>

wildflowerz

Warehouse Membership Club?
Old 08-05-2020, 04:55 AM

Do you belong to one?
Which one?
What do you like to get there?
Is it worth it?

My brother and sister like BJís. They get their paper products there.

My friend loves Costco for meat and car rental.

Iím tempted to join one but I donít want to get sucked into buying things I donít need.

wildflowerz is online now   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Costco
Old 08-05-2020, 04:59 AM

Iíve been a Costco member for years. I get a lot of staple food items, paper products, gas, tires and pet food. Since I live alone, many of their foods are just too much for me unless I want to eat it for my meals all week.

I also use their online ordering to send gifts to family in other states.

I believe Costco will refund your membership if you are not satisfied.

I love their return policy, too.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Shopping clubs
Old 08-05-2020, 05:01 AM

I belong to BJís. I have a credit card attached that gives me cash back so it essentially pays for my membership. I havenít been there since the pandemic.

I used to belong to Costco but unfortunately we donít have one near our new home. I didnít like having to use American Express for this club (I hope it changed) l was always having issues with that credit card. I did like Costco better than BJs.
Irish is online now   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Costco
Old 08-05-2020, 05:15 AM

I love Costco. We've been members for ages. I buy the non-perishables there, cleaners, dish soap, paper products, etc. I love the rotisserie chicken from the deli. They are a good value. I usually can get 3 meals out of one chicken. Baking supplies are also a good value. DH and I have a cheap ($1.50) hot dog lunch there and call it a date. It is worth it.
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 08-05-2020, 05:24 AM

I have a Costco membership. It paid for itself last year when DH and I got new glasses. We went to our own doctor and brought in the prescription. They only take Visa, which we don’t have so I have to pay in cash or write a check. Yes, I still do write an occasional check .

We don’t use our membership as much as a lot of people, but I recently got a great deal on dishwashing tablets and Jet Dry, Oral B replacement heads, batteries, and Crunch Master crackers. Their French vodka is basically Grey Goose — $20 for 1.75 liters and there are those dark chocolate covered pretzel chips!

If you take out the $120 membership and don’t utilize it enough you can get up to $60 back in a rebate check.

ETA— oh, yes, the rotisserie chicken is a great deal also as PP mentioned!

Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 08-05-2020, 05:48 AM

Costco all the way. We get everything there. We have a Costco Citi Bank card and everything goes on it--mortgage, utilities, car insurance, vet visits, absolutely everything goes on that card. I have one bill to pay each month and we get a huge cash back in February. 4% back on gas, 3% restaurants, 2% on Costco purchases, and 1% on everything else. It adds up quick.

Costco has great products, great value, selection, ease. I can't think of anything we don't buy there. It really is a one stop shop for us.
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Old 08-05-2020, 05:51 AM

Costco

Paper products, produce, street taco kits, clothing, bottled water, taco seasoning, gas for our vehicles, rotisserie chicken

We have ordered eye glasses through Costco and have been very pleased.
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Costco
Old 08-05-2020, 06:16 AM

We had BJs for a few years but made the switch to Costco about 2 years ago. Best decision ever! We love Costco. Also their Kirkland brand is really great. Here are our regular purchases:

-rotisserie chicken
-apples / bananas
-salad bags
-laundry detergent
-dish soap
-trash bags
-paper towels
-TP
-contact solution (2 bottles that are larger for basically a little more $ than a reg one costs)
-toothpaste
-prenatal vitamins (bigger bottle & on sale)
-batteries (Kirkland brand is actually made by Duracell)

My DH also bought a high quality foam surfboard to teach our friends on.

Iíve bought other items on sale or that were seasonal. Never regret a purchase but if needed their return policy is outstanding. Honestly, itís just my DH & I with a 19 month old but we definitely get a return on our investment. Plus they give free food samples
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss Binney

Old 08-05-2020, 06:55 AM

I have both Costco and BJ's. I had never heard of BJ's until it came to my area about three years ago. A lot of people in my area were super excited about it coming, but I was completely underwhelmed. It felt like a wannabe Costco...lol. That said, it's only 15 minutes from my house and Costco is 45 minutes. I don't pay for my Costco membership and I can get a BJ's membership for $25 so it's worth it for the handful of things I get there. If I could only choose one - I would choose Costco. The variety of items is better, the produce is superior, and it carries more of the items I actually use.

I always buy toilet paper, paper towels, small cans of pineapple juice, and frozen breakfast items from BJ's. (My Costco doesn't sell Cottonelle and that's my preferred brand.) I typically find paper towels to be a titch cheaper at BJ's, and they have these frozen breakfast frittas that my husband loves.

At Costco, I buy fresh produce, snacks, chips, Rotisserie chicken and the meat from the chicken that's packaged separately, garbage bags, laundry soap, OTC medicine, gum, pre-made food, juice boxes, bottled water, washcloths, etc. We have also purchased eyeglasses from Costco

I buy gas from both. For me, BJ's is cheaper but that's because of where it's located.

Do you use coupons? BJ's will accept manufacturer's coupons, but Costco does not.

As far as getting sucked into buying things I don't need... Yep, it happens. I'm not the most disciplined Costco shopper and definitely stray from my list. But... my budget allows me the flexibility to buy things that I didn't plan for. If it didn't, I would have to be more disciplined.

One last thing... both Costco and BJ's will let you look around before committing. I think(?) Costco will give you a one day pass so you can actually buy something, but I'm not positive. BJ's doesn't require a pass to enter so you can just go in and look around and see what they have.

Good Luck!
Miss Binney is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 08-05-2020, 06:56 AM

I have Costco and BJs membership. I like Costco for the meat and health food/organic options. Honestly, I have BJs for the alcohol

Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

Learn Today

Old 08-05-2020, 07:18 AM

Costco is great! We've belonged for years.
Learn Today is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Costco
Old 08-05-2020, 07:25 AM

I've been a Costco member since way back when it was called 'Price Club'. At that time a friend and I drove the two hours it took to get our items. These days, I have about 3 Costco stores within a 15-45 min drive radius. (In Southern CA we don't count miles, we count how long the drive is, since miles aren't necessarily an indicator of how long it takes to get there due to varying traffic conditions.) I buy a lot of the staples there, but I mostly get gas at Costco. They have very good price as compared to regular gas prices, even tho' there are often long wait lines (which had become non-existent until about Memorial Day, when people seemed to all come out of their homes, again.)
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-05-2020, 07:53 AM

We have Costco and there's just the two of us here. Our list is long and includes cars. We have bought three over the years and wouldn't buy a car any other way. Our list: beef,chicken,kitty litter,coffee,tomato sauce,craft beer,vitamins,eyeglasses,produc e if in small amounts,clothes detergent,dishwasher tablets,baby wipes,paper towels,spices,laptops and office supplies. We get the business membership and the rebate every year pays for the membership every year.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Charlotte

Old 08-05-2020, 08:30 AM

I just got home from spending $170 at Costco. Here's what I bought:

Premier shakes ($7.00 off this week)
Gatorade
rotisserie chicken
salami/cheese snack packs
Pirate's Booty
beef roasts
pork chops
Tide pods ($5.00 off)
watermelon
bell peppers
hot dogs
pico de gallo (love it!)

I'll divide the large packs and vacuum seal most of it to freeze. We also always buy gas there. It's usually 7-8 cents lower than any other place in town.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 08-05-2020, 09:45 AM

We have memberships for Costco and Sam's.

We buy most of our produce there. DH gets tires at Costco. DH buys junk food

And we buy random stuff from time to time--socks, clothing, even furniture. I got our last mattress at Sam's. Holiday stuff, toys for the kids

Just access to the produce is worth the membership for me. We go through a lot at our house and the quality is usually good.

Last edited by ICrazyTeach; 08-05-2020 at 04:58 PM..
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

DSLBUG

Costco
Old 08-05-2020, 10:12 AM

We have had our Costco membership for years. The nearest Costco is 200 miles away, so that tells you how much we love Costco!
DSLBUG is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-05-2020, 01:55 PM

Iíve had Samís Club and Costco. I prefer Costco.

We rarely go to the store, though. Itís 50 miles from here. We usually order.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Costco
Old 08-05-2020, 02:25 PM

Itís just the two of us and we have the Costco Visa card with which you earn money back. We have charged our overseas travel on this card.

Things we purchase:

-Gas- always the cheapest in our area
-Salmon in bulk
-Shrimp
-Quiches (two for the price of one at the grocery)
-Cheese
-Cooked pastas
-Their bakery section is awesome ( for parties and DH)
-Paper products
-Coffee products
-They usually have excellent deals on toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, night creams, face creams, etc.

At Christmas they have great deals on batteries.

If you are into office products, itís a good place to stock up on items.

I know of a handful of people that have bought their hearing aids there and swear by them.

Even them we never leave with a full cart, we definitely save and more than get our moneys worth.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-05-2020, 05:54 PM

Costco
We have the cashback card, and we make back our fee in purchase of gas alone, so everything else is a bonus.

Bread, cheese, nuts, meat, produce, frozen fruit, cereal, laundry detergent, TP, dish soap, garbage bags, and prescriptions are always cheaper at Costco for us. We get other things too, but it's important to check the per ounce/each cost because Costco isn't necessarily always cheaper. Sometimes it's worth it to not get the rock bottom price, but I think some people just assume bulk is automatically less expensive.

DH's trick for not getting sucked in is to never use a cart unless he absolutely has to and never go down an aisle unless he has to.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote