The VENT

Back to school Issues

>

mhugs

Back to school Issues
Old 07-24-2020, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

RE: Hand Sanitizers
Many student lists include hand sanitizers. Recently there has been a FDA recall of at least 20 brands that aren't safe to use. Are teachers going to need to monitor that too?

RE:Temperatures
Taking student temps at the door will be interesting. Walking to school or waiting for buses in 90+ heat. I know went to the doctors on a hot day and just walking across the parking lot sent mine up above the safe limit. They let me sit in the AC'd lobby and try again 10 minutes later...but doing that with 300-500 kids???

mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 07-24-2020, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teacher middle school so hopefully kids will not have a problem with hand sanitizer. I usually buy a bottle for my classroom, but have not been able to find any. As for temperature checks we are not allowed to because of the liability of false positives. I guess from what I understand the school can be held liable to parents if a student is sent home for a temperature and they really don't have one? My thoughts were well can I hold my dr. liable if he refuses to see me because of a false temperature reading. Weird.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 07-24-2020, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yeah, I had the same thing happen to me at a doctor's office. I had been sitting in the car waiting to go in for my appointment, and by the time I got in to the office, it was registering my temp above 100. It was because I'd been sitting out in the car, in the sun. I waited a few minutes in the air conditioning, and they tested me again, and my temp was then fine.

But you're right- how can they wait and retest kids just in case the reading was wrong? Where should the kids wait? What if they really are sick- do we really want them hanging out in the office waiting to see if their temps go down?
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Before COVID
Old 07-26-2020, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I always pushed no fragrance hand sanitizers before- too many people with allergies (me included). That could be another issue with monitoring hand sanitizer.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

I donít
Old 07-26-2020, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I donít know where you live, however where I live in SoCal CVS, Target, Walmart etc. have tons of hand sanitizer.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 07-26-2020, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We arenít taking temperatures. We are leaving it up to the parents.

I need to look at the hand sanitizer list. I have tons left in my classroom because each kid brought a bottle last year and we maybe went through 1-2 bottles total.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-27-2020, 02:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We are only allowed a certain brand of hand sanitizer and wipes ( Clorox) and other cleaning supplies. They have to keep a master list in the office of the cleaners we have and the ingredients so that is why they chose one brand of each only. This started two years ago.

It will be interesting if they can't find those particular brands!
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote