Is anyone working on building up their mask tolerance? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Is anyone working on building up their mask tolerance?

>

Haley23

Is anyone working on building up their mask tolerance?
Old 07-31-2020, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In preparation for having to wear it for an entire school day? Or am I the only weirdo who thinks about these things? I'm someone who can't stand wearing a mask. Yes, I wear it everywhere. It's incredibly uncomfortable and makes me feel anxious. The longest I've worn mine was probably in June when I went to do some outlet shopping. I wasn't finished, but left at about the 1.5 hour mark because I was so tired of my mask. Obviously that doesn't work for school .

I've been wondering if I should be trying to wear it around the house to see if it's possible to get more used to it, or if it would feel better at school when I'm busy/distracted and not just focusing on how much I don't like having a mask on.

I was kind of feeling like we were going to start remotely and I wouldn't have to worry about it for awhile, but PD starts at the end of next week and we've been told to report to buildings. So I guess it's time to deal with the idea of actually going back in person...

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 07-31-2020, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think practicing is a great idea. It will be different in the classroom, so getting yourself use to the feel of the mask for a long length of time makes sense.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Yes!
Old 07-31-2020, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've been trying, too! I don't know how I'm going to be able to do it all day!

I'm just thinking I may not have to worry about it because we may be back to online before the year even starts. Or, by just a few weeks in. I predict there will definitely be closures again this year.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Some but not near enough...
Old 07-31-2020, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am trying to balance everything--physically, mentally, emotionally, financially, and any other way we can think of. .

So, yes, I am wearing the face a little more each day. I've also tried a few different types as I find them cheap now- in order to see if there is a better one than what I have now.

Overall, I find I like the ones with the vertical seam in the center best. I am breathing easiest in the disposable better than the cloth and I feel better in the unfiltered better than the filtered. Since the jury is still out on the how, when and wheres of mask wearing, I am trying not to get caught up in the details other than comfort. Plus the ones with the tiny valve I found have a tinier filter inside.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-31-2020, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We go back next week, and Iíll practice then. Most of the time Iíll be by myself in my room or working in small groups/with partner.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 07-31-2020, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Both of my sisters are nurses and recommend that you practice to build up your tolerance. It will be a little different for teachers in the classroom because we will have to exert more effort in order for our voices to be heard in a classroom.

My one sister also suggested that you rinse your mouth with mouthwash a couple of times a day to help prevent the build up of bacteria in your mouth. You definitely get "mask breath" from wearing one all day.

Both said that some of the nurses have had acne breakouts from sweating around the mouth and chin area.

I am going to practice and try out several kinds.I have been pretty isolated and stay home so I have only had to wear one for short periods of time. I felt anxious and claustrophobic when I first started wearing one. Hopefully I can build up to a whole day.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-31-2020, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one! Thanks for the tips, iteachk. I'm sure I'll end up with "mascne" and other skin issues. I have super sensitive skin and even with short durations having the mask rub against my face definitely irritates it. I usually wear foundation to school- my skin tone is really uneven and I feel like I look so much better with it on. I think I'm going to have to just let go of that this year. I'm sure skin issues would be even worse if I have make up on under a hot/sweaty mask.

I bought some disposable ones from Target tonight. I opened the package and tried one and it seems like a good purchase. They're much more lightweight and breathable than my cloth ones, the ear loops are less irritating, and they even have a nose wire that seems pretty sturdy. I still don't like how it feels hot underneath the mask but overall it's much more comfortable than my cloth ones- with these maybe I won't need to "practice" as much!

They're certainly not cost effective, but for something I have to wear all day long I'd rather pay to be more comfortable. I just got a 20 pack. I'm going to see how this return to school actually plays out before going on a bulk order hunt. I'll keep wearing my cloth ones for errands and things so I don't waste the disposable ones.

With the way our numbers are looking, it looks like some people will be involuntarily moved to the online school. I don't want to teach in the online school, but if that does happen- the one thing I can look on the bright side about is no mask!

mrsf70

Old 08-01-2020, 01:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I wore a mask yesterday while working at school for about 2 hours straight. It was a disposable mask from home I use for running errands (which is rarely). It wasn't too bad, but I also wasn't talking. Once I stayed in my classroom, I took it off and only used it to go in the hall to the office. I can't wear cloth ones even on short errands. They make me crazy, so I guess I'll be investing in a lot more disposables for the year.
mrsf70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiki

Too hot and humid
Old 08-01-2020, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Iím am so anxious about trying to teach for 7 hours in a mask without being able to even take it off for a sip of water. The mask triggers my PTSD so I am going to be a mess anyway. I donít want to start breaking out now and have that bacterial growing that causes bad breath this early so I am not wearing it. I keep hoping logic will take over and the CDC and DOE will realize that masks are causing more issues, but I know that wonít happen.

For those who can wear the cloth I do wish the school board and administrators would have a meeting where they maintained 6ft of separation and wore face coverings so they could understand the challenges this brings to communication, even for those without a medical condition. All of their meetings are still on zoom. Even interviews are on zoom. Walking through a restaurant or shopping is a very different experience that trying to make a presentation to children and hear what they say when they are 12 or more feet away.
Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

masks
Old 08-01-2020, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I can't wear the cotton ones in this heat. I find the blue disposable ones much more comfortable and lightweight on my ears. I actually wash them and hang them up to dry.

Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-01-2020, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
I actually wash them and hang them up to dry.
Just really gently with soap and water? I'm so surprised that works! They retain their shape and everything? That could save me a lot of money...

I had considered that if they don't get gross throughout the day, I could set them out at home for a week or more, and then wear that same one again. Any germ on it would't survive sitting out for that long period of time. Since I haven't worn them anywhere near 8 hours at a time though, I wasn't sure if they'd hold up that well anyway.

Lottalove

An Admission
Old 08-02-2020, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
I actually wash them and hang them up to dry.
Just really gently with soap and water? I'm so surprised that works! They retain their shape and everything? That could save me a lot of money...
My DH has this ugly vest that he wears most days--I think it is a sensory thing so I don't bug him about it but...all that to say, he had two different (unused) disposable masks in the pocket that went thru the regular washing machine and BOTH held up just fine. I found them loose in the washer at the end so I just laid them out to air dry. Not sure how many washes it would last though.

I told him then that if we got close to running out, we could consider that. One was the flat, pleated blue/white and the other was the white cup-looking one that has the vertical seam.

We also do what the pp mentioned where we just know it hasn't been used much or recently so it has had time to air out. I just keep my stash separate.

FYI: If you hang it from your rearview mirror so the Vitamin D does the job, TAKE IT DOWN before driving. Some police are warning that the mask creates an unnecessary blind spot. Some states don't allow anything to hang there anyway. You can hang it while parked only.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Sorry to say
Old 08-02-2020, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

But all the breathable mask do nothing to stop a virus. Yes large particles may be stopped, but the tint ones will not be stopped. By wearing mask that are very breathable your doing nothing. Most hospitals and nursing homes, in my area, makes the staff wear a N95 with a surgical mask over it!
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote