely yes! I only go on weekday opening times the last 15 minutes of the senior hour actually. (Fiance' and I have underlying conditions and never had trouble getting in.)

We don't try to stay in the stores long either.

And definintely we try our best to go a LOT less often.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 07-16-2020, 09:51 AM

The pandemic has changed the frequency of my shopping for sure. I shop at Costco about once every two weeks and my local store about the same. I am an adventuresome cook so I used to run to the local store when I needed something. Now I try to predict what I will need and substitute if possible. Im not sure this means I am a more creative cook but I do what I need to.
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

shopping
Old 07-16-2020, 09:55 AM

YES!!! We use to do shop when we felt like it avoiding after school and weekends. Then Covid hit. DD shopped for us and brought it to the house. The Hannafords to Go service is back up and we are now ordering and picking up. DH made an in store trip and bought enough cookies, cakes etc to feed a house full of teens. Not sure what he was thinking...

Miss running to the store for one or two items and fresh foods.
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Yep
Old 07-16-2020, 10:02 AM

We are still buying more food, less frequently... Doing without or substituting things when something is missing (as opposed to popping out to get it.)

It is nice on the one hand, as having a full pantry makes meals easier but it is also less fresh fruit and veggies on a regular basis-less fresh breads and similar.

We do freeze milk and breads but it is not exactly the same.

We are also out of ccertain cleaing supplies and wipes in my area so I have to make adjuustments for that too.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 07-16-2020, 10:15 AM

I do Wal-Mart delivery. I don't thing that it's any safer than curb side pick up but it appeals to my laziness. I think it's 12$ a month plus tip. I have a delivery every week.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Lottalove
Old 07-16-2020, 10:20 AM
This message has been deleted by Lottalove.

luvmycat

Old 07-16-2020, 10:20 AM

I get a Safeway delivery every 2 weeks. If needed, I go to TJs or Costco during senior hours on the weeks in between. I'm still getting my Home Chef boxes weekly.

I am always well stocked with food.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

Irish

For sure
Old 07-16-2020, 10:21 AM

I absolutely love shopping online and curbside pick up. I now use Home Chef 2 or 3 times a week. I have no desire to set foot in a store. Back in the day when I was teaching with three kids I would have taken advantage of a this opportunity.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 07-16-2020, 10:35 AM

I use target drive up and shop early when I really need to. Many stores have stopped senior hours even though we are still in very high numbers. I have been keeping my freezer full but now I am starting to empty it out because we are in fire season and our power can get shut off during high wind warnings. I have lost too much food in the past
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 07-16-2020, 10:48 AM

Yes absolutely. I don't go as often, for sure. We still have senior hours but I don't do that very much now because, even during senior hours, people won't wear masks or follow the arrows. I've been doing pick-up.

There's one store I won't go to at all - their cashiers and baggers wear masks but there are stockers in every other aisle without masks. I'm pretty sure that store owner is an anti-masker and so are many of the customers.

Walmart and Pick'n'Save are going to start requiring masks next week, so I may go back to shopping during senior hours at those two stores. I wouldn't want the job of standing at store entrances making people wear masks, though. And then, I'll have to see how sneaky people are. I saw people at our medical clinic pulling their masks down when they thought nobody was looking.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 07-16-2020, 11:05 AM

I was a "I'm just running up to the store" person before this. If I needed something for dinner that night and didn't have it, I'd go get it. Now I have to make do with what's already in the pantry!

I now go to the regular grocery store twice a month and Costco once a month. And I buy way more than I would have normally because what if I need it! We've got an extra freezer and pantry in the garage that are currently full.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 07-16-2020, 11:11 AM

Yes and no

I know stock up on cleaning supplies and paper goods a little more.

No. I still shop once a week. Sometimes once every 2 weeks if I need to clean out the freezer or fridge. I plan my meals and only buy that.
techgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-16-2020, 11:24 AM

Not that much. I've always been a "stockpiler" to avoid making too many trips to the grocery store and because taking advantage of stockpiling items on sale is cheaper than weekly shopping.

In April, I did buy a few months' worth of some things that were plentiful at my Costco (which I decided was "more than two full pallets of the item" and which is really only 1 or 2 cases when there's only 2 of you in a household). I did not buy things like rice or flour even if it was available because I had a little bit already or available substitutes and decided to wait until it was plentiful again. Then I bought one 50 lb sack of each, which will probably last me until the pandemic is over and beyond.

The main thing I've changed is more frozen fruit/veggie and willingness to buy things like milk or eggs for a couple of dollars more because I'm in the store now and will need it soon rather than wait for a sale or a less expensive store.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 07-16-2020, 11:34 AM

Definitely. I do not go into large grocery stores right now.

I do curbside pick up from a grocery store every 2 weeks for staples. For produce, I go to a local fruit market that also has a deli and dairy section where I get fresh produce and specialty cheeses. Once a week.

For meat, I am ordering chicken and kebabs for the grill from a wholesaler who branched out during COVID after restaurants stopped ordering. Great prices and quality.
A local pub that canít open yet has also morphed into a mini grocer offering curbside pick up. I have ordered meat boxes from them as well. Vacuum packed chicken, steak, and bacon at great prices.

I miss shopping but Iím liking the convenience of this.
imatchr2 is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 07-16-2020, 12:16 PM

Yes, I shop curbside now every 7-9 days. Never used curbside before the pandemic. Before I would do my major trip and then sometimes a pop in visit if I needed ingredients for a new recipe or for a fresh bunch of bananas or other fruit/veggies. I love curbside!
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 07-16-2020, 12:20 PM

My main local grocery has started to do deliveries. They charge extra, but it's worth it. I think I actually save money and make healthier choices because I add/delete/revise my list throughout the week instead of buying things on a whim or giving in to a sudden craving.
There is another grocery I may run into for a couple of items, but I really do limit it.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Still
Old 07-16-2020, 12:22 PM

I still do a weekly pickup like I always have. We used Instacart for a while, but the quality of deliveries declined so much that we cancelled. We stocked up a bit back in March, but weíve used quite a bit of our surplus since then.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

A bit
Old 07-16-2020, 12:33 PM

I havenít been to Costco in 3 months. I am thinking of not renewing my membership. I still shop every 8-9 days for groceries and still do self-checkout.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 07-16-2020, 12:36 PM

Yes and no.....

I only shop once a week. Before, I'd stop at the store on the way home if we needed something. I do plan out our meals and get those things when I shop.

I also go to our local butcher about every two weeks and stock up on meat.

I won't do pickup or delivery. I'd rather do my own shopping. Just my thing!
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-16-2020, 12:49 PM

It did at the beginning, but not so much anymore. I was buying a ton of food at once and feeling like I always had to have two week's worth on hand. Now that supply chains have been stabilized, I don't feel like I have to worry about "stockpiling" anymore. If I get sick and can't go out, I can always do a grocery delivery.

The stockpiling was getting tricky with expiration dates, and I also have an extremely old fridge/freezer. If it dies, I don't want to be out a ton of money with wasted food. With everyone wearing a mask, stores letting less people in, and the information about how surface transmission isn't really a big deal, I also no longer worry about going to the store as far as safety.

The only thing that's still a little different is that I always go to the store again when I have a few meals left at home, just in case. Pre-pandemic one thing I would try to do to cut down on waste was to eat absolutely everything I had before going to the store again. While I no longer feel I need 2 weeks worth, I feel like I should always have a few meals on hand in case it takes a couple of days to get a grocery delivery.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherpippi

Old 07-16-2020, 01:03 PM

Before, I did the shopping about once a week.

Now we go 2-3 weeks between shopping and will be sticking with every three weeks since things are getting bad around us again. Dh is doing all the shopping since he is the only one out of the house.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Yes
Old 07-16-2020, 02:10 PM

Like you, I limit grocery store visits. When the pandemic started, I did some stocking up, but the need has not been there lately. I started out shopping during senior hours, but have found that now that the initial rush is over and we are in it for the long haul, going off-peak like mid-morning or during the afternoons during the week works just as well. If I am going to make a recipe, I list the ingredients and make sure that I am buying them.

I tend to shop a couple of smaller specialty grocers at off-peak hours. The sales have not been great even in the bigger chains around here, so I find myself not being as concerned with prices. One of the chains has a little big meal for $20, and if it is something I like, I buy it and have meals for three or four days from it. Before the pandemic, I had the time as a retiree to shop sales and visit multiple markets. Now, I target one store and that is the one I build my meals around.

I too have been buying my dog's food from Chewy. There was a smaller store that I bought it from locally before the pandemic but they closed and I am not sure if they are offering curbside. Chewy seems the easier way, at least for now.

I also was a big farmers market shopper before the pandemic. One market is a good distance away, and in a park with narrow paths. Even though I know they are limiting the number of people admitted at one time, I don't feel comfortable, so I am not going there this year. There is another one that I am going to try in a week or so that is in a parking lot of a nearby suburb, and they have an earlier half hour for seniors. When I go, I am going to try to target that time and get in and out quickly. We also have been to a local farm. The barn is big enough for social distancing, and it was not crowded on the Tuesday afternoon it was open. I did not patronize them regularly when I went to other markets, but I will go there again.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Shopping
Old 07-16-2020, 02:30 PM

Senior hour at Trader Joeís is about 8 people. We do that. Locally, we shop at 7 am to avoid the tourists. Well stocked at that hour. I have not tried delivery yet but many local markets are out of a lot often. I buy tp every time I see it! Last week I found two huge bleach wipes at cvs! I feel shopping in person is best for me. I may try delivery next winter if this goes on and on...we do order from cvs and get delivery.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Shopping
Old 07-16-2020, 04:56 PM

Two things changed my shopping: Covid and Noom.

With Noom, Iíve been planning out all meals for the week. I used to be plan it in the morning, or later, and then go shopping. Now I know what I need ahead of time.

With Covid, I do waaaay more Instacart. Iíve been to the grocery store a few times, mostly when I needed things I just didnít trust someone else to buy.

I miss WebVan. Anyone remember them??
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Yes
Old 07-16-2020, 09:27 PM

I live in a big city and have lots of options. Previous to this I would shop at the ďFineĒ grocery store for meat, Ice Cream (only place to buy this brand) and fruit. Once in awhile something else. They are expensive, but you pay for quality and service. They are the only ones around that have a butcher. Then I would shop Safeway, Nob Hill and Trader Joeís. I would need a loaf of bread, I would just stop anywhere to get it after swimming or on the way home from whatever was going on. I rarely made a list, very much impulse buyer. Now I try to only go every week and a half to two weeks. I have a list, but still buy more. For the most part I only go to the one store that I can get everything. I buy way too much. Donít have any concept of how much more I am spending as I am buying for an extra person and a half (My mom and Gabriel is eating more as he gets older), I am buying more meat and I am used to going out to eat at a minimum of twice a week ( which my mom paid for).
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-16-2020, 10:09 PM

This is one area in which I am very blessed. Dh does all the shopping, and he has continued to do so. So nothing has really changed there. If you had to label us, I'm the working parent and he's the cooking/shopping parent
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote