Help

BusyBoard

She left thousands of $$$$ of stuff

>

Zephie

She left thousands of $$$$ of stuff
Old 07-31-2020, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have sorted 2 shelves and one drawer of the storage in my classroom. The teacher who had it before me retired and left thousands of dollars worth of supplies - much of it unopened lakeshore stuff. Im in shock.

Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Good and bad
Old 07-31-2020, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I always hated getting a room that was not cleaned out and having to sort through everything to get it ready. Drives me nuts that the teacher wouldn't do it, but drives me even more crazy that an administrator wouldn't step in and insist that that be done!

However, Wow! You hit the jackpot! Hopefully it's things you can use!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

All different content
Old 07-31-2020, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is almost all math and science stuff. I will be doing ELA and SS, so nothing useful for me. The curriculum coordinator has been in here with me for over an hour going through stuff.

He just went to his office and I'm going to lunch. Ive gotten a lot done in 3 hours and have a better game plan for next week.

Zephie

Old 07-31-2020, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The old book series alone that were crammed into the lockers filled an entire rolling dumpster. This is absolutely crazy. There are tables of things to be taken to the school book room so the sped teacher can get supplies needed for her kids.

maile0408

Old 07-31-2020, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our district has a Teacher's Closet where we can go to "shop" for supplies. Do you have anything like that in your district where you can donate it?

maile0408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Finders Keepers!
Old 07-31-2020, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
It is almost all math and science stuff. I will be doing ELA and SS, so nothing useful for me.
You could always save it in case you need it another year. I say finders keepers. It's your pay for cleaning out all of her stuff!

Dr. A

Material in Empty Classroom
Old 07-31-2020, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
left thousands of dollars worth of supplies - much of it unopened lakeshore stuff. Im in shock.

Maybe the items were purchased with school funds.

If so, the teacher was suppose to leave the items in the classroom for the next teacher.

Then, if you leave the classroom, the same learning materials will be there for the next teacher.

In my district, all school purchased supplies & items must remain in the room when teachers leave or retire.

I would be disappointed if I was assigned a classroom with no materials & supplies.
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Materials
Old 07-31-2020, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The instructional coordinator was actually really upset I had multiple cabinets filled with all the supplies. Two years ago she was asked to return all non-current materials hat had been acquired through grants and whatnot to the book room. She returned a small cart and they assumed that was all she had.

The materials have been taken to the book room to be sorted into classrooms that can actually use them. Some of the stuff was 20 year old science experiments for a series that hasn't been used for 18 years. An entire dumpster cart was full of math and science series that had been retired years ago and disposed of by the district. There were entire sets of CCSS stndards cards for grades she had never taught. Nothing usable has been chucked

Dr. A

Old 08-01-2020, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Based on your post, I thought you were only referring to new & current materials.

I would be upset as well with outdated materials in the room.
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-01-2020, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

So many teachers have this issue of holding onto thing in case they need them. Even on here people encourage others to hold onto things they don't need now but might need in the future if they change grade levels! We buy things sometimes without having a need- or planning on using but something changes and we don't use it.

Books, even old books are hard to just throw away.

I got rid of a lot year before when I changed jobs. I gave a couple of things that my partner teacher and I used to her- but most of the stuff I just tossed. I kept a lot of books, but most other things that I couldn't use in my new job I tossed-but it was hard! In my new room, I stored the books, but I did have to go through them to again due to space. Now, I need to get rid of them all-but how many teachers here are going to be even wanting books since kids won't be able to use them? .

Selling books and materials is just not as profitable as it seems like it would be. Unless you find someone to take the whole bunch it is a pain. I sold a few things from the room when I moved in (some of my own from moving up 2 grade levels, and some left in the classroom). If you have to ship them the shipping cost is most of the profit- even if the buyer pays for shipping they want to pay pennies for the materials... It just works out to be more time and energy than it is worth in the end.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

School Supplies
Old 08-01-2020, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
In my district, all school purchased supplies & items must remain in the room when teachers leave or retire.
You're right. I agree. I forgot about that. I've worked for so many places that wouldn't give you for the money for those things that I just assumed she bought them with her own money.