Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Book

>

rachelmpd

Book
Old 07-26-2020, 08:31 PM

Before school shut down, I was going to get, ďOh the Places Youíll GoĒ and have Gabrielís preschool teachers and eventually grade school, maybe through high school sign it. I bought the book. Then kind of forgot about it until a few weeks ago when a friend happened to have a Curious George book that she was trying to drop off at her daughterís school. I forgot the title. That made me wonder if I should do the Curious George or Oh, the Places. Opinions?

rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 07-26-2020, 08:33 PM

I love Oh, The Places You'll Go, and I think that is a cool idea to have it signed by his teachers over the years. It's such a great message for kids graduating high school. I'd definitely go with that one!
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Old 07-26-2020, 09:59 PM

Just saying... when I signed my last Oh the Places You’ll Go book my last year of my teaching career I was ecstatic.

I didn’t mind when it was truly a kid that I had currently in my class. It seemed to have meaning. I can’t tell you how many I filled out during their senior year (I taught 3rd). It just seemed to be the latest thing on Pinterest. It is a great sentiment, but I found a canned sentimental quote online and that became my go to phrase. Honestly, one year I had a stack of 8 to sign. I hope I wrote the right names in them. I know that I was not alone in my frustration of the added task, especially at the end of the year.
luvmycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

Book
Old 07-26-2020, 11:05 PM

I agree with what luvmycat said. It was especially difficult to do for past students. I taught second and often wondered if the parents would truly keep it up and have it signed each year. I also wondered how many of those parents would write something for their children each year.
Iím not doing you, Rachel. I also know that youíve had a lot of loss this year. Those were just my thoughts especially with some of the parents I had. I mean when they bring you the book obviously high you just kinda wonder.
Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 07-27-2020, 03:33 AM

We had to sign The Places You’ll Go for a child who was, at the very least, a sociopath .

I feel like it might be something more meaningful to parents than to children.

CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Oh, the Places
Old 07-27-2020, 04:02 AM

What ever you decide, please don't hand it to the teacher in the last 48 hours of the school year and expect her to have time to write something meaningful. Even the last 2 weeks are extremely rushed.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs Readalot

Old 07-27-2020, 04:34 AM

I think either is fine. With Curious George you're being original. (And honestly it's a little more entertaining, but that's me.)
I agree with what others have posted, but I think in those cases it's parents who aren't thinking about everything that goes on the last few days and are scrambling. Just email his teachers and ask if they would be willing and what they're preferences would be on how to do it. I had one parent ask this past spring. I had her leave it in my box and I signed it when I came to pack up my room.
Mrs Readalot is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

Oh the Places You'll Go
Old 07-27-2020, 08:32 AM

I'll admit to being a parent who has Oh the Places You'll Go for my daughter (7) and I have another title for my son (4). BUT, we are overseas and so it is less of a trend. I also take it to her teachers in April to sign rather than the end of the year. This year I homeschooled DD, so I guess I need to write in it! I still have to get it to my son's preschool b/c of Covid.

I'm not a huge fan of Curious George, so I definitely vote Oh the Places You'll Go.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 07-27-2020, 01:32 PM

I got a request from a parent this year. I wrote up a little note with best wishes to the student, emailed it as a word document, and I assume the mom was planning on printing it up and then glueing it inside the book. It was actually easier then getting a physical copy of the book, because usually those parents keep it very secretive so the kids won't see, and they have to "smuggle" it into the office, put it in my mailbox, and I need to let them know when they can come pick it up from the office, etc.

So, while either book is fine, you may want to consider doing the whole thing via email. I'd probably vote for the Dr. Seuss book, though, because they are timeless and appreciated by all ages. After the age of 5 or 6, CG might seem a bit babyish to an older kid (while still appreciated by adults).
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Teaching2nd

sweet idea
Old 07-27-2020, 01:48 PM

I think it is a sweet idea and as a second grade teacher, I have signed many copies of the OTPYG book. I feel that it only takes a few minutes and it will be a special memory one day. I think the parents that do it will be likely to continue it each year and share it upon graduation. I did have two parents ask me to email them a note which they were going to print and add to the book for their child.

Teaching2nd is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 07-27-2020, 02:46 PM

I would do Oh the Places You'll Go. I had a professor tell us she gave this as a baby gift. I know Gabriel will treasure whichever book you decide to use.
klarabelle is online now   Reply With Quote

happygirl444

Old 07-27-2020, 06:14 PM

I have both books. Go with Dr. Seuss; it is better. Best of luck to you!
happygirl444 is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Thanks
Old 07-27-2020, 10:38 PM

I gave it to some student whose 6th grade promotion I was invited to, I was her teacher for 2nd and 4th. I had the rest Iíd the teachers sign it(for the life of me I canít remember whom it was, so I didnít get the Senior I adopted this year it&#128518.

I have had a book for his 2nd (Cat in the Hat) and 3rd (Train book) birthday parties, just a neat thing to look back on to see who was there. I tried to do letters for his 1st birthday, but only a couple of people wrote them.😡

I will do OTPYWG and just ask the teachers to sign it. I will at least do preschool and gauge what things look like in the spring of 2022 for Kindergarten (Hopefully he will go to a traditional K class) I have never been asked and didnít know it was a thing.
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote