The VENT

Principal will give bad recommendation

>

Jane Smith

Jane Smith

Principal will give bad recommendation
Old 07-29-2020, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, I have a job offer for a new school. They mandate though, before the official hiring, contacting my last principal. My last principal was going to non renew me. He didn't like me at all, gave me the lowest walk through scores, and hated pretty much all I did. The principal before this one gave me a good reference, I was even teacher of the year, but the new school insists it needs to talk to my last principal, the one who hated me.

Do I have someone pretend to be him? Explain the situation to new place and hope it doesn't matter because my other references were good? Email last principal and beg him to say something nice? I can't not have a job and it's getting close to the wire.

cailin

Do not commit fraud
Old 07-30-2020, 01:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would think that a prospective employer would look at all references. if all except last one are good, they will wonder why, and dig deeper. You could be jeopardizing your future career.
cailin is offline   Reply With Quote

Marriedin79

Absolutely NOT
Old 07-30-2020, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Donít even think of having someone pretends to be your former principal. For one thing, people know people, and it would be easy to get caught. That would be career suicide. Another thing is that you are being dishonest, and it could come back to bite you in the tushie.
Marriedin79 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Principal
Old 07-30-2020, 03:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Absolutely do not even consider having someone pretend to be the other principal. That is illegal and if you were to be caught, there would be consequences. I would not beg him to say something nice. That would potentially encourage him to do just the opposite if he was truly a vindictive person.

I would not necessarily assume that your old principal would stand in the way of your getting another job. When I looked for another job, it was largely because my principal and superintendent in the rural district I started my career at did not like me either. They made some poor decisions regarding my program and working for them was not pleasant.

I interviewed and got the job. I did not know if one or both of them was directly called, but one day the principal told me that they called him and he gave me great references. I think they were as happy to get rid of me as I was of them.

Should they question you about anything he said you could respond at that time. Many teachers leave when it is not a good professional fit. Good luck to you. This close to the start of school and with all the crazy pandemic stuff going on, it would not be in their best interest to let a good teacher go.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-30-2020, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was in a similar situation and by the time my boss talked to my former P he had talked to my other references who said great things about me. My P didnít say terrible things, but waffled and was non-committal. My boss totally disregarded him.

Use your former P as a reference and by the time they get to your boss and all your other references say such great things, your current P wonít carry much weight.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

elmo33

Let him be a reference
Old 07-30-2020, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Go ahead and tell them to call- I am sure he wonít say anything bad, it would make him look not good to do that, if you were great at your other school it may have just been a personality thing and he will be good about a reference
elmo33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Recommendation
Old 07-30-2020, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Seriously? You seriously would consider having someone be him? That is absolutely awful! Completely dishonest, unethical, and illegal! I can't believe that would cross your mind! NO NO NO!

You need to put this in the Lord's hands. What will be, will be. What's meant to be will be. Everything will play out for His glory and His plan. Don't call the former principal and beg for a good reference. Just trust that everything will work out.

With other glowing letters of recommendation, teacher of the year, etc. hopefully it won't matter too much. Also, with it being almost August and schools needing to fill jobs, I'm sure that increases your chances of getting the job even more. They need to fill positions!
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

bulldoglab112

I wouldn't worry
Old 07-30-2020, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would be very surprised if your last principal would say anything negative unless your problems at your old school were because of some unethical, immoral, etc action on your part. Administrators don't generally bad mouth former employees with potential employers.
bulldoglab112 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-30-2020, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Principals have subtle techniques of passing on negativity about employees. Even a respectable prince ,if asked about a really crummy teacher,will be non committal and purposely vague in order to legally pass on negative information. A really good admin will consider all references and not get pulled in by an unnecessarily negative review from another prince. Hopefully you were kidding about having someone pose as the ex administrator. That is absolutely wrong and would spell the end of your career.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 07-30-2020, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Be very careful in asking someone to lie and help you acquire a job. I think that may very well be a fraud: "Many employers consider lying in your job application to be fraud. During the hiring process, if an applicant is required to make a signed statement that the information they are providing to the employer is true, lying from that point onward becomes illegal. https://www.lawdepot.com/blog/the-le...n-your-resume/

Let us know how things work out for you. I bet your former principal will be hesitant to say anything negative about you. Best wishes!

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-30-2020, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I see others have already addressed the terrible idea of having someone lie for you. If you were part of a union in the previous job, I'd contact them. They should still help you even if you no longer work there.

Many years ago, I worked for a narcissistic nutcase. Many teachers were getting job offers and then having them rescinded after reference checks, or getting to the "final step" and inexplicably losing the offer. The union contacted the principal and told her that she needed to stick to facts only when doing reference calls or they would look into legal charges for slander. Just the threat was enough to make her change her tune, and people started magically getting jobs after that.

Around here there is no way to get around your P being contacted when interviewing. Every district has it as a rule that they must speak to your current/most recent P. I tried so many ways around it and nothing worked.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Lenment

Lenment

Ex Principal Contact
Old 07-30-2020, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yeah, just have them call your last principal. Don't assume the principal
will say something bad about you.

You want a job, but keep on your search for other opportunities.

You could make an appointment and talk with your last principal. Due to Covid19, you'd probably have to use Zoom or Skype for a meeting. I had a similar experience. I talked with my exprincipal, but it didn't help.

You definitely don't want to have someone pretend to be your principal.
That would be fraud.

I subbed for a while after a terrible experience with a former principal. Then I finally got a full time job.
That's a rough situation.Keep looking and cross your fingers. It's all you can do.

basketball777

Old 07-30-2020, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have had 2 principals(1 per year) at same school who didnít give good recs... one disliked me but knew I was a good teacher. I even undercover reference checked them with an investigating company and their in-depth reference wasnít good. They had no clue I was checking them too. If you really donít trust yours after they chat & u somehow donít get this job, do attempt reference checking them! Then you know if you can trust them or not....
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Agree
Old 07-31-2020, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Don't try to work around it or lie. They will know and it will look super bad.

I switched jobs mid year and I'm 90% positive my admin gave me a bad review. She didn't like me, I wasn't part of her teacher clique, and it wasn't a good fit school for me. Quitting mid year is also just a bad look and can make any good principal write you a bad eval.

I interviewed at a school that is reasonable difficult to be hired at. Almost no teacher leaves so there's never an opening (which I understand why now since admin is absolutely AMAZING). When they let me know that they would be contacting my Principal, I asked if I could send them my end of year evaluations by admin (which weren't perfect, but they were average and had good comments about my ability as a new teacher).

I ended up getting the job and they ended up not contacting my last P. I'm sure they still read the evaluation she had to fill out for the district, but it didn't seem to matter.

At this point, I'd casually reach out to you new admin and send them your (good) evaluations.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 08-01-2020, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I strongly agree with basketball777. There are several refrence checking services out there, and it might be wise to have one of them contact your former principal to see what he's saying about you. If it's negative, you could consider hiring an attorney to put some fear into him.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 08-01-2020, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

The one I used was check your reference dot com. They actually have a professional warning letter they could mail for you. Or I also talked with a lawyer in the library & he advised getting a lawyer consult to have a lawyer draft a warning letter of libel. I found out from checking 3 references only 1 was good & trustworthy. The other two were doing some illegal type stuff.... However I still donít see how it helps because they still need to talk to last admins etc. I never followed thru with the warning letters. I should have...Iíve had 23 interviews no luck but of course I removed thOne admins from contacts.

I only did that when I suspected I was possibly not getting job offers cuz of them.
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Dzani

Reference check
Old 08-12-2020, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

There are actually companies you can pay to check your references and tell you what's being said about you. It's worth looking into.
That having been said, waffling about letting the new place contact your principal looks just as bad as anything he might say. You kinda have to take the risk.
Dzani is offline   Reply With Quote