BusyBoard

Masks-where to store while at recess

>

ABC

Masks-where to store while at recess
Old 08-03-2020, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all!

I need some help brainstorming! I need somewhere/somehow for kids to hold onto masks while outside. Iíve heard of lanyards, but I donít know if Iím super crazy about that. What do you all think?

ABC is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 08-03-2020, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I donít want to touch or hold student masks. I also wouldnít want to put them together in a basket or something. A lanyard is probably the best idea.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

mask holders
Old 08-03-2020, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am going to use binder clips (some have suggested clips that babies use to not lose their pacifers). I suppose the binder clips are the easiest method - even though it does not sound fancy. I actually think they might work. I agree I don't want to touch the masks either.

I put names on binder clips and I am going to give it a try. I won't know until I try it.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

T.A.R.D.I.S

Old 08-03-2020, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What about zip loc baggies?
T.A.R.D.I.S is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 08-03-2020, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Interesting topic that I had not thought about yet.

Sleddog - tell us more about your binder clip method. What will this look like?

FancyFish - where will students hang their lanyard and mask?

TARDIS- what will you do with the masks once they are in the ziploc bag?

We will need to meet kids at the door so they can put their masks back on before they can come back into the school. How do we get the masks to the door without them touching each other or the teachers touching them? And then to distribute them back out to the kids again while we are social distancing since they won't be wearing masks.

So many things to think about. Please share your ideas and procedures.

all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Lanyard with baggie
Old 08-03-2020, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
What about zip loc baggies?
So I'm guessing you mean when students are out at recess?

My first thought was that they each hang them on a hook of some sort, like maybe a magnet backed hook labeled with their names or numbers. But then I thought they'll need them when they are lined up and waiting to go back into the classroom.

So I second the idea about zip lock baggies, but I still don't know how they would be stored while students are playing. If they are keeping them at all times, then I guess the lanyard with a clip of some sort could hold the sealed baggie. Depending on how actively they will be playing, you would need to be assured the lanyard wouldn't accidentally wrap itself around their necks (as they play on the bars or such) or interfere with any toys (or tools) they might be using.
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Lanyards
Old 08-04-2020, 02:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have name tags on breakaway lanyards. I think I will give the kids clothespins so they can drape and clip their masks to their name tags during recess.

Each class will have equipment to play with, so they will be running around kicking soccer balls and jumping rope. I hope the name tags stay attached!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-04-2020, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If I understand the original post correctly the students are not wearing masks outside for recess . Is this correct? If so I would have the students keep their mask inside the classroom in a basket velcroed to their desk. Do they need their mask when lining up? If so have a couple of rolling clothes racks outside the door with hanging shoe organizers . Each kid has an assigned pocket to put their masks in. Another idea is to have each kid wear a cobblers apron and they can put their mask in their own pocket .
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 08-04-2020, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Yes, my students will have to wear their mask to and from recess. Masks must be worn at all times inside the school building and we do not have an outside door in our classroom, we will need to move through 2 hallways to get outside.

Anna, I like the hanging shoe organizer idea but I am assuming that they would need to be sprayed to disinfect between classes. This could also work for PE class. The racks would be easy enough to move inside at the end of the school day.

The lanyard idea is good too but I afraid they will fall off, get pulled off, or be taken off and the masks will be laying on the ground somewhere getting wet, dirty, and lost. Our play area is grass and gravel. Many girls wear legging type pants so we can't ask them to put their masks in their pockets because they won't have any.

ABC - this was your original thread. What are your ideas?

mommy9298

Old 08-04-2020, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Health care professionals store their masks in brown paper bags. That may be a good option.

mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

All41
Old 08-04-2020, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
FancyFish - where will students hang their lanyard and mask?
Around their neck. It can go out for recess with them.
Truthfully, I really donít know. I just know that I wonít be handling studentís masks, and I wonít be spending my money on a place for them to keep it. I will get a lanyard for my own kids.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

slms

Mask Holders Ideas
Old 08-04-2020, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think my district will buy lanyard holder similar to this one for all students. Here is a Pinterest post on how to make one with a ribbon. I have seen an idea where people used an eyeglass chain to clip on their masks. You can buy some of the chains the dentist use to hold your napkin on your chest when they clean your teeth to give to your students' to keep the mask on their chest. I made one for myself using an old necklace, paper clips and small binder clips. If you do a search on Pinterest for mask holders, there are lots of ideas out there.
slms is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-04-2020, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I would be concerned about anything hanging down from the neck unless it was a quick release object. Why are children playing outside without masks on? Is this considered safe in regards to transmission of the virus? I do see the psychological benefits of being mask free though. Around here everyone avoids being anywhere near anyone doing exercise outdoors without a mask.

Sleddog

Mask holder
Old 08-04-2020, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

all41 - I was planning on having kids clip their mask to their shirt using a binder clip (size mini). Our kids have to wear them to and from recess and many kids wear sweats/yoga pants without pockets.

Our kids are not allowed to wear lanyards unless they have a quick release. Most of the mask lanyards I have seen do not have a quick release (in the event someone grabs it.). This is definetly an area no one has thought about at our school.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

ABC

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2020, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I appreciate all your suggestions!

For a few who asked...yes we have to wear our masks until we get to the outside door. I have to pass by several rooms until we get there, so we canít leave them on our desks, hence the dilemma.

Iím leaning toward the binder clip or some kid fanny packs I saw on Oriental Trading. The least amount of handling and organization is what Iím looking for. I never thought this would be part of my class procedures/management!
ABC is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-04-2020, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Let us know what works out. It's a great question!

VivianCP

Old 08-04-2020, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I know this won't work for OP but we were told masks are to be stored in a paper bag with child's name when not in use. Sounded like we could NOT use plastic bags, fyi. I have't looked up why yet but there is probably a reason.
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Paper vs Ziploc
Old 08-04-2020, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Paper bags are breathable allowing the masks to air/dry out. Ziploc plastic baggies do not allow for that.

SMF

Old 08-04-2020, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

My school will be using brown paper bags. The students will put their mask in a paper bag and the bags will be stored in a dived box when they are outside.
SMF is offline   Reply With Quote

T.A.R.D.I.S

Old 08-04-2020, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

So to expand on the Zip loc baggie idea: They have a baggie with their name (or number, I use numbers) on it. The baggie has a ring on it. I donít know what these rings are called, but I get them from an office store and use them for my headphone baggies. Then they can hang their baggie outside on something. This could be hooks that are in stalled or a rack of some sort, not sure what would be available. They can then grab their baggie when they line up and put their mask back on.

Oh, the things that we have to figure out for this pandemic.
T.A.R.D.I.S is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 08-07-2020, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

If the outside of the mask contains germs donít u think a ziplock bag defeats the purpose of a mask, all the germs from both sides mix together in the bag and get all over both sides of the mask....
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-07-2020, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Quote:
My school will be using brown paper bags. The students will put their mask in a paper bag and the bags will be stored in a dived box when they are outside.
I actually like this idea best. I wonder what box will work for that. Is there an official or are we using liquor boxed with dividers? At this rate teachers will be able to provide those boxes quickly!

We should not have to worry about this!
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

jd019

Masks and recess
Old 08-08-2020, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

My students have to wear their masks when outside at recess since we canít guarantee they will remain physically distanced while playing
jd019 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-08-2020, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Our students are bringing their own masks, so I don't see any problem with putting solving this problem onto the parents. Let them know the student needs pockets, a lanyard, or a fanny pack to keep their mask in when leaving the building.

I don't know why teachers have to solve all of the world problems. Or pay for them.

As of now, when our kids come back they are required to wear masks at all times. Well, except while eating lunch.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

i understand
Old 08-23-2020, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

that mask advise includes not touching the outside of the mask, keeping the inside and outside from touching in any way, and washing hands after taking off or putting on a mask that was previously worn all to avoid cross contamination.

Good luck on achieving that.

Yes, definitely paper, not plastic.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote