Help

BusyBoard

Teaching groups at home?

>

Tuxedocat

Teaching groups at home?
Old 07-30-2020, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a couple parents in our district that want their kids to join mine at my home for virtual teaching (2nd grade) with me assisting the kids. I'll be home because I can't find a job to save my life. Their big question...how much? I have NO IDEA what to tell them, and the final day to register for virtual is tomorrow...school starts in just over a week. I've resigned myself to not having a job, but the idea of doing this at home makes me happier. At least it would be SOMETHING.

What do you guys think is a fair charge?

Tuxedocat is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-30-2020, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How long will they be at your house? How many days? Meals?
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tuxedocat

Old 07-30-2020, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

8 am - about 2:30 including lunch.
Tuxedocat is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-30-2020, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That is quite a chunk of time. My kids are grown, but I would have to pay a babysitter at least $10/hr, so that wuld be $60/day. $300 a week sounds steep, though. What would you feel good doing it for? At least $150 - $200.

If they can't do that, what would they pay? Have you tried checking prices for regular child care in your area?
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-30-2020, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

How many kids? Siblings or a few different families want to send their 2nd graders? If I'm understanding correctly, the students would be enrolled online at their school/be receiving their instruction that way, but you'll be providing childcare and support?

Quote:
$10/hr, so that wuld be $60/day
No kids, so I have no idea what babysitters charge, but I think you should charge at least that. I think if you're not providing the curriculum/instruction, you can't charge as much as a tutor, but why would you charge less than a babysitter? If you're expected to provide the lunch, you also need to factor in costs that you'll be spending on meals. I like the idea to check out day care prices in the area to see what the norm is.

The "learning pods" idea has really taken off here and parents are paying quite a bit for their kids to participate. I believe in most of those parents are looking for the teacher to provide the instruction though, so that's a bit different. In some teacher FB groups I'm in it's been suggested to get a lawyer to help you draw up a legally binding contract if you do something like this. Something that outlines responsibilities/liabilities for you and the families and so that you have something to fall back on if they try to stiff you. A lot of teachers are worried this will be a huge entitlement thing with parents- if they don't absolutely love everything the teacher says/does they'll try to get out of paying.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 07-31-2020, 03:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You are teaching them for most of the day and helping with child care. Iíd charge each $10 an hour. If you donít want to charge each family $300 a week, I would not go less than $200 week.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-31-2020, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am not sure what to charge, but checking daycare prices in your area is a great start. Not only are you providing day care and meals you are also providing educational assistance.

Also, you will need to report this on your taxes since it sounds like you will be doing this steadily for a while. You will be considered self-employed so you will need to pay certain taxes out of that.

Don't sell yourself short!
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-31-2020, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is also going be highly dependent on the area you live in, you couldnít get a decent babysitter here for under $15 an hour. But, daycare rates and babysitter rates arenít equivalent.

I would ask them to pack a lunch, snack, and water bottle daily.

I have a friend who still be doing learning pods with kindergarten and first graders.

She will have 4 first graders from 9-12
She will then have 2 kindergarteners from 1-3:30.

She will be making $6,000 a month, under the table.
If I could afford to do it I would in a heartbeat. We can take a year absence here and be guaranteed our same position at our school back. But, you have to pay your healthcare out of pocket and that just didnít make it worth it.

Also... one thing to keep in mind..l
The pod schooling wonít be forever. In my area parents can change their choice at the end of the quarter/semester and enroll their child back in face to face. Just a thought.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 07-31-2020, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am not sure how relevant this is but if you have child care in your home and providing meals will you have to become licensed as a home day care? There might be a limit on number of kids you can have to do this without a license. I am not sure how this works but you might want to look into it. Sounds like a great opportunity.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 07-31-2020, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In my area families are offering 30-40 per hour for someone to come in and do what you describe. Hour are around 8:30-2:30. This is in their own homes, not yours.

Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Pay Rate
Old 07-31-2020, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm really bad at determining pay. I tend to underestimate, but then I saw some of the posts and maybe I'm overestimated.

I was thinking $100-$150 a day. You'd be doing lunch/providing meals, supervising, probably tutoring/helping, etc. You also said you can't find a job, so if this is you are doing this, you basically miss out on having a day job, so I feel like you need at least something.

The way I look it at is that at 100 dollars a day for 180 school days, you'd make 18,000. For $150 dollars a day, you'd make $27,000. Both are less than you'd probably make a job outside the home, but substantial enough that it might be worth your time.

You are essentially providing day care, in my opinion, with tutoring thrown in. Have you looked at the cost of day care centers in your area?
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 07-31-2020, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I would charge the tutoring rate for your area. You are not babysitting. You should be paid more. You are going to have to pay both parts of your social security taxes, though you will get half back when you file with the IRS.

You need to also consider your health risks. How well do you know these people? Can you rely on them to be honest with you about social distancing?

Is your liability insurance adequate? You may want to check your coverage.
sonoma is online now   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Research...
Old 08-02-2020, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

At the risk of being a negative Nellie, I'll second those who've raised questions about child care licensing, liability insurance, etc. and that's not to mention what protocols you might need to establish regarding COVID-19. There might also be some challenges with the school district if the expectation is that you will be participating in virtual classrooms on behalf of children other than your own... Some districts are being very cautious. And "under the table" is risky at best--some parents may issue a 1099 which will effectively report what they pay you to the IRS. I can see how it would/could work well but I would surely want to cover all bases proceeding.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote