Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Hip Replacement Surgery All of a Sudden

>

Song of Joy

Hip Replacement Surgery All of a Sudden
Old 07-29-2020, 05:02 PM

I need hip replacement surgery and they told me the wait would be 4 - 5 months. The timing would work great for me since I'm retired and want to finish canning garden produce.

Found out to day my surgery will be August 24. I can't wrap my head around it!

If you had this surgery, when did you start feeling like you could do things again?

Tell me not to be anxious.

Tell me it's the smart thing to do since my leg has started giving out at random times this last week.

Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Smart thing to do
Old 07-29-2020, 05:12 PM

Do not be anxious. I think it is the thing to do if your leg is giving out!
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

CZMOM

Old 07-29-2020, 05:22 PM

I think it's the smart thing to do. My husband just had a knee replacement surgery. His physical therapist said she had both hips replaced and is so very glad she didn't wait. She said the recovery from hip replacement is easier and quicker than knees. Good Luck!
CZMOM is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

one of the best things I ever did!
Old 07-29-2020, 05:38 PM

Hip replacement is very doable. The first week is a little rough, but with time and patience it will be OK. I'm wondering which kind you are having. One more recent method is to avoid cutting through major muscles allowing a much easier recovery. I know two people who have had this since the virus hit and they spent minimal time in the hospital. Each one's therapy is different. One gets all instruction online, one drives himself to a PT group and works with a therapist.
Before you go to the hospital, stock your freezer with icepacks. Ice is great after therapy.
Feel free to PM me!
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Momjo

Hip replacement
Old 07-29-2020, 05:40 PM

Do not delay it. The sooner the better. Do just what they suggest you do as far as post-op exercise. Your thigh muscle will be very weak afterwards. You will probably have a physical therapist come to your home the first few weeks. I used a walker a few days, a cane a few days, and then walked on my own. I feel so much better and sleep better! I also opted for extra physical therapy that I went to on my own for a few weeks and it was covered by insurance. I felt it helped a lot. Wishing you the best!

Momjo is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Oh my!
Old 07-29-2020, 06:03 PM

That’s quite a change of date for you to process.

Do not be anxious...

Philippians 4:6-7 – Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

I am presenting your request now fir an easy surgery & recovery.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Hip replacement
Old 07-29-2020, 06:29 PM

Hips are the simpler of joint replacement. Be sure to take pain maxes ahead of the pain, it trying to play catch up. Get someone to rub a good lotion on your heals...you will be sliding your leg across the bed for a week or two and it reeks havoc on your skin.

Do all the physical therapy and put your all into it.

I was up and walking without a crutches or a walker in 4 week.s
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 07-29-2020, 07:15 PM

My brother in law (65) had it done last summer. He had gotten to the point where he could barely walk but he was up the second day and home from the hospital and by the second week could walk around the block. He’s walking miles and miles this summer as he always did before the hip problems.

They do amazing things with joints these days, you’ll be fine!
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 07-29-2020, 08:22 PM

I had both hips done 4 years apart. The last one I was given the option of out patient surgery but I chose to stay at the hospital overnight. Most important is to do your physical therapy. Your muscles need a lot of strengthening. Ice packs help with any swelling. I took pain meds for one week. Sliding your leg in and out of bed is a challenge. I used a yoga strap to help support my leg for a few weeks.

I kept putting my surgery off Because I was scared. Wish I had done it years ago.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Hip replacement
Old 07-29-2020, 09:35 PM

I had my left hip done 4 years ago while still teaching.

Your ortho will most likely schedule you for a “hip boot camp,” a meeting with someone from the group ( for me it was a PT). They go over EVERYTHING there and send you home w lots of info.

I also started PT a couple months before surgery to improve my muscles, etc. before surgery. My hip was in such a state that I had been limiting normal exercise.

Do the post PT homework faithfully!

My PT said that teachers were her favorite patients because they follow directions the first time given and do their homework!

I discovered “normal” is the sweetest word! My surgery was normal, post-op was normal, length of stay was normal, PT was normal, ...I LOVE the word normal, and so will you!

DON’T listen to others’ horror stories. There are different hip replacement approaches and everyone is different.

Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

blcw

Old 07-30-2020, 06:19 AM

I had mine replaced last year:
Surgery at 7AM
Out of surgery by 9AM
Out of bed by 1-2 PM
First PT appointment later that afternoon (in the hospital)
Walked a lot of laps that night with a nursing student/aid because I could not sleep. We figured I walked over a mile
Home the next day
PT and OT several times a week for the next 3-4 weeks, they came to the house (makes sense, that's where you live)
After a week, using a walker, I walked several times everyday, reaching 2 miles (I have a nice safe area to walk in, and lots of neighbors cheered me on)
Went back to work after 6 weeks, no pain, no stiffness.
Now - no limp, no pain, it's as good as the original part before osteoarthritis.

I did do yoga (restorative, with an excellent instructor) up until surgery, and started again 6 months after. I think that helped a lot.

Frankly, my biggest issue was being unable to sleep on my stomach for 6 months. Get some nice big body pillows, a grabber, the hook on a stick thing and the sleeve to help with socks. Try different level toilets before surgery. I already have a higher toilet, when I tried one with the toilet seat booster, it was too high for my short legs. Get some slip on shoes/sneakers No slides, they will not be safe after surgery.

It will go well,

Blcw
blcw is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 07-30-2020, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. It was just the boost I needed.

I love the idea of getting some slip on sneakers since I'm stubbornly independent and want to do as much by myself as possible. I should probably get the grabby thing as well.

I'm using the same surgeon as my orthopedic P.A., and it will be an anterior surgery.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

blcw

Old 07-30-2020, 09:04 AM

I had the anterior surgery, very fast recovery because they do not cut muscles.

And I forgot to add - get a long shoehorn!
blcw is offline   Reply With Quote

Momjo

Surgery supplies
Old 07-30-2020, 05:54 PM

Some good advice here about supplies after surgery. The grabby thing, a long shoehorn, and a contraption to help put socks on were all provided by the hospital through my insurance. I never used the sock thing because mine was in the summer and I didn't wear socks. You may want to check before buying anything. Oh, and they also provided a walker.
Momjo is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 07-31-2020, 04:36 PM

Since your leg is giving out on you it definitely sounds like the right thing to do! I know its coming quicker than you expected, but I am sure it will be nice to have it over before the fall!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote